IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

It's 2015.. Do you guys still use your NAV systems or your phones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 11:44 AM
DKIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my IS350 thinking Id use the nav a lot more than my phone, but honestly I rarely use it. I almost always use the phone. I find my 07 navigation to be a pain in the a$$ to set and get going.

The only thing i really like about it when I randomly find my self looking for a specific street, its kinda nice to look at the screen real quickly to see the street name.

If nothing more it may be a nice perk for resale down the road.
Old 01-02-15, 12:41 PM
TomTom236
Driver School Candidate

I like having the navigation screen, but if I'm going anywhere long distance I use waze on my phone and stream directions via bluetooth.
Old 01-02-15, 01:19 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you stream directions via bluetooth? Is the nav displaying whatever that is showing on the phone?? If so, what device do you need to do this? This sounds quite cool lol.
Old 01-02-15, 02:36 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
How do you stream directions via bluetooth? Is the nav displaying whatever that is showing on the phone?? If so, what device do you need to do this? This sounds quite cool lol.
That would be sick and I would get a car with nav just for this feature if possible. But I dont think he means that the display shows maps from the phone. He just has the audio from his phone streaming to his car system -- So when the navigation voice on his phone speaks it comes through his cars speakers.
Old 01-02-15, 04:37 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I went to purchase a used Lexus is350 I was left with 2 options from the left side is a Glacier Frost 07 w/ NO Navi, To the right is a Dark Gray 08 is350 w/ Navi. Same Miles. I didn't even care about the Navi. I pick the none navi and I have no regrets. Because I have a iphone 6 with a Vent Mount kit.

What i'm trying to say is when your a driver who have a habit of turning your heads twice looking left&right over your shoulders to switch lanes without a camera function or not needing a fancy navi but uses your phone conveniently in a safe way for direction, you can live without those things, and like you said yourself, saving atleast 1-2gran from not having those navi package.
Old 01-02-15, 04:44 PM
Sleepy2is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got navi on my car don't even use it just for looks for me
Old 01-02-15, 10:02 PM
Adidas316
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkstvnsn
That would be sick and I would get a car with nav just for this feature if possible. But I dont think he means that the display shows maps from the phone. He just has the audio from his phone streaming to his car system -- So when the navigation voice on his phone speaks it comes through his cars speakers.
He is correct. It just plays the voice directions over my speakers so no it doesn't display my iPhone navigation through my screen. I have seen a couple of videos where someone had mirrored their iPad on their Navi but I believe it was a aftermarket Navi.
Old 01-03-15, 12:52 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree with previous posters as the phone is a little easier and more user friendly than the 2IS nav system. HOWEVER, i absolutely can justify every penny for the nav system as the backup camera is awesome when parking (especially in a busy city that requires parallel parking) or needing directions where you don't have cell phone service, advising/displaying point of interest icons while on interstates (phone requires you to start a search and leave ur navigation screen), and it is nice to be able to display audio information when you put in a CD. It is also nice to not have to have ur phone constantly charging while on road trips simply because using it for navigation absolutely drains a cell phones battery. its also a nice elegant feature for aesthetics. I mean you are buying a luxury car for luxury features... why are u justifying features in order to save a money? I'm all about getting a great deal but if ur trying to strip a luxury vehicle of luxury features you might as well go buy a camry... just my 2 cents.

BTW i do have an iphone 6 and do have a nav system and recently went on a road trip for New Years... used my car for navigation and phone for music. never even thought twice about ditching my car's nav for my phones nav.

And to even further justify the use of car's nav while in a big city... try going to new york or chicago (for example) and use your phone's nav while downtown and driving. the buildings block ur gps so horrifically you will get all sorts of lost if you have no idea where you are going. Learned from experience.

Last edited by jusclark13; 01-03-15 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-03-15, 11:51 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Even the most current built in nav is crappy compared to google maps.

I bought one without Nav because it's easier to change settings without looking at the dash, which is safer to drive, in the end...

I'm happy with my choice. One thing I'd make sure was done is the ground loop isolator install (there was a Service bulletin about it) is done..
Old 01-03-15, 01:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The 2006-2008 cars with Nav have the backup camera and Bluetooth. The cars without Nav have neither. I wasn't aware you could stream from you iphone to the Nav system on the 2006-2008 cars..... are you sure about that?
Old 01-03-15, 04:26 PM
vmichelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sktn77a
The 2006-2008 cars with Nav have the backup camera and Bluetooth. The cars without Nav have neither. I wasn't aware you could stream from you iphone to the Nav system on the 2006-2008 cars..... are you sure about that?
I have an '06 IS350 and I discovered this feature accidentally with Google maps. Plugged in an address and it cut in over my music to give me directions.

I kind of found it nice, but irritating. It treats it as a phone call and takes forever to disconnect and return to music.
Old 01-03-15, 08:24 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Most of the time I use Waze on my phone, because I love the intelligent routing based on crowd sourced info. I also like that Waze gives me a heads-up about things like red-light cameras and speed traps. I was a fan of the OEM system when the car was new, but by now it has become very dated. Remember that this generation of OEM nav came out before even the first-generation iPhone.

That said, I am really glad I have the built-in nav system in the car, because I find the backup camera useful, and think that the interior looks much better and more upscale with the color display.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-03-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-03-15, 08:31 PM
07bsmtis25
Driver School Candidate

^^^^^^^++++++++++1
Old 01-04-15, 03:25 AM
mrfresh
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomiv9
I never use the navigation but am really glad I got it because of the touch screen. It just makes the car look and feel like a modern luxury car. Plus u use the screen to control radio and climate. And is nice to instantly pull up a map.
My thoughts exactly. Simply the look and feel of a modern luxury car makes the navigation / touch screen a must.

The other nice part is having it integrated into the sound system so you get warning and don't miss a a turn.

I also have my navi setup to warn me when I am going to a certain amount over the speed limit to avoid speeding tickets.

Keep in mind you can always buy an aftermarket head unit that looks nearly identical to OEM. I purchased the "FlyAudio" / RoadRover" unit from eBay for $799 shipped and I couldn't be happier.
Old 01-04-15, 07:31 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by vmichelle
I have an '06 IS350 and I discovered this feature accidentally with Google maps. Plugged in an address and it cut in over my music to give me directions.
I kind of found it nice, but irritating. It treats it as a phone call and takes forever to disconnect and return to music.
Ah, OK, 'coz I was pretty sure you can't stream music on the older cars.

Quick Reply: It's 2015.. Do you guys still use your NAV systems or your phones?