IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Refinish or Replace my wheels? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 05:49 PM
modlife
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Refinish or Replace my wheels? What would you do?

My wheels are getting a little 'stale' for me, but having just started a company I'm being pretty cheap, so...

they are 19" 3-piece forged DUB wheels (and RIDICULOUSLY light), which is awesome - I couldn't deal with anything heavier, so that's the reason I'm debating on keeping them.

The thing is that having someone refinish them will cost MORE than just getting new wheels. I'm confident I could do it myself, however, but at the expense of having them off of the car for a couple months.

So here I am - Do I keep the crazy lightweight wheels and buy a second set of cheap used wheels (like $400 cheap) to get by until I'm done refinishing, or do I buy a single set of new/used wheels?Avant Garde m310 used would be ideal...

If I keep the wheels, I will be probably be replacing the outer barrels - they are currently carbon fiber hydrodipped over a CF inlayed in aluminum - My choices really are to change only the finish on the lip to polished, re-dip them, or powdercoat the entire outer barrel... what do you think would look good?

Thanks!

Here are some pics from this year:

Obsidian Black IS350 For Sale

IS350 Wald Replica Front Lip
Old 12-06-14, 10:20 AM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by modlife
My wheels are getting a little 'stale' for me, but having just started a company I'm being pretty cheap, so...

they are 19" 3-piece forged DUB wheels (and RIDICULOUSLY light), which is awesome - I couldn't deal with anything heavier, so that's the reason I'm debating on keeping them.

The thing is that having someone refinish them will cost MORE than just getting new wheels. I'm confident I could do it myself, however, but at the expense of having them off of the car for a couple months.

So here I am - Do I keep the crazy lightweight wheels and buy a second set of cheap used wheels (like $400 cheap) to get by until I'm done refinishing, or do I buy a single set of new/used wheels?Avant Garde m310 used would be ideal...

If I keep the wheels, I will be probably be replacing the outer barrels - they are currently carbon fiber hydrodipped over a CF inlayed in aluminum - My choices really are to change only the finish on the lip to polished, re-dip them, or powdercoat the entire outer barrel... what do you think would look good?

Thanks!

Here are some pics from this year:

Obsidian Black IS350 For Sale

IS350 Wald Replica Front Lip

This is a good question... seems for tire replacement you could also get a decent set of rims for minimal additional expense... is this every one elses sentiment?

Thanks