Lexus IS250 3GR-FSE Swap - Possible???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 01:22 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nixcision
in for a video!

That is definitely a concern - leaning out .... if only there was a way to improve fuel delivery on the 4gr or 3gr
I wish there was a way!Other than that the car is running great !
Old 11-18-16, 04:20 PM
jrule2
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

This is an interesting development.
My basic thinking was 3gr: 250hp + supercharger
vs. 4gr: 200hp + supercharger

So you'd think that the 3gr would put out higher numbers at the end of the day, even if boost is slightly lower...
2gr uses ported AND direct injection so its a bit of a different delivery system?

Jrule2, are you anywhere around 7psi currently?

IF I did this swap, I would likely supercharge with the motor already out of the car
I'm running a wastegated setup where the blower is producing about 10-11psi but is limited to 7-8psi with the wastegate (but it makes this at a lower rpm).

I think for the money spent sourcing and then swapping a 3GR you could overcome the fueling issues on the 4GR and run more boost. I'm in the process of adding direct Port meth/water injection to supplement a bit of fuel and cool the intake charge and if im still coming up short on fuel I'll persue an auxiliary injector and piggyback ECU project I had.
Old 11-19-16, 11:19 AM
Htoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys,

I have been silently following this thread for quite a while now. I would like to thank OP and everyone else for coming up with this idea of swapping 3GR and actually did it to verify the idea. It's really difficult to buy an IS350 in my country and people like me usually being embarrassed when asked for ways to more power in forums like this, people simply suggest to replace with IS350 which is not possible for me. My country is a junkyard for cars, we purchase a lot of old cars from Japan and import them. I just got a 3GR-FSE engine for 600$ from a car called MarkX/Reiz (you probably haven't heard about it) and planned to replace my 4GR in coming days. And I got interested into supercharging it after the swap too. Have you guys known about AMR500 or SC14? Do you think those kind of old superchargers works in our engines?
Old 11-19-16, 12:12 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Where exactly is your country ?You bought the engine very cheap my friend.How many miles does it have?I m not familiar with these superchargers I have a procharger in my 4GRFSE.
Old 11-19-16, 01:22 PM
Htoo
Driver School Candidate

I'm from Myanmar, country between Thailand and India, below China. I can't know how many miles the engine have, they usually don't keep track of that information to scrap engines. But visual inspection was done and it looked good. AMR500 is usually used in many japanese Kei cars (very small cars) and SC14 is used in old Toyotas such as MR2. We can get them quite cheap here too, probably around 200-300$. But not sure they can give enough boost to big engines like ours. By the way, how do you make mounts for ProCharger? is it C1?
Old 11-19-16, 01:30 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Just to be clear, using a 3GR-FSE in the IS250 can be a good option and easy to do, and apparently the 4GR-FSE ECU can run it just fine, which is also good, however it will probably be pushing the 4GR's maps to the limit, similar to putting a supercharger on it. I would not recommend using the 4GR ECU with a 3GR and a supercharger or similar without retuning. Even just doing the 3GR-FSE swap by itself could likely benefit from retuning the factory ECU.

This is something that RR Racing, etc., could probably do. Especially if you were doing a 3GR-FSE manual or AWD swap, you could grab the ECU from a GS300 and have the engine control map values copied from the 3GR ECU to the 4GR 6MT or 4GR AWD ECU. It's a decent idea for sure. It's what I would do if I was building a 6MT IS300.

PS: The 2IS "IS300" trunk emblem part number is 75443-53090.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 11-19-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-19-16, 02:23 PM
Htoo
Driver School Candidate

I thought it would be too much for 250 ECU to handle both 3GR and supercharging too. And then I came across this guy's facebook post.

Facebook Post

Looking at the comments and trying to use google translate, it seems that he did not do any tune to ecu and it's going well (at least in the video). That's where I got some hope. I will try to ask him. Maybe it will blow up my engine or the gear box, since mine is not manual. Thanks for the warning Jeff, better be careful with that route.

"75443-53090"??? AWESOME! BIG Thanks!
Old 11-20-16, 12:14 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My only concern at the moment:
I have a 2009 is250 awd (canadian?)... and that would mean that I have VDIM?

won't that complicate this?
if im set on a swap, are there other options to pursue that are "easier" if the vdim presents a problem?

i'd like to keep my oem 250 awd tranny.

Last edited by Nixcision; 11-20-16 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 12:05 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Originally Posted by Htoo
I'm from Myanmar, country between Thailand and India, below China. I can't know how many miles the engine have, they usually don't keep track of that information to scrap engines. But visual inspection was done and it looked good. AMR500 is usually used in many japanese Kei cars (very small cars) and SC14 is used in old Toyotas such as MR2. We can get them quite cheap here too, probably around 200-300$. But not sure they can give enough boost to big engines like ours. By the way, how do you make mounts for ProCharger? is it C1?
Its the c2.The kit was ready for installation.Its quite easy to install it.I made a thought to sell the kit because even though the car is running great with it its lean and I have to be very carefull especially in summer season which is very hot in Greece but I m not sure I want to drive it without it.Thats why I believe the 3GR perhaps it's a safer option for as that don't have the luxury of the 2GR.I m not sure which is faster though,my supercharged or the 3GR
Old 11-20-16, 01:09 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

My only concern at the moment:
I have a 2009 is250 awd (canadian?)... and that would mean that I have VDIM?

won't that complicate this?
if im set on a swap, are there other options to pursue that are "easier" if the vdim presents a problem?

i'd like to keep my oem 250 awd tranny.
In the case of using a 3GR-FSE, people use their original ECU, so it is only a mechanical change. VDIM or not wouldn't make a difference.

Jeff
Old 11-20-16, 06:57 PM
Htoo
Driver School Candidate

I just had a chat with the taiwanese guy who supercharged his 3GR swap. He is using 2GR injectors in his 3GR to help with being too lean situations. He also mentioned using a piggyback AEM FIC8 too.
Old 11-21-16, 11:06 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Htoo
I just had a chat with the taiwanese guy who supercharged his 3GR swap. He is using 2GR injectors in his 3GR to help with being too lean situations. He also mentioned using a piggyback AEM FIC8 too.
I had no idea that these were cross-compatible?
Old 11-21-16, 11:41 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

They are, the issue is that I have no idea what the 3GR/4GR injectors flow. The 2GR D4 injector flow rate is known, but how much more is it? Without knowing that, I would definitely recommend a tune to use them in a 3GR/4GR setup.

Jeff
Old 11-21-16, 12:25 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
They are, the issue is that I have no idea what the 3GR/4GR injectors flow. The 2GR D4 injector flow rate is known, but how much more is it? Without knowing that, I would definitely recommend a tune to use them in a 3GR/4GR setup.

Jeff
I asked RR Rasing if they can help me tune my supercharged 250 and they said they will not develop any sc kit for the 250 only for the 350.Do you think the 2gr injectors will help?I asked some other company named (split second)if they can help me reachen my AFR but when I told them that the sc kit doesn't give more fuel they didn't reply back.
Old 11-21-16, 12:58 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PAVGR
I asked RR Rasing if they can help me tune my supercharged 250 and they said they will not develop any sc kit for the 250 only for the 350.Do you think the 2gr injectors will help?I asked some other company named (split second)if they can help me reachen my AFR but when I told them that the sc kit doesn't give more fuel they didn't reply back.
Yeah I reached out to RR about remapping my ecu to accommodate a 3gr swap (and ultimately a supercharger) but have yet to hear anything back.... maybe they're not interested..........

The last time I mentioned the HKS kit to Rafi, he didn't seem too happy about it, so its possible they don't have any interest in ecu tuning for another company's product.

They did some really impressive work with their supercharged ISF, so I'm eager to work with them on something if they're interested -- at the very least a 3gr swap ecu remap as Jeff mentioned earlier

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 3GR-FSE Swap - Possible???