IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 01:58 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jameslathr
I just bought a used 2006 lexus IS350 and I definitely realized today I have a melty/sticky dash and sides...

How does a 4th/5th owner of a 2006 car go about getting it fixed? is it expensive?
go to the dealer and express your concern. if they don't tell you about the extended warranty program, inform them of it and at the same time talk to lexus corporate. You will be put in a que to receive replacement parts at no cost to you.
Old 10-27-15, 08:37 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

I went to the dealer today to get my "inspection" completed. 30 minutes and 1 car wash and I now have a new dashboard and 4 door panels on order. And, lucky me, I ge to do it again with the wife's rx350 next.
Old 10-29-15, 03:54 AM
anish3232
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
That's what i was told, but Lexus corporate says dash & panels are shipped together in same pkg. I get 2 different stories every time I inquire!
Strange, well the advisor called me a few days back and said 3 of the 4 door panels were in..... No idea what's going on. I was able to see the dash being replaced on a RX and the box was massive but don't think the door panels would be in the same box. I still do not know how they got 3/4 door panels. Oh well, if he's giving me the run around I'm going to just drop my car off on Monday and drive their loaner around until it's all fixed.
Old 11-03-15, 10:05 AM
Fireman21
Rookie

My wife drives a 2008 Lexus ES350 and parks in the garage at home but outside at work (RN) but uses a vehicle specific sun shade for the windshield and the side and rear windows have 5% 3M limo tint.

The dash is fine..... but the bottom right of the dash where it meets the center console by the shifter... the damn console is lifting up. Like the adhesive gave way and the material is just hanging there like loose skin.

To clarify, the dash is fine and the area surrounding the radio is all good. The console (made from the same soft touch material) is starting to peel up and melt at the joint where the dash and center console meet.

Do you think they will cover it?
Old 11-04-15, 02:06 PM
chantra
Driver School Candidate

Make sure you get to the Lexus dealerships and be put on a waiting list because from what I heard, the dealership can only have one complete set at a time.
I will be waiting for at least 4 months as of 11/04/15.
Old 11-04-15, 03:09 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Going tomorrow for my inspection. I've been told door panels will be a while as they're already on backorder.

@Fireman - I would imagine it'd be eligible for it. Just be sure to point that out.
Old 11-04-15, 04:50 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone gotten them replaced yet, possibly in the past with the reimbursement? i know they are on backorder and the rest of us will be waiting forever. If you have had them replaced how is the quality of the new ones? they aren't hard and plasticky now are they? also did the squeaking and rattling from behind the dash and door panels get better or worse afterwards? I was thinking of handing the techs a can of 3m silicone spray and a bunch of felt and tell them to go crazy when they do this dash and door fix
Old 11-04-15, 06:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Anyone in SoCal.. Receive a time frame for replacement of dash & door panels ???

Asking for a friend with a melted / gooy dash in his 2006 IS350

Thanks

Joe Z
Old 11-06-15, 10:27 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer finally called to set up an appointment next Wednesday to bring the car in for the dash and door panels replacement. I'm in Colorado, going to Stevinson Lexus of Frederick. Will report back when it's done.

Last edited by my07is350; 11-06-15 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 10:30 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Dash is ordered, said to check with them, or they'll call me, in 3 weeks if its there. Door panels (I think they only ordered me the front 2, I may have to confirm that) said a couple months, they haven't had any door panels sent in at all yet.
Old 11-07-15, 09:21 AM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my dash and front door panels replaced in my 350. Done at Roseville Lexus. They didn't do the rear door panels because I have limo tint back there and the panels look like new. Car smells really bad now though, its almost a tupperware kind of smell! In total, waited about two weeks after inspection for parts to come in, then another two days to do the work.
Old 11-07-15, 02:56 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by synrgy350
Just got my dash and front door panels replaced in my 350. Done at Roseville Lexus. They didn't do the rear door panels because I have limo tint back there and the panels look like new. Car smells really bad now though, its almost a tupperware kind of smell! In total, waited about two weeks after inspection for parts to come in, then another two days to do the work.
Things are rolling pretty fast in CA now from what I saw. Congrats.
Old 11-07-15, 05:13 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

hows the quality of the new materials/install? is it still soft touch?
Old 11-07-15, 06:51 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fojo
hows the quality of the new materials/install? is it still soft touch?
Material is the same soft touch plastic, and the leather on the door panel looks/feels very nice (although synthetic leather of course). The plastic is very matte, no shininess at all. Install was very good, no abnormal panel gaps or noises, in fact I had a very small buzz in the dash when going over bumps and that appears to have been fixed. Again, the only downside is the horrible smell, its not new car, more of a plastic chemical mixed with....smoke? I'm leaving it with the windows down in the garage to air it out.
Old 11-07-15, 07:24 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Material is the same soft touch plastic, and the leather on the door panel looks/feels very nice (although synthetic leather of course). The plastic is very matte, no shininess at all. Install was very good, no abnormal panel gaps or noises, in fact I had a very small buzz in the dash when going over bumps and that appears to have been fixed. Again, the only downside is the horrible smell, its not new car, more of a plastic chemical mixed with....smoke? I'm leaving it with the windows down in the garage to air it out.
eh, as far as i know in my 06 the door panels have real leather! i noticed whenever i get a newer loaner version of my IS, there is less real leather than the older ones. Im glad its still soft touch though. If they moved to some harder crap I would have been pissed. I was hoping for the new car smell again, i guess tupperware will have to do then

Quick Reply: FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!