IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

60K mile service cost reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 12:07 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60K mile service cost reasonable?

I'm due for my 60K mile service and my dealer is quoting $659 for the service which includes the following:

Oil change
Replace Air Conditioning Filter
Replace Air Filter
Replace Brake Fluid
Replace Spark Plugs
Replace Smart Key Battery (1 provided with service)
Remove Tires and Inspect Brakes
Inspect Automatic Transmission Fluid
Inspect Ball Joints & Dust covers
Inspect Body
Inspect Differential Oil (rear wheel drive)
Inspect Disc & Drum Brake system
Inspect Drive Belts
Inspect Drive Shaft boots
Inspect Exhaust System pipes & mounting
Inspect Fuel lines & Connections
Inspect Fuel tank gas cap gasket
Inspect Steering Linkages
Inspect Steering rack & pinion Assy for leakage
Road Test Vehicle
Loaner vehicle if needed

Does this seem like a reasonable price? I don't have the expertise or the time to do any of these myself, so don't even go there ;-)
Old 12-16-14, 12:34 PM
sichigo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To give you an idea of what it's like to do it else where, it is a 3 hr job and the 60k tune up kit cost about $200 shipped from Sewell.
Old 12-16-14, 12:58 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Please ask the dealership how exactly they intend to inspect the auto trans fluid in your 2IS? I'll assume it is an automatic trans; and being so, it is a totally sealed unit with no dipstick.
Old 12-16-14, 01:13 PM
AlphaVip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find out how much they're charging you for parts. It might be cheaper if you buy the parts elsewhere and have them do the work.

Not trying to thread jack but does anybody know the best place to get spark plugs for the IS?
Old 12-16-14, 01:35 PM
jst17
Driver

sounds decently reasonable. I know that La carte brake fluid change is about $100, and spark plugs along costs $240(dealer price), plus the is350's spark plugs are more difficult to get to than is250, so labour should be a couple hours. Filter wise, OEM cabin filter is $45, and $35 for engine air filter.

Also, you might want to change the transmission fluid.
Old 12-16-14, 02:01 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should order the 60K mile kit from sewell. register with your CL username and you'll get a discount. You can bring it to dealer and you'll save some money. You really should do the cabin and engine air filters yourself too, to save even more, but your choice.
Old 12-16-14, 02:07 PM
littleyan9
Rookie

Totally forgot about the 60k checkup.

I am actually waiting for my car to get an oil change now. Haha seems like a lot of inspecting
Old 12-16-14, 02:09 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I did and will save you money. Order 60k service kit from sewell. Change cabin and air filter yourself. Will take no more than 20 min. Then pay a good independent shop to change your spark plugs and brake fluid. All other stuff is just inspection.
Old 12-16-14, 02:16 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Why go to the stealer? Go to an Independent mechanic and drop a fraction of what the stealer is charging you.
Old 12-16-14, 03:06 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Please ask the dealership how exactly they intend to inspect the auto trans fluid in your 2IS? I'll assume it is an automatic trans; and being so, it is a totally sealed unit with no dipstick.
I asked them this and the response I got was "There is an overflow procedure that can be done to inspect the fluid". I don't know what that entails.
Old 12-16-14, 03:27 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomiv9
You should order the 60K mile kit from sewell. register with your CL username and you'll get a discount. You can bring it to dealer and you'll save some money. You really should do the cabin and engine air filters yourself too, to save even more, but your choice.
My Lexus dealer does not use any parts other than their own, ever.

The independent shops warn me that if I bring my own spark plugs and anything goes wrong with them they will not be covered under warranty. One gave me a quote of $490 for the spark plugs and engine/cabin filters.

So I'm thinking that the dealership price is not too bad given that it also includes brake fluid replacement and above all else peace of mind. A bonus is that the service will show up on my vehicle history.

I know a lot of forum members take pride in saving $$$ by doing a lot of work themselves, and I really admire that. I happen to be one of those that never got into working on my cars much (except cleaning and detailing) so I don't feel confident that I can tell a bad independent mechanic from a good one. I've had mixed experiences in the past and I don't want to take the risk on the spark plugs.

Thanks to all who chimed in. It really helped me make my decision.
The following users liked this post:
Daniel1938 (04-08-21)
Old 12-16-14, 05:10 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a good price from a Lexus dealership. However, like many have suggested, you would save some more money by buying Lexus parts from Sewell and bring it to the independent shop.

The filters replacement is no-brainer easy job that requires essentially 0 hour labor. You can swap out both engine filter and AC filter in less than 5 mins. I'm no mechanic either and I did it lol.

If you are in Southern CA, Tommy@MusicBox can do all the above services efficiently with much cheaper cost.
Old 12-16-14, 05:32 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you haven't had the cam gear recall done, they will do the spark plug labour for free. I got a set of OEM plugs for less than $100, and they installed them during the recall.
Old 12-16-14, 06:02 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by babaliont
I asked them this and the response I got was "There is an overflow procedure that can be done to inspect the fluid". I don't know what that entails.
Any Lexus techs on here have ANY idea what procedure this is or what it entails?
Old 12-16-14, 06:06 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Originally Posted by getafewliv
If you haven't had the cam gear recall done, they will do the spark plug labour for free. I got a set of OEM plugs for less than $100, and they installed them during the recall.
I purchased this 2012 CPO vehicle this Feb and according to the Lexus website there are no open recalls on service campaigns for this vehicle. Are you sure the cam gear recall applies to 2012 models?

Quick Reply: 60K mile service cost reasonable?