IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to permanently turn off rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 08:35 AM
Lostabroad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to permanently turn off rear view mirror?

Not sure about the rest of you, but I can't stand that anti-glare feature or whatever it is for the rear view mirrors that some cars offer. My 2009 Lexus is250 has it "on" by default, and it is just annoying to have to turn it off every time I drive at night. Is there any way to permanently disable it or pull a fuse for it?

Sorry if this is an easy fix or has been posted before. I tried a search, but couldn't find anything. Hoping it will be as easy as turning off the seatbelt chime, which I found the details on this forum!
Old 11-05-14, 09:25 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't you just need to press the "auto" button at the bottom middle of the mirror?
Old 11-05-14, 09:34 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah but you have to press it each and every time you turn the car on
Old 11-05-14, 09:52 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
Yeah but you have to press it each and every time you turn the car on
Cut the wires lol
Old 11-05-14, 10:42 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Buy a cheap mirror and put it on top with rubber band
Old 11-05-14, 11:11 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull off the covers from the rear view mirror neck to the headliner. Disconnect the harness.
Not sure if it will throw a dash light but I doubt it.
Old 11-05-14, 02:21 PM
CMACE23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lostabroad
Not sure about the rest of you, but I can't stand that anti-glare feature or whatever it is for the rear view mirrors that some cars offer. My 2009 Lexus is250 has it "on" by default, and it is just annoying to have to turn it off every time I drive at night. Is there any way to permanently disable it or pull a fuse for it?

Sorry if this is an easy fix or has been posted before. I tried a search, but couldn't find anything. Hoping it will be as easy as turning off the seatbelt chime, which I found the details on this forum!
I'm sorry I don't have a "fix" for you but I myself don't like that feature either.
Old 11-10-14, 06:18 AM
Lostabroad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xanderES
Pull off the covers from the rear view mirror neck to the headliner. Disconnect the harness.
Not sure if it will throw a dash light but I doubt it.
Thanks for all the replies guys. This might be the simplest resolution. I was just nervous that something strange might happen on the electrical end if I were to mess around with the wiring, but I find that dimming thing so annoying that I'm wiling to screw up other functions just to turn it off.
Old 11-10-14, 04:10 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turn it off every time I get in the car but who knows when some car will come behind and blind you.

I still like the old manual way of dimming it.
Old 11-10-14, 08:14 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with you, the classic flip style rear view mirrors are better. I covered the rear-facing sensor near the garage door opener buttons with one of the large dots from a
LightDims Black Out pack LightDims Black Out pack
(cheaper at Fry's Electronics if you have one nearby). It isn't very noticeable (but it is more glossy than the surrounding plastic), and it is large enough that there is a little bit that doesn't sit flush with the mirror so I can quickly pull it off if needed. I haven't pulled it off yet and it has been on there for about a month with many hours of night driving.

You can figure out where to cover by covering it up with your finger first and watching to make sure the tint goes away. Electrical tape or some other opaque material would also work, but I wanted the option to remove and reattach it easily while driving without it being very noticeable while in place.

Last edited by andper10; 11-10-14 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mbs (04-09-19)
Old 11-10-14, 10:15 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lostabroad
Thanks for all the replies guys. This might be the simplest resolution. I was just nervous that something strange might happen on the electrical end if I were to mess around with the wiring, but I find that dimming thing so annoying that I'm wiling to screw up other functions just to turn it off.
Given that the rear view mirror only has a light, a compass, garage opener, and the auto dim function the probability of it messing anything important up is almost 0. If there is, post it in this thread for future reference!
Old 11-11-14, 05:55 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andper10
I'm with you, the classic flip style rear view mirrors are better. I covered the rear-facing sensor near the garage door opener buttons with one of the large dots from a LightDims Black Out pack (cheaper at Fry's Electronics if you have one nearby). It isn't very noticeable (but it is more glossy than the surrounding plastic), and it is large enough that there is a little bit that doesn't sit flush with the mirror so I can quickly pull it off if needed. I haven't pulled it off yet and it has been on there for about a month with many hours of night driving.

You can figure out where to cover by covering it up with your finger first and watching to make sure the tint goes away. Electrical tape or some other opaque material would also work, but I wanted the option to remove and reattach it easily while driving without it being very noticeable while in place.
Nice idea thanks!

Lol at LightDims Black out. Nice money maker.
Old 11-11-14, 07:36 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by xanderES
Given that the rear view mirror only has a light, a compass, garage opener, and the auto dim function the probability of it messing anything important up is almost 0. If there is, post it in this thread for future reference!
lol, yes, please let us know if the car blows up.
Old 11-11-14, 08:02 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
lol, yes, please let us know if the car blows up.
Hey, might as well have something good come out of it right? Always was a glass half full kinda guy