IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 08:00 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by synrgy350
Material is the same soft touch plastic, and the leather on the door panel looks/feels very nice (although synthetic leather of course). The plastic is very matte, no shininess at all. Install was very good, no abnormal panel gaps or noises, in fact I had a very small buzz in the dash when going over bumps and that appears to have been fixed. Again, the only downside is the horrible smell, its not new car, more of a plastic chemical mixed with....smoke? I'm leaving it with the windows down in the garage to air it out.
Interesting... They replaced the ENTIRE door panel instead of removing just the top part? I haven't bothered removing my door panels yet, but I'd assume it'd be a 2 piece thing...

The new dash I got in the Camry a few weeks before I got the 350 smelled bad for about a week. It was pretty much the same material in that situation, just changed so the melting/glare wouldn't happen again.
Old 11-07-15, 10:51 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allstar319
Interesting... They replaced the ENTIRE door panel instead of removing just the top part? I haven't bothered removing my door panels yet, but I'd assume it'd be a 2 piece thing...

The new dash I got in the Camry a few weeks before I got the 350 smelled bad for about a week. It was pretty much the same material in that situation, just changed so the melting/glare wouldn't happen again.
Yes the door panels are a single piece so replacing it means the whole thing is new. That was nice because I had a couple scuffs on the aluminum looking plastic door pull. The only piece they re-use is the window switch plate.
Old 11-08-15, 08:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A related question. My melting dash needs replacing. So does my tachometer and speedometer needles, which are half out. If I have the dealer do the dash, is it in any way related to having the instrument panel removed? My thinking is if it does have to come out, maybe I can save a lot of labor cost and have the needles done at the same time.
Anyone have any thought on this or know if the gauge area gets removed or exposed during the dash replacement process?
Old 11-08-15, 09:56 PM
jameslathr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The smell is glue btw. Goes away with time as the glue finishes setting.
Old 11-08-15, 10:06 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A related question. My melting dash needs replacing. So does my tachometer and speedometer needles, which are half out. If I have the dealer do the dash, is it in any way related to having the instrument panel removed? My thinking is if it does have to come out, maybe I can save a lot of labor cost and have the needles done at the same time.
Anyone have any thought on this or know if the gauge area gets removed or exposed during the dash replacement process?
It takes less than 10 minutes to remove the cluster so I don't see any real saving there. Also, I don't think the dealer will fix the needles so you will have to get them done somewhere else.
Old 11-09-15, 06:23 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
It takes less than 10 minutes to remove the cluster so I don't see any real saving there. Also, I don't think the dealer will fix the needles so you will have to get them done somewhere else.
is it the less in the needles that are out? i have seen a diy for swapping the LEDs in the cluster but i forgot where. my cluster was replaced by lexus under warranty because the during startup sequence you could hear gears grinding. but then i later found out that the fog lights had an indicator that was burned out on my original too so i made out like a champ
Old 11-09-15, 08:02 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fojo
is it the less in the needles that are out? i have seen a diy for swapping the LEDs in the cluster but i forgot where. my cluster was replaced by lexus under warranty because the during startup sequence you could hear gears grinding. but then i later found out that the fog lights had an indicator that was burned out on my original too so i made out like a champ
Yes, the LEDs on the needles usually burnt-out. There are a few diy out there but they are not for the faint heart and require some decent soldering skills and equipment. It took me awhile to figure out how to do it properly and many trials to get the right LED to get the best color and brightness.
You are correct, dealers will not fix the cluster (even for a simple burnt-out LED).
Old 11-09-15, 08:41 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Yes, the LEDs on the needles usually burnt-out. There are a few diy out there but they are not for the faint heart and require some decent soldering skills and equipment. It took me awhile to figure out how to do it properly and many trials to get the right LED to get the best color and brightness.
You are correct, dealers will not fix the cluster (even for a simple burnt-out LED).
no, the dealer DID replace my cluster. not for the LED though but for the grinding. If your car is still under warranty maybe you could mention it. the service advisor knows me by name because i took full advantage of my extended warranty and i was in there every other week lol, so maybe that helped
Old 11-09-15, 11:14 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fojo
no, the dealer DID replace my cluster. not for the LED though but for the grinding. If your car is still under warranty maybe you could mention it. the service advisor knows me by name because i took full advantage of my extended warranty and i was in there every other week lol, so maybe that helped
What i meant was that dealer will not "FIX/REPAIR" cluster, period. Of course, they will "REPLACE" the cluster if the car is still under warranty.
Old 11-09-15, 11:18 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

durr, my bad
Old 11-09-15, 06:01 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

My 2007 IS350 got new Dash & doorpanels today! Looks better than when I bought it new. No smell either.

IS350 is for sale here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ml#post9247295
Old 11-09-15, 08:05 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

called today and they tell me another 30 days because parts are coming out of japan.....
Old 11-10-15, 11:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I was planning to pay the dealer to fix the needles if there were some cost advantage while the dash was being done (I am way out of warranty for the needles).
Not to get off topic, but what part of fixing the needles jacks up the cost? If it's not the removal of them, is it the electrical portion? If it's as costly as I once thought I read, maybe my idea of having it all done with the dash replacement is a failed thought...
Old 11-11-15, 04:18 PM
flyfl1pguy

anyone has any pics of their new dash?
Old 11-11-15, 05:52 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
anyone has any pics of their new dash?
No because it looks just like when the car was new!

Quick Reply: FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!