IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!

Old 03-19-15, 09:54 AM
sealioo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer said they'll have the parts and do the replacements in May/June.
Old 03-20-15, 01:15 PM
anish3232
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I really hope Lexus replaces my dash, I am a little worried. Back in Dec 2012, my Nav screen touch was gone and they replaced the navigation display. After getting the car back, I called Lexus and told them the dash was damaged and they blamed it on a previous repair at another Lexus dealer. Really ****ty, most recently my airbag harness went bad and they replaced it. After that repair, the dashboard looks like it went to hell. The dealer forgot to plug the GPS antenna, so it went back within 1 week of the airbag harness replacement. I told them again, they damaged the dashboard further. Now, it looks worse, every time they mess behind the A/C vents and Nav it gets damaged further. The latest ticket, has a note previous damage, so pretty much the tech covered his ***. However, I have well documented pictures.

Again, I have never tried to do any type of work on the radio/nav unit on my own, all repairs and service has been completed by Lexus (besides tires). Let me know, I already talked to my service adviser and he seems like a nice guy and said he would be on my side. But who knows, they are all aholes at the end of it.

Let me know if you think Lexus will give me any problems.

Photo 1&2 are from December 2012
Photo 3&4 are from March 9ish 2015
Next post pictures are from March 18 2015.
Attached Thumbnails FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!-photo-1.jpg   FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!-photo-2.jpg   FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!-photo-3.jpg   FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-20-15, 01:17 PM
anish3232
Driver

Photo 5 & 6 from latest repair. The dealer keeps telling me since Dec 2012 to contact Lexus Customer Service, they keep saying its a dealer issue and the car is too old. I have Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty till October 2017.

There are actual chunks of dashboard now missing and you can see green behind it. I am pretty pissed about the quality of these dashboards, I was happy to hear about this replacement coming out, however I am worried they will just say previous damage and tell me I am out of luck.
Attached Thumbnails FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!-image.jpg   FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!-image-2.jpg  
Old 03-20-15, 06:51 PM
derboeseko
Driver School Candidate

Nah it won't matter. They'll replace it. I wouldn't worry.
Old 03-20-15, 08:01 PM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The May/June timeline is accurate as to the official rollout campaign. It's about time as there are still loyal owners despite the repeated outcry for 7years or more about this issue. Also, the pictures of the dash damage shouldn't matter as it qualifies your dash and door cards for replacement - they will all exhibit the same tendency to fall apart despite the type of abrasion (eventually you or an object will brush up to the door and chunks will gouge off, it will split etc.).

I just had mine assessed and the parts have been ordered. Looking forward to posting pics when the new ones come in.
Old 03-20-15, 08:46 PM
85celicaXX
Driver School Candidate

I just bought my is350 in February. I have not got a letter yet. Should I worry about that. The dash has 2 cracks that start at the corners of the nav unit vents toward the front about 12 inches long. The dash is all chunked up like the pictures a few post back. the door panels are fine so far. I also registered on the lexus driver's site like a few pages back suggested. Curious if they would order the parts and let the owner install.
Old 03-21-15, 12:01 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Anish, I don't know if that would be covered. Since that is physical damage from another tool. I thought the TSIB only covers natural deterioration of the dash from the sun, heat, cold, etc.

Whichever dealership you went to get your car repaired should be responsible for the damages. I would have raised hell when I received the car back in that condition for service.
Old 03-21-15, 06:40 PM
anish3232
Driver

That is what I am afraid of. I had Lexus pick up and drop off my car at the airport so I did not see it until I picked the car up from the airport. I called the service advisor right away and sent him pictures of before and after. I will raise hell by this week if he doesn't respond.

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Anish, I don't know if that would be covered. Since that is physical damage from another tool. I thought the TSIB only covers natural deterioration of the dash from the sun, heat, cold, etc.

Whichever dealership you went to get your car repaired should be responsible for the damages. I would have raised hell when I received the car back in that condition for service.
Old 03-21-15, 07:54 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anish3232
Photo 5 & 6 from latest repair. The dealer keeps telling me since Dec 2012 to contact Lexus Customer Service, they keep saying its a dealer issue and the car is too old. I have Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty till October 2017.

There are actual chunks of dashboard now missing and you can see green behind it. I am pretty pissed about the quality of these dashboards, I was happy to hear about this replacement coming out, however I am worried they will just say previous damage and tell me I am out of luck.
Mine looks exactly like yours. Also it is coming apart at the front where the Lexus sunshade we use touches it (the shade is being stained a blue/black color from the dash sticking to it) and also if you brush a fingernail against it, your nail gets caked with black crumbles/goo and a nice scrape is left in the dash. I'm second owner of the 2006 IS350, and when I bought it there were the marks along the top of the vents like you have shown and the gouges with the white showing through near the start button and opposite side of the navi unit. Previous owner said the Navi unit was replaced at one point because of it not functioning and that's where the marks had come from.

While my dash doesn't really have the "shine" to it that reflects sun, I can't clean it off because whatever I touch it with will stick to it in places. The front door panels are the same way, but mostly around the front side of the door pull near the switches it is shiny/sticky and again comes up easily if brushed with a watch/ring/fingernail.

Hopefully I won't have issue when I go to see about it being replaced. It is due for the next service in May and I'll inquire about it then.
Old 03-24-15, 08:35 AM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

I dropped off my car to dealer on Saturday morning for them to take photos of the dash, they also has some other recalls to perform on my car so they set me up with a loaner.
The service writer mentioned that the dash will not be an issue be he did not see any warranty enhancement on the doors? My driver has a good amount of chipping on it. Does anyone have anything about door panel replacement?
Old 04-05-15, 11:17 AM
boss22
Driver

Dzizzz bro!! Whoever has performed this repair had no idea what he was doing!!
This looks like he put a screwdriver in between, totaly screwed up your dashboard and the job!! They should use special rubberized pry tool to that kind of job. I will be pissed as f... If they did this sh...t to my dashboard, they should replace it for you without even saying a word.
Unbelieveable how Lexus dealer which you trust the most could ever hire this kind of du...b a.s!!
Old 04-05-15, 12:23 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

That is what I am afraid of. I had Lexus pick up and drop off my car at the airport so I did not see it until I picked the car up from the airport. I called the service advisor right away and sent him pictures of before and after. I will raise hell by this week if he doesn't respond.
Keep us updated with what the dealer does.
Old 04-05-15, 04:58 PM
anish3232
Driver

Service advisor had put notes jb the system and left my last service ticket open until the recall parts are available. I really won't know much until May/June.

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Keep us updated with what the dealer does.
Old 04-05-15, 05:23 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Only thing I see in my dash is a small spilt but the passenger air vent. Other then that it's great. wonder if I should still have them change it.

I only hear a squeak here and there in the car.
Old 04-06-15, 01:30 PM
kingdave
Driver School Candidate

I got my letter in January. Unfortunately it came more than a year after I'd already paid $1100 to have the dash replaced. The letter states that I "might" be eligible for reimbursement. For grins, I sent in copies of all of the documentation the original letter specified. Then I waited for two months until I got another letter asking for more copies of the same documentation I'd originally sent in. This doesn't give me high hopes for a satisfactory outcome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FINALLY our 2 gen IS dash and door panels will be replaced!!!!