IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS and TechStream

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 04:01 PM
TophersToy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS and TechStream

I'm trying to program my TPMS in techstream. I was able to connect to the car, but when i click on the Tire Pressure Monitor ECU, I get the following message:
Selected system is not responding or not available

Has anyone come across this error, or has anyone successfully programmed their sensors using techstream?

Old 10-16-14, 05:26 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to wait till the boxes are white. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after plugging it in for the techstream to start up. Did you start up your car?

fwiw i was able to program tpms with techstream
Old 10-16-14, 07:09 PM
TophersToy
Rookie

Originally Posted by pmanliu
You need to wait till the boxes are white. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after plugging it in for the techstream to start up. Did you start up your car?

fwiw i was able to program tpms with techstream
Thanks for the response. I waited for like 5 minutes and none of the boxes turned white. When I started clicking on some of the other boxes (ECUs) they connected and then the boxes turned white, but most of them would NOT connect. The car is started.

Do you think it could be the software or cable? Does it make sense that some ECUs work and other don't?

What version of software do you have and do you have the mini-VCI cable (or something else)
Old 10-17-14, 07:11 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're doing better than me. Mine can't seem to connect to the car. Did you run that dlc3 test? What were the results? You ran the info on the firmware update tool? got the version number and such? They looked ok? serial # ...0001 and firmware 1.4.1 or something?

In the dlc3 test, mine sees whatever the first one is (can't rerun to find out ATM and I don't remember what it said) and ground (2nd one), but CAN-H and CAN-L are a fail, and everything after that. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm hoping for any advice and hopefully it well help the OP also. I think I have a defective cable. emailed back the seller and they told me the cable was for Toyota, not Lexus and they would refund my $25 if I only spend $20 to mail it back! LOL
Old 10-17-14, 10:48 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Weird. Other than techstream running really slow I have had no issues. I am even running in on a 64 bit Windows 7 OS.

I have been able to change settings, change TPMS and calibrate an ISF ecu.
Old 10-18-14, 07:20 AM
TophersToy
Rookie

Originally Posted by scott1256c
you're doing better than me. Mine can't seem to connect to the car. Did you run that dlc3 test? What were the results? You ran the info on the firmware update tool? got the version number and such? They looked ok? serial # ...0001 and firmware 1.4.1 or something?

In the dlc3 test, mine sees whatever the first one is (can't rerun to find out ATM and I don't remember what it said) and ground (2nd one), but CAN-H and CAN-L are a fail, and everything after that. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm hoping for any advice and hopefully it well help the OP also. I think I have a defective cable. emailed back the seller and they told me the cable was for Toyota, not Lexus and they would refund my $25 if I only spend $20 to mail it back! LOL
I just ran the DL3 test and it failed for the same two pins (CAN-H and CAN-L).. if you're right about the defective cable, does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy (i just got mine off fleabay)
Old 10-18-14, 12:02 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

I hope someone else can run that test. I'd like to know if most succeed at it or most fail, and what other problems they run into. As I said, mine can't seem to even connect to the car.
Old 10-18-14, 12:21 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

click on customized setting
Old 10-18-14, 06:12 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

ok, I have my cable working. I have NO idea why now and not before. The only thing I did was to go into com port 4 and change the baud rate to 19200, that popped up a menu to select manu. model etc. but wouldn't talk to the car (but that was farther than I got the last time), so I set the baud rate back to 9600 and tried again and seem to be able to communicate.
So, I'll suggest trying the following, since you have always been able to connect to your car.
Go and select the left or right mirror ecu and see if they will communicate. If they do, run test (I think, I didn't write it down). That popped up a window to move the mirror up and down. Try that and see if the mirror moves. I had to press the button a couple of times to get my mirror to move. I suggest this because it is benign. If you turn off drl or something and then it fails to communicate after you've turned them off, you lose drl, but you can always readjust your mirror without techstream.
That will at least give you a better idea of where you stand. I tried to test tpms, but it didn't seem to get any answers back that made sense to me, but the ECU did respond at least.
Old 10-18-14, 08:01 PM
TophersToy
Rookie

Good tips.. I wish I would have tried this before.
I was surfing around the net and found what i thought was updated firmware. It was successfully loaded onto the mini-VCI, but now I can't even communicate with the car. Looks like I've gone a step backwards.. glad you were able to move a step forward

Let me know if you get the TPMS working
Old 10-19-14, 02:02 PM
DarkIs250
Rookie

Hey guys, how did you manage to install the cable driver on a 64bit windows 7? I tried following instructions online for installing the driver for win7 didn't install