Rust Check on Older Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 05:36 PM
mosh12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Check on Older Lexus?

Hey All,

Just had a quick question about rust-proof or rust check for an 07 IS350. This car was purchased second hand this year and I was just wondering:
There's literally no rust visible anywhere across the car, and as such does this mean a rust proof/rust check was already done by the previous owner. Would it still make sense to get a rust-check or rust-proof? Thanks for all your help everyone, and any response is appreciated
Old 12-09-14, 06:00 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mosh12
Hey All,

07 IS350.
There's literally no rust visible anywhere across the car,
Are you sure that a car which has gone through 7 Ontario winters has zero rust, did you look under neath?
Old 12-09-14, 08:40 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Originally Posted by jst17
Are you sure that a car which has gone through 7 Ontario winters has zero rust, did you look under neath?
100% Agreed under carriage suspension brakes etc will be rusted up a bit -- to a good amount unless the car was parked every winter.
Old 12-10-14, 06:58 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

it's not unheard of to have no rust on a 7 year old car if it's been taken care of. Also depends on if your garage is heated or not.

On my last car, a 93 integra, there was literally no rust until I moved into a condo and started parking underground. The combination of wet winter salts and warmer temps of being underground really sped up the rusting process. The dealer said my engine could easily have gone another 100K km but the body was so bad in spots that it literally couldn't support the top corner of the windshield anymore (I was driving around with a crack the last month I had it). Traded her in after 17 years for $500 and got my 07 350.

No rust yet but I'm in a house now and the garage is not heated nor is it attached to the house itself.
Old 12-10-14, 08:05 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by embolism
it's not unheard of to have no rust on a 7 year old car if it's been taken care of. Also depends on if your garage is heated or not.

No rust yet but I'm in a house now and the garage is not heated nor is it attached to the house itself.
Any views on rust proofing? such as the oil method. To m, parking underground is still better than leaving it outside. The elements takes a big toll on the car every winter. My last acura was parked outside for an entire winter and it develop leaks underneath. Canadian weather is definitely considered to be extreme.
Old 12-11-14, 08:05 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Any views on rust proofing? such as the oil method. To m, parking underground is still better than leaving it outside. The elements takes a big toll on the car every winter. My last acura was parked outside for an entire winter and it develop leaks underneath. Canadian weather is definitely considered to be extreme.
Yes Canadian winters just destroy cars and I still don't believe a 7 year old car won't have signs of undercarriage rust nearly impossible if exposed to snowy and salty roads. I'm super **** and have not been able to avoid some form of undercarriage rust living in Calgary. Only car that I was able to avoid rust out of the 32 cars I've owned was a S2000 that never seen rain snow or winter.
Old 12-12-14, 11:31 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

I've never done it and I drive my cars into the ground but then again, I typically only drive about 12K a year. Couldn't hurt I guess but I don't like that they drill holes into your doors and such.

One thing I did on the acura that probably saved the body to a degree was to remove those rubber inserts that went around the bent metal edge around each wheel well. They did nothing but trap moisture, salt etc. against the metal which is why you saw the body around the wheels disintegrating on all those older integras.