IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Safety Recall ELF (E2F) - Preliminary Notice - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 08:27 AM
huyz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Recall ELF (E2F) - Preliminary Notice - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

Could this potentially solve the fuel odor/smell in the cabin problem? For me, most evident after not driving the car for awhile. Goes away after a few minutes and after using circulation.

2009 IS250

Safety Recalls:
Title: Safety Recall ELF (E2F) - Preliminary Notice - Various Models - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

Status - Remedy Not Available

Description - In the subject vehicles, the sealing property of the gasket seated in between the pressure sensor and the fuel delivery pipe could become degraded.

Remedy - Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this condition. Once preparations are complete, Lexus will send an owner notification letter by first class mail to owners of vehicles covered by this Safety Recall

Recall Date - October 15, 2014
Dealer Reference ID - E2F
NHTSA Recall ID - AWAITING#
Old 10-15-14, 08:53 AM
boystar22
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm hoping it solves my fuel odor in the cabin as well. Mine seems to happen when it gets cold outside. It did it last winter and it's already done it a couple times the last couple weeks.
Old 10-15-14, 09:02 AM
huyz13
Rookie

after further searching across the 'net, it seems that it might have something to do with the gasoline too. Gonna search around town for 93 Octane gas (apparently 93 has low amounts of sulfur?) . Definitely worth a try and will report back if there is any difference.
Old 10-15-14, 09:53 AM
lilcoop2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/15/t...ree-campaigns/

From autoblog.com...
Toyota is now announcing specifically which models are covered under its fuel pipe recall in the US. The company is repairing about 423,000 Lexus models that include the 2007-2010 LS, 2006-2011 GS, 2006-2011 IS, 2010 IS C and 2008-2010 IS-F. The automaker says that it isn't aware of any fires, crashes, injuries or fatalities caused by this problem.

According to Toyota, the recall is because it's possible for the fuel delivery pipes and the fuel pressure sensor to form a bad seal with the gasket between them because of a protective coating protecting against corrosion on the pipes. It's possible for this to eventually cause a fuel leak, and obviously in a hot engine bay that's a potential fire risk.

To fix the problem, dealers will replace the gasket and repair the gasket seating surface between the fuel delivery pipe and the fuel pressure sensor. The company will begin notifying owners soon. You can find the official press release, below.

Toyota is issuing three separate recalls covering 1.67 million vehicles worldwide with most of those models in Japan. It looks like the campaigns' impact on the US may be smaller, though. According to Reuters, Toyota isn't aware of any accidents, injuries or fatalities affecting the models. Some yet-unnamed Lexus models might also be affected.
Old 10-15-14, 10:48 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Woohoo! 3is loaner time!
Old 10-15-14, 12:32 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Just read about this over my lunch break, and it didn't seem to be anything different from what had been previously recalled on my 2006 IS. Both the fuel delivery pipe and most recently the fuel sender and internal trunk release latch hatch had been preformed at least a year ago...the fuel pipe itself was even done before I owned the car dating back to pre 2011.
Old 10-15-14, 05:09 PM
mr5parkle
Driver School Candidate

looks like my 2006 IS350 is affected as well.
Old 10-15-14, 05:50 PM
Leowaxx
Pole Position

i hve 2010 is250 w/ 52 K mileage & nver done the carbon build / misfire recalls. Recently i feels something wierd happening with my IS . Sometimes the RPM jumping up from 800-1200 rpm when i start to drive it or put in reverse. So today i called crown lexus ontaria Ca to make appointment for the new recalls ( fuel pipe lines ) 10/15/2014 & the carbon build. But my IS has joe Z intake tube & AFE filter & drilled square bottom box as F sport has it with tanabe catback exhaust. Should i put all oem parts back cuz im going to do the recalls ? Or just leave as it cuz the aftermarket parts won't affect the carbon build / recalls thinging ?
Thanks
Old 10-15-14, 09:41 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Originally Posted by Leowaxx
i hve 2010 is250 w/ 52 K mileage & nver done the carbon build / misfire recalls. Recently i feels something wierd happening with my IS . Sometimes the RPM jumping up from 800-1200 rpm when i start to drive it or put in reverse. So today i called crown lexus ontaria Ca to make appointment for the new recalls ( fuel pipe lines ) 10/15/2014 & the carbon build. But my IS has joe Z intake tube & AFE filter & drilled square bottom box as F sport has it with tanabe catback exhaust. Should i put all oem parts back cuz im going to do the recalls ? Or just leave as it cuz the aftermarket parts won't affect the carbon build / recalls thinging ?
Thanks
I have a 2011 and at a red-light the rpms jump a little in my car.. the car shakes but once I accelerate its gone. Its happened twice so far in the past month.. Idk if you're having the same issue?
Old 10-16-14, 09:22 AM
lilcoop2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Leowaxx
Thanks
Not sure if this is quite what you are experiencing, but I have a 2007 IS250 with a bit over twice your mileage. When accelerating, my RPM's would "hesitate" for a few seconds, and then just pop right up to where they are supposed to be - so the car would not accelerate on demand at times. Other times if I got completely off the accelerator, the RPM's would just sit where they were at instead of gradually begin decreasing - so the car would not slow down at times. By the way, my dash had been lit up like a Christmas tree with a CEL, the information center was saying CHECK VSC, a traction control light, and some exclamation mark. The tech at the Lexus dealership I bring it to told me "Oh - it's a bad exhaust gasket - that'll be $600-something," but I called BS and told them that I'll hold off on it for now. Several oil changes later, they continued to stick to this exhaust gasket story, so with the problem still there, I took it to a mechanic shop I really trust. They pulled the codes and told me that I have two problems - one was obviously a bad cat, and the other they had to run diagnostics for to actually determine the problem. I let them check into it, and it was determined to be the intake manifold (-lower, if I remember correctly). I held off on the cats for the time since I am thinking of going with the PPE headers if I have to get new cats, but pulled the trigger on the intake manifold. So when I went to pick up the car, they showed me to old part, and how at times it would "stick" open or closed, not allowing the air to move through it correctly, which would explain my experience. Ever since they replaced it, my baby drives like a beauty again.
Old 11-21-14, 09:33 AM
chowsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What ! My car can catch on fire like the Tesla's now...lol.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...icles-affected

Makes/Models/Model Years:
LEXUS/GS 350/2007-2011
LEXUS/GS 450H/2007-2011
LEXUS/GS300/2006
LEXUS/GS460/2008-2011
LEXUS/IS 250/2006-2010
LEXUS/IS 250C/2010
LEXUS/IS 350/2006-2011
LEXUS/IS 350C/2010
LEXUS/IS F/2008-2010
LEXUS/LS460/2007-2010
LEXUS/LS460L/2007-2010
LEXUS/LS600H/2010
LEXUS/LS600HL/2008-2010
Mfr's Report Date: October 15, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V-647
Components:
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 422,509
Problem Description:
Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Lexus LS vehicles manufactured
May 9, 2006, to July 20, 2010, 2006-2011 Lexus GS vehicles manufactured January 6, 2005, to September 10, 2010, and 2006-2011
Lexus IS vehicles manufactured August 30, 2005, to September 10, 2010. Due to anti-corrosion plating remnants, fuel may leak from
where the fuel pressure sensor is attached to the fuel delivery pipe.
Old 11-21-14, 04:19 PM
Gville350

If your car isn't leaking by now, it'll probably be fine for life. BUT, since they are paying for a fix AND to ensure your vehicle's service history includes ALL previous recalls had been performed, it'll be in your best interest to have the recall performed regardless.
Old 02-24-15, 03:04 PM
huyz13
Rookie

noticed that a remedy is available for the recall when I checked "My Lexus". Has anyone taken their car in for this recall yet? How long does it take?

Any dealer recommendations in DC, VA, MD area? I bought my car used from a private seller and have never been to a dealer. Always have brought it to my trusted mechanic. Hesitant to bring it in for this recall. Scared they might find something else wrong or make something else worse.

I hope it will fix my issue with a gas smell. The smell is pretty strong when I haven't started it in a few days and the weather is cold. It tends to go away when the car warms up. But it goes away faster when I switch the A/C mode to "recirculate: from the "fresh air" button.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-16, 12:38 PM
cardoc1
Driver

Default Place To Go In SF Bay Area For ELF Recall & Others

After seeing my therapist, getting drugs, spending a day in solitary, I finally got the nerve up to take my virgin 08 ISF with only 1634 miles to Magnussen Lexus in Fremont - I have seen all the horror stories of broken wiring harnesses, sensors and other damage and would not have taken the car in at all with this mileage but this F_ing State of ours (the only state I know of that does this) was holding me hostage on my registration renewal to get it done. So I am here to report I made it through this process without a scratch, broken wiring harness, broken sensor, or scar of any type. The reason for my recovery is the service writer - Dave Kaplan - he is a true Lexus enthusiast and a former tech. I also thank Monte Munoz - the service manager for the connection to Dave & the unknown technician that did the work on my car! I am a retired service writer, technician & machinist (so I know what goes on in the repair business) and have never seen someone with the kind of understanding council & service Dave provided me. So if any of you are cursed like I am caring about your vehicle - go see Dr. Dave - he can't prescribe any drugs (other than possibly an aspirin) but he will find you a cold drink (possibly a pastry), get you through the process, out of your hostage situation, mentally stable & down the road again !!

Last edited by cardoc1; 03-01-16 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Change
Old 03-03-16, 05:46 PM
Gville350

^Good write-up! Man, what a nice garage selection you've got there. Guessing the IS-F has never seen a drop of rain! LOL

Quick Reply: Safety Recall ELF (E2F) - Preliminary Notice - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak