IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 06:20 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight help

So I just replaced the headlight bulbs because the passenger side one was out. When I put the new bulb in and tried to turn on the lights it is still out! I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the harness numerous times but it still won't turn on. Anyone have any other ideas for troubleshooting why a headlight won't turn on. The DRLs and high beams work. But for whatever reason I can't get the main HID bulb to illuminate. Really wanting to try to figure this out without spending an arm and a leg getting it diagnosed at the dealership.
Old 07-18-14, 09:03 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

It could be a wiring issue. Look and follow the line to see if there are any shortages. It may also be a faulty ballast.
Old 07-18-14, 11:25 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by idoke1
It could be a wiring issue. Look and follow the line to see if there are any shortages. It may also be a faulty ballast.
Wasn't able to find a wiring issue from what I could see.. Do you know how to test the ballast?
Old 07-19-14, 12:10 AM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Well.. you could have a bad ballast
Old 07-19-14, 12:14 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Snyperifle
Well.. you could have a bad ballast
I'm thinking the same thing.. Is there a way to test the ballast without going through the hassle of removing it? I'd prefer to be sure..
Old 07-19-14, 06:36 AM
AKhanis350
Driver

Originally Posted by AZ JB
I'm thinking the same thing.. Is there a way to test the ballast without going through the hassle of removing it? I'd prefer to be sure..
Take the bulb from the side that is working and plug it to the one that isn't working to trouble shoot. This will help identify if the ballast is bad (since you know the bulb works).

You can find replacement ballasts on eBay or look in classifieds. I also bought a set of HID bulbs from eBay and they have been working well.

Let me know what happens...
Old 07-19-14, 11:10 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by AKhanis350
Take the bulb from the side that is working and plug it to the one that isn't working to trouble shoot. This will help identify if the ballast is bad (since you know the bulb works).

You can find replacement ballasts on eBay or look in classifieds. I also bought a set of HID bulbs from eBay and they have been working well.

Let me know what happens...
Well I bought two brand new bulbs and replaced both so I am guessing it must be the ballast. That really sucks..

I looked up buying a replacement and found them for ~$120. That part doesn't bother me… the part that I am confused on is how to replace it. I was researching trying to find DIY guides and so far everything I am reading is saying you have to remove the entire front bumper, then remove the entire headlight and then disassemble that as well. Does this sound right? I may have to take it somewhere because I don't have the time to do all of that right now.
Old 07-19-14, 11:27 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZ JB
Well I bought two brand new bulbs and replaced both so I am guessing it must be the ballast. That really sucks..

I looked up buying a replacement and found them for ~$120. That part doesn't bother me… the part that I am confused on is how to replace it. I was researching trying to find DIY guides and so far everything I am reading is saying you have to remove the entire front bumper, then remove the entire headlight and then disassemble that as well. Does this sound right? I may have to take it somewhere because I don't have the time to do all of that right now.
That's exactly the procedure to replace the ballast. Otherwise the quicker but more expensive way is to get the headlight with the ballast together to save time on the disassembly of the headlight.
Old 07-19-14, 11:29 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by knguyenk
That's exactly the procedure to replace the ballast. Otherwise the quicker but more expensive way is to get the headlight with the ballast together to save time on the disassembly of the headlight.
Awesome, lol.

Well I guess I'll be calling around for quotes! Thanks for the help guys.