Thoughts on purchasing IS250

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 08:05 PM
PVN23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on purchasing IS250

Hey everyone,

Been lurking for quite some time now and haven't really been in the market to look for an IS250 until recently when my car's transmission crapped out on me. Had it overhauled, but I'm thinking about selling it and picking up a used low mileage 2008+ IS250 AWD.

Trying to get some input here because I am planning to buy it used from the stealership and finance it through credit union.

I don't necessarily have the money, but I've been torn between thinking about getting a Subaru Impreza WRX or the IS 250 and I think I'm leaning towards the IS 250 just because of comfort and I don't think I'll be really modding the car.

Reason I'm looking for AWD is because I do go up to Tahoe at least 5+ times during the season and since IS250 is RWD... I figured it might be a PITA to put chains on the rear wheels...

Well what do you guys think though? Credit union + finance so I can get lower APR and lower monthly payments?

Have any of you guys gone through credit union to purchase any of your cars? It'll be my first time, but I've done some research and found I should find out my credit score before I go to a few credit unions and my bank to compare rates and find the best one possible. Hopefully they'll let me loan at least $23k...

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

And another thought! Is it possible to do this without the need of a cosign?

Last edited by PVN23; 12-15-14 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 10:29 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PVN23
Hey everyone,

Been lurking for quite some time now and haven't really been in the market to look for an IS250 until recently when my car's transmission crapped out on me. Had it overhauled, but I'm thinking about selling it and picking up a used low mileage 2008+ IS250 AWD.

Trying to get some input here because I am planning to buy it used from the stealership and finance it through credit union.

I don't necessarily have the money, but I've been torn between thinking about getting a Subaru Impreza WRX or the IS 250 and I think I'm leaning towards the IS 250 just because of comfort and I don't think I'll be really modding the car.

Reason I'm looking for AWD is because I do go up to Tahoe at least 5+ times during the season and since IS250 is RWD... I figured it might be a PITA to put chains on the rear wheels...

Well what do you guys think though? Credit union + finance so I can get lower APR and lower monthly payments?

Have any of you guys gone through credit union to purchase any of your cars? It'll be my first time, but I've done some research and found I should find out my credit score before I go to a few credit unions and my bank to compare rates and find the best one possible. Hopefully they'll let me loan at least $23k...

You sound young with little income. You will probably need someone to cosign. $23k is not much though. Putting chains on the rear is not any more difficult than the front in my opinion, but 4 wheel drive does help. It get annoying when you have to have people help the car move in deep snow.
Old 12-16-14, 08:54 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I will have my 07 RWD Is250 for sale in a couple of months. $14k with 68k miles on it. In NorCal.
Old 12-17-14, 11:37 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you can ask your credit union to get you a preapprived car loan and they will tell you how much you can get....
Old 12-17-14, 08:36 PM
jasonr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PVN23
Hey everyone,

What does your credit looks like? Try to get in touch with credit union or banks on your own. Don't go to through dealer or sales person. If they give you higher APR then you can always refinance after a year and get better APR.
Old 12-19-14, 03:29 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

get is350.....
Old 12-27-14, 12:09 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by is250916
I will have my 07 RWD Is250 for sale in a couple of months. $14k with 68k miles on it. In NorCal.
Im in NorCal and on the market right now if you want to sell it now!
Old 12-27-14, 12:46 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Default before you buy an IS

carfax and check to see if it had the carbon fouling warrenty job done on it. CARFAX and get it into a dealership for a prebuyers inspection. ive seen them carbon foul at 60k. lexus knows of the issue and has increased the warranty date and millage coverage to 10 years / unlimited miles.
Old 12-27-14, 02:16 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by kornpeef
carfax and check to see if it had the carbon fouling warrenty job done on it. CARFAX and get it into a dealership for a prebuyers inspection. ive seen them carbon foul at 60k. lexus knows of the issue and has increased the warranty date and millage coverage to 10 years / unlimited miles.
So if I buy a used 07-08 IS250 the carbon buildup issue can be fixed for free at a Lexus dealership?
Old 12-27-14, 03:29 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Default carbon build up

yes but you will be out of car for about 4-5 days depending on how many are in the shop.
Old 12-27-14, 03:33 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Default carbon build up

its called a "ZLA campaign"
Old 12-27-14, 05:06 PM
lucidspoon
Driver School Candidate

Of course you can get a loan without a cosines if you have halfway decent credit and income. On my 350, I had them see what my credit union could do, and it came back at 3.5%, which is just ok. They got me 2.5% through some no name bank, so I went with that.

My first couple car loans out of college were around 7.5%! Never again!