IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Who has the China navigation unit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 08:50 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who has the China navigation unit?

Does anyone here have the China navigation unit from Alibaba or anywhere else? I'm deciding between that or the FlyAudio. I have an older FlyAudio which doesn't work properly anymore and I like the look of the China units. Just got a few questions for those who have it.

1. Does it only display time on the NAV and menu screens? And is it 12 or 24hr time?
2. How hard is it to change the skins/logos and stuff?
3. Does it have an airbag warning, etc?
4. Where can I go to update the unit, etc?
5. Does it come with maps? If so, how do they look? And is it possible to put the OEM maps?

Any feedback on the unit would be great. I know there's a thread but I don't have the time to search through 200 pages. Thanks!
Old 09-22-14, 10:06 PM
Gerb
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I DO flyaudio i think
Old 09-23-14, 07:07 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe they are one in the same. FlyAudio doesn't manufacture anymore, and even if they did their supplier were the same ones from Alibaba.
Old 09-23-14, 08:34 AM
DeanIS
Rookie

extremely odd. I emailed yesterday inquiring about the unit for my 2009 IS250 and they are saying the unit is discontinued. If anyone have the link or contact person to place an order would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Old 09-23-14, 08:57 AM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanIS
extremely odd. I emailed yesterday inquiring about the unit for my 2009 IS250 and they are saying the unit is discontinued. If anyone have the link or contact person to place an order would be greatly appreciated. thank you
http://bonroad.en.alibaba.com/produc...time&edm_ver=e

This is where I got mines.
Old 09-23-14, 12:28 PM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Serifiyah
No price listed, How much did you pay?
Old 09-23-14, 12:49 PM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
No price listed, How much did you pay?
$567 shipped
Old 09-23-14, 02:22 PM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

As I understand it these newer 8" models will leave some space between unit and center vents on 06-08 models. Is this true
Old 09-23-14, 05:22 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As I understand it these newer 8" models will leave some space between unit and center vents on 06-08 models. Is this true
Yes unless you get the newer center air vents
Old 09-24-14, 10:46 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

I think I'll just put some gray foam insulation strips there
Old 09-24-14, 03:05 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chi123
Does anyone here have the China navigation unit from Alibaba or anywhere else? I'm deciding between that or the FlyAudio. I have an older FlyAudio which doesn't work properly anymore and I like the look of the China units. Just got a few questions for those who have it.

1. Does it only display time on the NAV and menu screens? And is it 12 or 24hr time?
2. How hard is it to change the skins/logos and stuff?
3. Does it have an airbag warning, etc?
4. Where can I go to update the unit, etc?
5. Does it come with maps? If so, how do they look? And is it possible to put the OEM maps?

Any feedback on the unit would be great. I know there's a thread but I don't have the time to search through 200 pages. Thanks!
1. It shows 12 hour in the navigation/gps application but 24 hours on the menu screen. I don't think you can change it in the menu.

2. the skins aren't hard, it comes stock with 3 different colors, but if you are computer savy, you can get some premade skins and logos installed. Look at the fly audio group and you will find tons of premade templates there

3. Yes it deos

4. I haven't seen any real firmware updates other than the 7inch and 8 inch units have different firmware. Someone else can chime in

5. It comes with iGo8 Navigation/GPS which is okay. You can load other 3rd party gps software on it. OEM maps will NOT work though
Old 09-24-14, 03:06 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Yes unless you get the newer center air vents
The new center vents still leaves the gap. I have an 06 with the new vent and the gap is just as bad. I think the dashboards are different

I believe they are one in the same. FlyAudio doesn't manufacture anymore, and even if they did their supplier were the same ones from Alibaba.
Originally Posted by DeanIS
FlyAudio never manufactured it. They were just a vendor that sold and installed these units for a huge markup. I think the company that Makes them is Thonzer and I ordered from them directly. They are a Chinese company that makes OEM/Aftermarket GPS units. When I ordered from them, they gave me updates on the build process

Originally Posted by Serifiyah
Alibaba sells them directly from thonzer and other vendors. The payment method is a bit fishy and scares a lot of people but the product is legit

Last edited by NYKnick101; 09-24-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 08:34 PM
mrfresh
Rookie

What about calling??? Can this thing answer calls... caller Id? Texting? ect
Old 09-25-14, 06:26 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfresh
What about calling??? Can this thing answer calls... caller Id? Texting? ect
It has caller ID, but most of the time it pops up as unknown. The audio quality is not very good either for phone calls.

The best advice for the unit, is it perfect, no. It's rough around the edges (software wise, not physically), has some flaws and is missing some features. However, it is an easy install (much easier than factory OEM), looks WAY better than non-navi, provides a lot of new features, and is overall a great buy for the price.

I have no regrets buying my unit and would do it again if I had to,
Old 09-25-14, 07:34 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by getafewliv
It has caller ID, but most of the time it pops up as unknown. The audio quality is not very good either for phone calls.

The best advice for the unit, is it perfect, no. It's rough around the edges (software wise, not physically), has some flaws and is missing some features. However, it is an easy install (much easier than factory OEM), looks WAY better than non-navi, provides a lot of new features, and is overall a great buy for the price.

I have no regrets buying my unit and would do it again if I had to,
It says unknown if you dont have the person in your phone book saved in the car address book. Also, I think the audio quality on mine is decent. I know the first gen units were questionable but in the 2nd gen units with the built in microphone, i never have a problem with the audio.

But I agree with everything. software could be a bit better but definitely worth the money

Quick Reply: Who has the China navigation unit?