IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

P2017 code after spark plugs replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 09:48 AM
ClintW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P2017 code after spark plugs replaced

2008 is250, replaced plugs with oem denso and new intake gaskets, put back together and have p2017 code. Runs fine but have the vsc light on. Can anyone confirm that the "yellow" see thru casing box attached to manifold is infact the intake manifold runner valve. If so i have oil coming thru the casing and onto the electrical connector that plugs into the yellow box. Please help
Old 12-29-14, 02:24 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes to do a full system reboot? If I remember right I got a code after I replaced my plugs too; but after I disconnected and rebooted the systems, it never returned.
Old 10-02-15, 08:35 AM
ChadP81
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ClintW
2008 is250, replaced plugs with oem denso and new intake gaskets, put back together and have p2017 code. Runs fine but have the vsc light on. Can anyone confirm that the "yellow" see thru casing box attached to manifold is infact the intake manifold runner valve. If so i have oil coming thru the casing and onto the electrical connector that plugs into the yellow box. Please help
The exact same thing has happened to me except I don't have oil on the electrical connection plugging into the plastic intake. I was wondering what solution you found? Thanks
Old 03-09-16, 05:31 PM
User 2922
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChadP81
The exact same thing has happened to me except I don't have oil on the electrical connection plugging into the plastic intake. I was wondering what solution you found? Thanks
I had the same thing happen to me and have tried doing a system reboot, checking all the plugs, etc. Does anyone have any further advice on what it could be? Thanks.
Old 03-09-16, 06:23 PM
ChadP81
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I finally found my issue.

Originally Posted by ganoe05
I had the same thing happen to me and have tried doing a system reboot, checking all the plugs, etc. Does anyone have any further advice on what it could be? Thanks.
It was a loose wire in the sensor under the plastic intake on the passenger side. I took the connector apart and re sodered the wire in place. I took that intake on and off several times before I found it. It didn't look loose, I had to pull each individual wire to find it.

I uploaded a pic. Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
cfauvel (07-15-21)
Old 07-15-21, 10:58 AM
hollowtree
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChadP81
It was a loose wire in the sensor under the plastic intake on the passenger side. I took the connector apart and re sodered the wire in place. I took that intake on and off several times before I found it. It didn't look loose, I had to pull each individual wire to find it.

I uploaded a pic. Hope this helps
Just wanted to let people know this was my issue as well. Pulled the intake manifold (plenum) out again and the same gray wire was loose/disconnected from the connector. I ordered a new OEM wire from Lexus (82219-30021) which was ~$30 incl. tax and picked it up next day, re-installed everything, and the check engine light went off. P2017 corresponds to the SCV position sensor having > 4.8V supplied to it for more than 0.5 seconds or something like that, so it wasn't surprising that when I went to take a look, the gray wire had been ripped out.

I think the reason why it ripped out was because I had no clue the connector was mounted to the intake plenum at the back. Most DIY videos/tutorials don't really mention this part (out of the 4 or 5 videos on YouTube right now, only one actually showed him dismounting the connector first), so when I was jostling it around trying to get it out, it probably yanked the wire out.
The following 2 users liked this post by hollowtree:
cfauvel (07-15-21), Turbonic (11-30-21)
Old 07-15-21, 11:02 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by hollowtree
Just wanted to let people know this was my issue as well. Pulled the intake manifold (plenum) out again and the same gray wire was loose/disconnected from the connector. I ordered a new OEM wire from Lexus (82219-30021) which was ~$30 incl. tax and picked it up next day, re-installed everything, and the check engine light went off. P2017 corresponds to the SCV position sensor having > 4.8V supplied to it for more than 0.5 seconds or something like that, so it wasn't surprising that when I went to take a look, the gray wire had been ripped out.

I think the reason why it ripped out was because I had no clue the connector was mounted to the intake plenum at the back. Most DIY videos/tutorials don't really mention this part (out of the 4 or 5 videos on YouTube right now, only one actually showed him dismounting the connector first), so when I was jostling it around trying to get it out, it probably yanked the wire out.
The motor side has a nut on it that comes loose over time. It drives the butterflies on the lower intake. Coincidence that I just mentioned it a few minutes ago on a post.

If you ever run into this you can view the solution here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-solution.html