IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

H11 Xenon HID Conversion - Relay Harness?

Old 08-28-14, 10:54 AM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H11 Xenon HID Conversion - Relay Harness?

Hey everyone, I purchased the H11 Extreme kit and was hoping you guys could help me out with my 2011 2IS

It seems like all the tutorials on how to do an install are based on the Volt kit (i.e. no relay harness used). The tutorials below (plus others) never mentions the relay harness or what we should do with it.

I connected everything as mentioned in the above tutorial (i.e. removed the OEM bulb, attached the OEM bulb connector to the new HID connector (the one beside the HID bulb), and when I switch on the headlights, nothing comes on. Is that all I should be doing?

Do I need to wire the relay directly into the battery in order to get power? I have no idea what I should be doing with this piece.

Just wondering if you any of you have had this issue? I've also searched a few other threads but can't find anything on it.
Old 08-28-14, 12:51 PM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Please note all the other HID bulb connectors are connected to the ballast.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 08-28-14, 01:00 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the extreme kit, never used the relays. HID fires up 1st time, every time.
Old 08-28-14, 01:18 PM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply awol, that's what I was afraid of.

So to recap what I did, I unplugged the headlight bulb and plugged that connector to the HID connector that goes to the HID ballast. The ballast and HID bulb connectors are all connected. When I turn the headlights on, the HID bulb doesn't fire.

Is that all that's needed for the HID bulb to fire? Basically, all the power is being drawn from the OEM headlight connector?

After doing a further read of the HID relay thread, I plan on installing the relays, but I just want to do a simple test to see whether I have things wired correctly.

Would anyone else have any insights?
Old 08-28-14, 04:11 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Test your kit without the relay wire harness first:
headlight connector => ballast => ignitor => HID bulb

Also this is from their website:
Q: I have installed my HID Kit (without the use of a relay harness) and neither lights ignite. What do I do?
A: Your vehicle most likely has reversed polarity. You would need to reverse the locations of the black/white wire on our harness that connect to your vehicle's OEM headlight wiring.

DIY from fellow member:
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Lexus-IS25...n-Kit-s/68.htm
Old 08-28-14, 06:48 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spliff, plug the harness in the opposite way. the kits come with the plug in the wrong polarity. so instead of plugging it in and having it click, just turn it around and it should work. it wont click but it shouldnt come off either
Old 08-31-14, 08:22 PM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys I'm feeling like the village idiot here. I've tried connecting the ballast to the headlight socket both ways and I'm still not getting any juice. I for sure have something wrong here.

Here's a quick couple of vids of my setup. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Old 09-01-14, 11:34 AM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

the middle part of your kit looks funny... the bulb has two wires that gets connected to the two wires with the square block. it looks like someone cut that part and did something to it. can u take a better pic of the two wires in the middle?

should look like this
Attached Thumbnails H11 Xenon HID Conversion - Relay Harness?-img_0960.jpg  
Old 09-01-14, 11:42 AM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

nevermind. your passenger side works. either the ballast on the driver side is bad or the bulb. take the working ballast on the passenger side and connected to the bulb in the video and see if the bulb comes on. if it comes on, than you have a bad ballast and need to order a replacement ballast
Old 09-01-14, 02:41 PM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fuzzie
nevermind. your passenger side works. either the ballast on the driver side is bad or the bulb. take the working ballast on the passenger side and connected to the bulb in the video and see if the bulb comes on. if it comes on, than you have a bad ballast and need to order a replacement ballast
The passenger side has my halogen bulb still installed, just to show that the lights are indeed turned on.

I tried both ballasts and both bulbs. Here's what I have for my setup. I plugged the socket circled in yellow to the headlight harness. Is this correct?

Old 09-01-14, 04:30 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Page 6 for Extreme kit install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
instructionGuide.pdf (857.6 KB, 253 views)
Old 09-01-14, 05:07 PM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meguerra
Page 6 for Extreme kit install.
Thanks, but this involves using the relay. Also, do I need to connect the ballast directly to the battery? This kind of stuff isn't in any "how to" guides, and therefore is confusing as to what I need to do.
Old 09-01-14, 06:25 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you're connecting to the correct connector, just flip it and plug it in, you should be good to go.
Old 09-01-14, 06:29 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if you can't flip the connector from the car then flip the other connector that I circled below.

what you did was "-" end up with "+", you need to make sure the "+" with "+" and "-" with "-"

Old 09-02-14, 06:35 AM
spliff
Driver School Candidate

That's odd, I am able to flip the connector from the headlight socket to the ballast and it still doesn't work. The socket to the ballast doesn't "click" but I can still stuff the prongs into the socket to get what I believe should be connected. I'd hate to have to take apart either the ballast or the socket to get things working.

I'll try flipping around the socket jonathanz, thanks for the suggestion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H11 Xenon HID Conversion - Relay Harness?