IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Broken Wheel Stud need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 02:27 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Broken Wheel Stud need some advice

Well this is the last time I buy open ended lugs. Due to rain, snow, salt over time it causes corrosion to my studs and this happens. So one of my studs were stripped so I went and ordered another wheel stud and in the process of taking my wheels off another stud broke. Problem is its still on the hub so I cannot get my wheel off. Now its just sitting there rotating so I cannot tighten or loosen it. Was just seeing if anyone else ever had this issue and how you dealt with it. I tried by force to yank the wheel off, to get the lug off but no luck. called a few shops and they suggested to take a torch to it a air hammer, both methods could potentially damage my wheel on top of charging me a arm and a leg for their labor. So just seeing if anyone else ever came across this problem and how did you handle it? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 08-18-14 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 02:30 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Girlfriends lugs got stripped onto the wheel like yours were; would turn left or right and not make progress loosening or tightening. We had to drill them off (they weren't open ended). Her problem was her studs weren't long enough, so she ended up buying extended studs. Not sure if that helps since you said it's corrosion related tho. Good luck. It's frustrating for sure
Old 08-18-14, 02:34 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heyarms
Girlfriends lugs got stripped onto the wheel like yours were; would turn left or right and not make progress loosening or tightening. We had to drill them off (they weren't open ended). Her problem was her studs weren't long enough, so she ended up buying extended studs. Not sure if that helps since you said it's corrosion related tho. Good luck. It's frustrating for sure
thanks for the tip yeah I was thinkin thats pretty much my only option just gotta figure out exactly how I'm gonna drill it without damaging the face of my wheel. One slip is all it takes. But I guess I'd rather be the one to damage it than a shop since they all said they won't take responsibility for it
Old 08-18-14, 02:43 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

We actually drilled out the middle and then used these to pull them off. Yours are open ended so you don't really need to drill, theoretically

http://www.lasvegastool.com/Easy-Puller
Old 08-18-14, 04:02 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't you just hate when **** like this happens?

My end link stripped when I did the rear sway bar on my car. Spent hours playing around with it and trying different methods before I got pissed off and took a dremel to the nut.
Old 08-18-14, 06:46 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heyarms
We actually drilled out the middle and then used these to pull them off. Yours are open ended so you don't really need to drill, theoretically

http://www.lasvegastool.com/Easy-Puller
Originally Posted by getafewliv
Don't you just hate when **** like this happens?

My end link stripped when I did the rear sway bar on my car. Spent hours playing around with it and trying different methods before I got pissed off and took a dremel to the nut.
Thanks guys, well the wheel is still secured by 4 lugs, including the one thats stripped LOL but my commute isnt far. Unfortunately with my work schedule I wont be able to tackle this til sunday or monday so hopefully between now and then I will be ok. Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I'll update this once again after I get this figured out in case anyone else runs into this issue
Old 08-18-14, 07:14 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if you don't want to damage the rim, you should take the hub off then work your way from inside
Old 08-18-14, 07:15 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Not sure how that would work BC there's hardly any room in the back but I'll try
Old 08-19-14, 06:52 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decent lug nuts should be fine, open or closed ended; you don’t have to buy super expensive ones but don’t get some junk.

So one is stripped and another stud broke?
Buy some PB Blaster or whatever product you like and spray it and let it sit, Get/ borrow an impact gun and just keep going and going until it comes out.
Worse case you may have to cut the lug nut, but the impact gun should do it.
Now you need to replace the studs and that is a different problem, I am not sure about this car, but some cars are a pain to do, you may need a press or replace the bearing, if that is the case just buy the whole hub with the studs.
You should be ok driving around, but avoid any extra stress on the wheels.

Other points:
1) Use the correct lug nuts for your wheels.
2) Use anti seize. Some people don’t like it but it has work fine for me and many others for years, I always use it for any bolt/ nut that I may want to remove in the future.
3) Use the correct torque; over torque is usually the cause of these issues; get a torque wrench and check them once on a while loose and re-torque. Torque them when the car is cold/ brakes are cold.
4) Lug nuts are a wear item, if one is not going in smooth just get a new one and don’t force them in.
Old 08-19-14, 11:58 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by An2ny
Decent lug nuts should be fine, open or closed ended; you don’t have to buy super expensive ones but don’t get some junk.

So one is stripped and another stud broke?
Buy some PB Blaster or whatever product you like and spray it and let it sit, Get/ borrow an impact gun and just keep going and going until it comes out.
Worse case you may have to cut the lug nut, but the impact gun should do it.
Now you need to replace the studs and that is a different problem, I am not sure about this car, but some cars are a pain to do, you may need a press or replace the bearing, if that is the case just buy the whole hub with the studs.
You should be ok driving around, but avoid any extra stress on the wheels.

Other points:
1) Use the correct lug nuts for your wheels.
2) Use anti seize. Some people don’t like it but it has work fine for me and many others for years, I always use it for any bolt/ nut that I may want to remove in the future.
3) Use the correct torque; over torque is usually the cause of these issues; get a torque wrench and check them once on a while loose and re-torque. Torque them when the car is cold/ brakes are cold.
4) Lug nuts are a wear item, if one is not going in smooth just get a new one and don’t force them in.

Its not the lug nut thats stuck, it would come off so pb blaster is not needed. Problem is the stud is broken but its on the hub so even taking a impact gun wont do anything bc the stud is just spinning around. its impossible to gril the lug
Old 08-19-14, 04:59 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

I had this problem pop-up on a previous car of mine; I had closed, OEM lug nuts too. Anyhow, I ended up drilling the lug nut off; slightly damaged my alloy wheel. Wish you luck cuz it is NO FUN whatsoever!
Old 08-19-14, 07:57 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

similar thread in SC forum post 6 sounds possible

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...lug-nut-2.html

And maybe this video will give you some ideas

Last edited by sjgIS350; 08-19-14 at 08:10 PM.