IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hi! Random Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-15, 07:40 PM
Dustinsk
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi! Random Questions

Hey all! Ended up purchasing a 2006 IS250 luxury package with 104,000 (12,000miles on the new pistons and top end of engine) miles for $10,000. I've been looking all over the forums for awesome DIY and other things I can do to my IS but as a broke college student most are too expensive. So after searching, I found a lot of answers to my questions, but I have a few more.
My first is. What would be the cheapest and best (doesn't affect sound quality) way to be able to stream music via bluetooth from my iPhone to the car speakers. Rather than purchasing a new deck I saw this DIY (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...sing-a2dp.html). I'm just wondering since that was awhile ago, if thats the way I should go, and if anyone else has done it. I really want to be able to stream music right when I get in my car rather than plug in an AUX cord.
My second question is, how much should I be paying for getting my rims cleaned up (previous owner really scuffed them). I know scuffs do happen, however, I rarely hit curbs when parking and am confident that once they are cleaned up, they will look much better. FYI, I am in San Diego! And to build off that question, how much would you guys estimate it may cost to have my rims powder coated, or another affordable way to black out my rims. Sorry about the long post! I look forward to hearing from you all! Thank you!
Old 01-01-15, 09:02 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not listen to an mp3 player in the IS, so I can not help you out there.

It will cost $400-$500 to powdercoat the rims, but it will cost extra to fix the road rash. It might end up being $600-$800 total.
Old 01-02-15, 06:43 AM
3sm1l
Rookie

Hello and welcome

I bought a Miccus Mini Jack (Search for it on amazon or eBay) it cost around 20 dollars. It is a bluetooth receiver so you can install it on your car. The only thing you need to do to install it is to connect the audio jack to the aux port and get a USB charger for your center console and connect the USB charging cable to the Miccus Mini Jack. Pretty Simple.

The cool thing about this device is that if you keep it connected to the charger it will turn on automatically and connect to the last paired device by itself, sort of like the pre-installed Bluetooth Hands free does on our cars so you don't have to turn it on and pair it manually.
Old 01-02-15, 09:05 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

If I were you I'd sand down the rough spots on the rims and plasti dip them black. Looks excellent and it's cheap.
Old 01-02-15, 11:41 AM
Dustinsk
7th Gear

Sweet! I'll definitely buy that today on Amazon!

And as far as plasti-dipping. My dad keeps telling me to do that. So I guess I'll try it. And I could try sanding my rims myself. Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 01-02-15, 02:42 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dustinsk
Sweet! I'll definitely buy that today on Amazon!

And as far as plasti-dipping. My dad keeps telling me to do that. So I guess I'll try it. And I could try sanding my rims myself. Thanks for all the info guys!
You dont even need to sand them down. Just the rough spots to smooth them out. These are what plasti dipped rims look like

You dont even need to remove your tires. Just make sure you tape off your rotors VERY well
Old 01-02-15, 03:52 PM
Dustinsk
7th Gear

Thanks for the video. Got answers to both my questions thanks! One more quick question. As far as the pretty bad rash spots from the previous owner, what grit sand paper would you use to smooth them down?
Old 01-02-15, 05:56 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dustinsk
Thanks for the video. Got answers to both my questions thanks! One more quick question. As far as the pretty bad rash spots from the previous owner, what grit sand paper would you use to smooth them down?
You probably need to fill it in with something and then sand it down.
Old 01-10-15, 06:42 PM
Dustinsk
7th Gear

Perfect. Thanks for the information. I've also been looking around the forums for brighter lights. I saw installing the 2011+ lights but I can't afford 2500$ right now haha. My question is, can I just buy 'nice, bright' lights for my IS. Currently, the stock ones are pretty 'orange' and dull looking. I'm not looking to change the actual headlight, just change the actual light bulb. And can you guys link me to some bulbs or let me know how much i should be spending. I saw some HID's on eBay for like $45. Is that about right, and is it as simple as just installing the new bulbs? And I'm worried, because I see some HID's that are so bright they actually make the car look worse. So what K would you guys buy? Just looking for a nice new lexus stock look

Last edited by Dustinsk; 01-10-15 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 06:49 PM
dldlaw
Driver School Candidate

Default Aftermarket Navigation Add

Has anyone added a navigation system to your LS 460? If so, can you direct to the appropriate posts on this subject. Thank you.