IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What do 2IS owners think of the 3IS?

Old 12-23-14, 08:24 AM
statename
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3IS should have been a bigger step up, some kind of development on the 2GR-FSE should have been done! Look what Lotus and Cosworth have done with the 2GR-FE. I've driven the 3IS multiple times, and yes the 2 biggest differences are the transmission and the new rear suspension, and they are noticeable, but after 8 years this is all they have done?

The transmission in the 2IS is its weakest point and makes the car feel older, but Lexus was very clever when they designed the 2IS and the gearing is really nice and very well thought out, if someone developed an after market electronic shift controller for the 2IS I think the car would really come alive and feel like a new car. My 2IS is not a track car, i'm looking for an engaging road car that handles predictably, somewhat flat, makes a good noise and feels quick. If i had a stock 2IS to compare to a 3IS I am positive i would choose the 3IS, but its been a while since i've driven a stock 2IS.

The new styling really throws me off Lexus, and i dont think time will be kind to the 3IS and RC-F In the past they made such beautiful cars, that had such elegant shapes. The SC400/300, 2GS, SC430 and 2IS are just beautiful cars. Lexus is now following styling trends (mainly audi) instead of leading them. The FT-1 is beautiful make it!
Old 12-23-14, 08:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I loved my 2IS for the 8 years I had it, but after 8 years you move on to bigger and better things.
Old 12-23-14, 08:36 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Oh boy where should I start?

3IS will destroy a 2IS on the track. I have tracked both. The suspension, chassis, transmission, electronics are far superior. The way the 2IS handles shifting was a total joke not being true manual mode with the top gear selector programming. This made zero sense in a performance standpoint. 8AT is from the ISF and it shifts way faster in M mode than the 6AT ever did. The C&D lightning lap the 3IS (3:13.4) actually BEAT the 08 ISF did (3:14.0), that is how much better the chassis and suspension are. Yes the drivers and conditions were probably different but shouldnt have made that huge of a difference. That goes to show how far the 3IS chassis/suspension have come. Imagine if they put the 5.0 V8 in the new chassis. FYI the LFA engineers worked on the 3IS when the LFA was finished. 2IS ride is harsher and more jittery, yet the car handled worse. 3IS feels much more comfortable yet it handles better.

Yea 3IS is 66# heavier, theres 3 extra inches of wheelbase. The rear seats have 3 more inches of legroom, and they fold 60/40. Yes the 2IS has a more aggressive rear gear in the differential so it is a tad faster in a 0-60. Doors on 3IS shut far more solid than the 2IS did, and the 3IS is much quieter than the 2IS. Disagree there. The 3IS felt eerily quiet so I got a JoeZ exhaust for it. 3IS suspension stiffens in Sport+ mode. So yes there are places where weight is justified. The seats in the 2IS are trash compared to the F Sport 3IS seats, they sit lower and have much better support. 2IS feels like Im sitting in an ES. My mom uses my 2IS now and when I get back in it to drive it, you can tell the differences immediately.

2IS engine bay being covered was something I do not miss at all. Made it a pain to work on that car since I had to remove 20 clips and multiple covers. Im glad they ditched that on the 3IS.

It is clearly obvious that some here do not have extensive experience with both. I am a rare example of a 2IS and 3IS owner that still has the 2IS around for a direct comparison. There is a reason why the 3IS beat the 335 in some tests and the 2IS never got close. The only thing I miss from the 2IS is how aggressive the rear diff gearing was.
+1 That is exactly it! I agree with you! As I mentioned earlier, I have autocross in both IS250 and IS350 (2nd generation) and IS250 and IS350 F Sport package (3rd generation) and can confirm that 3IS handles a lot better than 2IS.

Note that I owned 2IS (IS250 and IS350). I have also been invited to a Lexus Lane Changing event few years ago where I test drove both brand new IS250, IS350 F Sport, Audi A4, BMW 335i, Benz C class on autocross.

Because of this improvement, I'm saving money for the next car and possibly trade in 2012 IS250 + money so the following cars are currently in my future consideration.
1. New Lexus IS350 F Sport
2. New Lexus RCF 350 F Sport
3. New BMW 235i with M package
4. Used Lexus ISF
5. Used BMW M3
How would you rank them in your opinion?

In summary,
3IS > 2IS = substance over form!
2IS > 3IS = form over substance!

You have to drive the 3IS especially the ones with F Sport package to appreciate its awesome handling!

To EVERYONE:
Do NOT judge the 3IS based on its look. Drive the 3IS hard and you will appreciate its smooth and awesome handling!

Last edited by FSportIS; 12-23-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 09:07 AM
statename
Driver School Candidate

I guess i really just don't understand why you would get a new IS f-sport when you could keep your old IS for the road and get an FR-S to play with at the track, but to each his own.
Old 12-23-14, 09:36 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by statename
I guess i really just don't understand why you would get a new IS f-sport when you could keep your old IS for the road and get an FR-S to play with at the track, but to each his own.
I want a car that is balanced for everything: smooth on daily driving, luxurious, comfortable, good looking inside and outside, reliable, fun to drive, and perform fine on occasional autocross and track. Lexus IS meets all these expectations.

I have considered Honda S2k, Miata, FR-S, Sti, Evo ... Even though these perform quite well on autocross/tracks. They lack some of these factors I were looking for.

Also, it is exclusive when you drive the Lexus IS out to autocross/track because not many of these are out there You will see a lot of Honda s2k, Miata, Porsche etc but very few Lexus.
Old 12-23-14, 10:31 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

When they announced the same engine, i stopped caring
Old 12-23-14, 10:51 AM
AlphaVip
Driver School Candidate

Personally I like the exterior of the 2IS better. The 3IS is a bit more aggressive in looks, less luxurious and more sporty. If I wanted more of a sports car I would have gone with a 370z or something. I can't say one is better than the other though, they're just different looks.
Old 12-23-14, 11:06 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Not getting 3IS until they have turbo + MT....
Old 12-23-14, 04:59 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Also, it is exclusive when you drive the Lexus IS out to autocross/track because not many of these are out there You will see a lot of Honda s2k, Miata, Porsche etc but very few Lexus.
That's very true. Every time I go to an autocross, there's always someone in the group that thinks the IS350 is either a 4 cylinder or a FWD car.
Old 12-23-14, 11:40 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 595 Likes on 382 Posts

I hope to get 300,000 miles out of my 2010 IS 250 AWD.

I like the new 3IS....but I think the interior looks cheap. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my upgraded semi-aniline perforated black leather seats with white stitching in my 2IS. I think NuLuxe is a poor excuse for seat coverings in a luxury car.

I have put 120,00 miles on her in 52 months....and will drive her until she dies....

If Lexus offers a semi-aniline leather interior in Red I may consider buying a new car.

I think one of the important factors in gauging someone's opinion on ANYTHING is asking if that person even has an option to buy EITHER CAR. It's like all of the countless people offering their opinions on Ferraris. What does your opinion mean if you aren't the target market?
Old 12-24-14, 06:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't get past the front end. I've come around on the design otherwise, but I just hate that spindle grille. I haven't really spent any time inside, so I can't comment on the interior, other than I like the LFA style gauges in the F-Sport. I'll probably ask for a 3IS when they get the parts for the fuel gasket recall, so I can check it out.

But, the real kicker for me is that I'm not going to pony up for a new car, and get the exact same engine and drivetrain I have in my 8 year old car. When I got the 2IS, 204 hp wasn't that far behind BMW (the smaller engine) and Audi, although the G35 had way more power for not much more money. Now, BMW has upped the ante while putting in a smaller engine; Audi has increased HP, Caddy has a real competitor with a way more powerful turbo engine. Even the Buick Regal GS has way more power. I can't justify re-upping with a 3IS, even if I loved the design. Same goes for those who have an IS350--no change in the engine. I just think that's bush league.

And--if I was going to move up to an IS350, I think I'd take the same money and just get an S3.
Old 12-24-14, 09:04 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of the 3IS exterior styling. I'm seeing more and more of them on the street nowadays so I'm slowly getting used to the look but I think that the 2IS styling is much better. I've had my IS350 for over 7 years now and I still turn around when walking away from it to catch a last glimpse of it. Sometimes, with the right lighting, it looks so stunning I stop and take a picture.

I've not driven the 3IS but I've sat in in for a long time while waiting for something at the dealership. Visually the interior is OK but I did not like the feel of it. It felt cheap to to me, especially the buttons. I also prefer the touchscreen of the 2IS.
My 2IS has a modified suspension. It is a bit stiff but goes around corners like it's on rails. I wish I could do a timed lap in my 2IS and then in an 3IS to compare but I doubt there would be a big difference. I also love how my 2IS accelerates from a stop (come on, I can get a jump on an IS F).

So no, for me, there is no reason to go from my 2IS to a 3IS.............. now, if GS F becomes a reality, I'll give it a serious consideration.

Last edited by oblivionis; 12-24-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-24-14, 09:37 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have bought the 3rd if they had an entirely new engine with more horsepower, but it looks like the only lexus that interests me is the RCF.
Old 12-24-14, 08:37 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote a nice, detailed comparison of between the 3IS and the 2IS since both of them are sitting out on the driveway but the site token expired and all my thoughts and comparisons are gone.

Long story short, the 3IS has a lot of nice little details that make it a nicer car overall compared to the 2IS (windows slowing down at the top or bottom on AUTO, shifter covered in leather, 60/40 split rear seats, LED lit door cups, HIDs standard, LED fogs (2015 and up)). This is especially true in the interior where the dash takes a nod to the LFA and the seats on the 3IS are superior to the 2IS. Additionally, I personally like the analog clock much better than the digital one that is found on the 2IS. And on the road the 3IS is a smoother, quieter, and shaper handling car compared to the previous generation (though drivetrain differences, RWD vs AWD, and the weight in addition to a 98k mileage difference is also to be considered). Exterior is a love-it or hate-it but I prefer the F-Sport spindle grille and the 3IS has a nice low stance compared to the 2IS especially with the RWD F-Sport variants. All in all, either generation of the IS is great; what is important is what you want out of it.

Additionally, Brian Cooley of cnet has a great, fair review of the 3IS with the good and bad laid out. http://www.cnet.com/videos/link/uj9F...joQIVANfmUk9R/

If I had to pick a non-F performance car (no IS F or RC F), I'd pick a Nebula Gray 3rd generation IS 350 F-Sport RWD with NAV and BSM tech hands down over any other IS.

A pic of my AWD 2IS and the family's RWD 3IS.
Attached Thumbnails What do 2IS owners think of the 3IS?-2014-12-13-08.18.02.jpg  
Old 12-25-14, 05:11 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 3IS overall looks more updated. I really like the taillights and the car looks great in a dark color like black.

For the front, I don't look the small headlights shape and the large gap between the the LED DRL and the headlights. The RC/RCF headlights and LED DRL are just right. The grille I can get used to but I've always liked how the GS had the horizontal split in the middle.