IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 3GR-FSE Swap - Possible???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 11:57 AM
UtopiaBe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lexus IS250 3GR-FSE Swap - Possible???

Hello everyone,
I have found that GS300 with 3GR-FSE (249hp) was with out the VDIM system!
and the same gear like in IS250!!!
so there is an option just to put 3GR-FSE engine in with his injectors ECU, and everything should work, no?
Old 11-29-14, 12:54 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im pretty sure it would be a lot more complicated than just dropping everything in if you wanted to retain most of the features of your IS. Ill let a more knowledgeable person go into the technical issues.
Old 12-02-14, 04:29 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2GR/3GR/4GR from the late model Lexus share very similar systems (although not identical) so theoretically, bolting up should be very easy and share similar wiring. The more complicated part comes with having an ECU that can run the 3GR engine to also correspond with the current IS's technology. It would be a lot of things not working to get the engine to work properly.

I wish someone would do the swap though because its more power on a lower compression engine and japan has TONS of bolt on superchargers for the 3GR from the Mark X that comes supercharged from factory
Old 03-03-16, 01:43 AM
is350uk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UtopiaBe
Hello everyone,
so there is an option just to put 3GR-FSE engine in with his injectors ECU, and everything should work, no?
I think the 3gr-fse engine will work using the electronics from the 4gr fse, I have done some research and found that the injectors, mass airflow, AFR sensors throttle body, fuel pump, cams and all the sensors are all the same so it should work just like factory, I confident that it will I went out and bought a 3gr-fse for myself to swap it in the is 250. Nothing try nothing done, I will put it in near the summer cause I am working 7 days a week for now
Old 03-03-16, 12:02 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I wish you luck! I considered this option too, and you are correct, engines are basically identical, just 2.5L vs. 3.0L. More similar than the 2GR.

Jeff
Old 03-03-16, 12:59 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by is350uk
I think the 3gr-fse engine will work using the electronics from the 4gr fse, I have done some research and found that the injectors, mass airflow, AFR sensors throttle body, fuel pump, cams and all the sensors are all the same so it should work just like factory, I confident that it will I went out and bought a 3gr-fse for myself to swap it in the is 250. Nothing try nothing done, I will put it in near the summer cause I am working 7 days a week for now

Do you have an auto or manual trunny?Do you think it can be done with manual or the ECU needs to be send to Shard to program it like Jeff did?
Old 03-03-16, 01:13 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Originally Posted by UtopiaBe
Hello everyone,
Didn't you have a Rotrex supercharger on your IS?You got tired of it and want more right?
Old 03-03-16, 05:25 PM
is350uk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PAVGR
Do you have an auto or manual trunny?Do you think it can be done with manual or the ECU needs to be send to Shard to program it like Jeff did?
No ecu tunning necessary to run the 3gr-fse, the 4gr fse ecu have enough room to run the engine and mine is a manual shift car, I will post everything I have done when I do it, the extra 50hp is worth the £950 I spent for the engine, cost per hp is good
Old 08-24-16, 05:36 AM
Loot
Driver School Candidate

I have an '06 is250 Manual without VDIM I am thinking of using a short block (2grfse) and use my current 4grfse cylinder heads. that way I avoid the D4-S headache and use the same injectors from the old motor instead of swopping the complete motor over and sitting with the VDIM electronics and Christmas tree cluster problem
Old 08-24-16, 07:00 AM
is350uk
Driver School Candidate

Default 2gr swap

There are 2 differences to the 2gr block vs the 4gr, there's 2 passages between the cylinder bores that are not present in the 4gr head, not sure if it's oil passage or coolant
Old 08-24-16, 07:30 AM
Loot
Driver School Candidate

I can not find a way to compare the 4 heads with each other yet. In theory it should work as the compression ratios differ by 0.2 and the displacement is in the block as per the spec below the 2gr is just bigger in displacement. I have not yet had either of the heads as I have not sourced a short block or stripped mine yet still looking at if it will be feasible. although I think you wont have the full 233KW but it will be quite close. I am sure I can have the oil /coolant journals engineered in once I have the heads gas flowed. my only real concern is if the heads will bolt onto the block. the other concern is the pistons if they are flat or curved on top where the valves are I have checked the sump, timing cover, timing chains and tapped covers and camshaft housings is the same. reason why I want to do it I don't want to fiddle to much with the electronics so by keeping my heads I don't have to change ECU,s(might need to have it re-mapped) injector driver ect.. the 2gr uses the D4-S port injection the same way the 4gr uses swirl in the intake manifold so the ecu should auto ajust fuel volumes with the data it gets from the O2 sensors. it should work smoothly but it is a big step into the unknown

I already have an flywheel made since I have to do my clutch from the std but I don't want a dual mass flywheel so I opted for the solid mass flywheel with our 2005 3.0 v6 camry clutch plate and the std is250 pressure plate and bearing.
I know the gearbox ratios is close to the is350 atm(A760E) and the diff ratio on the is350 is 4.083 compared to mine 3.583(loss in top speed ) that can be sorted in aftermarket diff so the drivetrain can handle the engines output.

4grfse (cold start D4 injectors)
bore x stroke : 83.0x 77.0 mm
2grfse (cold start on port injection of D4-S)
bore x stroke : 94.0x 83.0 mm

Old 08-24-16, 08:02 AM
is350uk
Driver School Candidate

Default 2gr swap

I have the 4gr fse head gasket and 2gr fse, I have compared them and that the difference, except from the bigger bore of course, I live in the UK and don't have the 3.5 liter engine here so what I'm doing is the 3grfse swap which would give me 40 to 50 hp , headers exhaust and intake system will yeld another 35 hp which will result in 280 to 290 hp , the 2 engines are identical in every way except the. 5 litre capacity, same injectors throttle body oxygen sensor etc, should do the swap in a week or so
Old 08-24-16, 12:37 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Hey buddy, I was wondering where have you been.I m waiting for the results.I m boosted now but it would be nice to know what other options are out there for our car!Best of luck to you buddy!Dont forget to keep us posted
Old 08-24-16, 01:59 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

saw this on wiki...

Last edited by 604GSE21; 08-25-16 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 02:26 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Loot
I already have an flywheel made since I have to do my clutch from the std but I don't want a dual mass flywheel so I opted for the solid mass flywheel with our 2005 3.0 v6 camry clutch plate and the std is250 pressure plate and bearing.
What material did you have the flywheel made out of? I have been considering doing something similar to remove the dual mass flywheel.

Originally Posted by Loot
I know the gearbox ratios is close to the is350 atm(A760E) and the diff ratio on the is350 is 4.083 compared to mine 3.583(loss in top speed ) that can be sorted in aftermarket diff so the drivetrain can handle the engines output.
The ratios of the RA62 are closest to the stock IS350 ratios when used with a 3.73 differential. 4.10 (or similar) will be a nice boost to the acceleration, but will likely cost you some fuel mileage.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 3GR-FSE Swap - Possible???