Head light goes out 15 min after its turned on

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 09:21 AM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light goes out 15 min after its turned on

Hi guys,

Looked all over the forums for this, couldnt find anything..

So i replaced my driver side headlight when it went out afew months ago. Ever since iv changed it out my headlight will turn on and be just fine for 15 to 20 min but then it just pops off. I turn the headlights off and on again, it will turn back on for 15 to 20. Now i know this never did this before the headlight burned out... Also to note when I got a new HID bulb for the driver side, i also got and replaced the passenger side too... I got the bulbs off ebay for a super good price and they are supposed to be the same as the ones that you get in a lexus dealer.

So my question is whats causing this?

Could it possibly be the bulb? Iv taken off the power plug to the bulb and made sure everything was nice and tight that it didnt just didnt get shaken loose or something of that sort.

What do you guys suggest I do, or look at next. driving me crazy.

BTW 2006 IS 250 AWD and it has the HID's that move.
Old 11-06-14, 09:35 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ballast. I'm having same problem now to lol. Gotta get me bulbs.
Old 11-06-14, 10:03 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before buying anything new, swap the bulbs between left and right. If the problem follows, it's the bulb. If the problem stays on the same side, ballast.

It could honestly be either the bulb or ballast. I have heard of bad bulbs doing this and there's always the chance you got a faulty bulb.
Old 11-06-14, 11:03 AM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Im prolly just going to buy a bulb for it, to much work to get the other one out lol.. Then I can have a replacement incase one goes out anyways... How much is a ballast and is there a guide to show how to replace it like there is for replacing the bulb. Thanks guys as always for fast response.
Old 11-06-14, 11:12 AM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Found this, might just have my dealership do this if its the case lol..
Old 11-06-14, 11:18 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Taint3d
Found this, might just have my dealership do this if its the case lol.. Video Link: http://youtu.be/88_gCBHdJoo
Wow I saw that before that's crazy have to remove whole bumper to get that out!
Old 11-06-14, 11:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

to replace ballast you dont have to remove the headlight lens, you can take apart the silver connector and fish the wires out
Old 11-17-14, 11:08 AM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Still waiting for my dang bulbs to show up from China lol, This whole thing of the light going out within 10 min is getting so annoying.. It will go out right when im on the interstate or a block away fromhome.. Anyone know how to tell if its the ballast going out... I hope its just the light itself is going bad, but i just have this feeling its the ballast..
Old 11-17-14, 12:00 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Still waiting for my dang bulbs to show up from China lol, This whole thing of the light going out within 10 min is getting so annoying.. It will go out right when im on the interstate or a block away fromhome.. Anyone know how to tell if its the ballast going out... I hope its just the light itself is going bad, but i just have this feeling its the ballast..
You really should have just not been lazy and swapped the bulbs. Found the real issue, then gone from there.

If it's the bulb, you should have gotten 2 new bulbs, either OEM, Xenondepot or Garax bulbs and replaced both.

If it was the ballast, then just replace the one ballast.
Old 11-17-14, 02:23 PM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by getafewliv
You really should have just not been lazy and swapped the bulbs. Found the real issue, then gone from there.

If it's the bulb, you should have gotten 2 new bulbs, either OEM, Xenondepot or Garax bulbs and replaced both.

If it was the ballast, then just replace the one ballast.

I replaced both bulbs about 5 months ago, give or take..

I replaced them with THESE BULBS FROM EBAY. A good friend and a honda top tech says thats all he has ever used in every ones cars he puts aftermarket hid's in.. So it could be just a bad bulb like he said.. It happens i guess... I know I shouldnt be lazy and just take the other bulb out... My luck i would drop that bulb and then be without any lights at night. So thats why im just waiting and not doing any night driving.. I did however have an old bulb from when I replaced the 2 originals.. I cannot find the dang thing anywhere tho. Will comment on this thread when I do finally get a new bulb in... Thanks again for all the comments guys.
Old 11-17-14, 04:17 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

I replaced both bulbs about 5 months ago, give or take..

I replaced them with THESE BULBS FROM EBAY. A good friend and a honda top tech says thats all he has ever used in every ones cars he puts aftermarket hid's in.. So it could be just a bad bulb like he said.. It happens i guess... I know I shouldnt be lazy and just take the other bulb out... My luck i would drop that bulb and then be without any lights at night. So thats why im just waiting and not doing any night driving.. I did however have an old bulb from when I replaced the 2 originals.. I cannot find the dang thing anywhere tho. Will comment on this thread when I do finally get a new bulb in... Thanks again for all the comments guys.
Yeah... I am going to be willing to put money on it being a bad bulb. Those are some really really cheap bulbs.

Honestly, for fog lights, sure use something like that ( I did), but for your headlights, you should really get at least the Xenon Depot or Garax bulbs.
Old 11-18-14, 04:11 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah there is about 1000 threads on this one...

your best bet would be change your bulbs first. that's the easiest/cheapest option. I had the exact same issue, bought new bulbs, never had it happen again. some folks have done ballast swaps and that not been the case.
Old 11-19-14, 09:04 AM
TEAMSHARK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
yeah there is about 1000 threads on this one...

your best bet would be change your bulbs first. that's the easiest/cheapest option. I had the exact same issue, bought new bulbs, never had it happen again. some folks have done ballast swaps and that not been the case.
Hopefully it is the bulb, but I am going to guess it is the ballast. Maybe you shoud set up a poll and have everyone guess .
Old 11-19-14, 10:23 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you don't want that to happen again, you might need to seriously consider buying BETTER quality bulbs.....
Old 12-23-14, 08:49 AM
Taint3d
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys been awhile, car has been in the shop.. Finally got a new ballast in. But the light still goes out.

What the heck could it be? Could it possibly be one of the bubls i got off ebay . I have bought 4 and they all work, but go out after 5~10 min. They dont know what else it could be? Im not wanting to order a new set of headlights if its not the headlight itself..

Quick Reply: Head light goes out 15 min after its turned on