IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alignment and a control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 09:14 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment and a control arm?

I took my car to Gran Truismo East to get the alignment done to see if it'd help with the inner tire wear and the car often drifts to the right. Here are my specs obviously all he could change was the toe which he did but he also said the reason the car is drifting is because the rear control arm is bent? he said it could be due to hitting a curb too many times which has only been done once by my dad (He was turning out of a driveway and the tire dropped from the curb to the road at less than 5 MPH) So he gave me a part number and its 48075-30040 any one have any ideas on this? Someone rear ended me awhile back could that also be the cause? (The shop i took it to was suppose to be excellent so hopefully they checked it out before)

Anyways here are my specs now:
Attached Thumbnails Alignment and a control arm?-photo.jpg  
Old 07-16-14, 06:31 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

If your arm is bent you can go after market to adjust camber. Figs engineering sale kit with lower rear arm, toe and front lower arm bushing. The bushing will help with inner tire wear as wheel.
Old 07-16-14, 07:54 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Either you misunderstood or you were given the wrong part number. He gave you the part number for an offset bushing/bracket that goes on the rear end of the front lower control arm. This part has nothing to do with a bent rear control arm.

Whether or not this part will help or not is not something anyone here can help with, but it is possible that it will help. Also do a search for worn edges of tires; if you do decide to replace the bushings do not order OEM Lexus parts, go to FIGS and order one offset bushing and one normal bushing.
Old 07-16-14, 05:14 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Either you misunderstood or you were given the wrong part number. He gave you the part number for an offset bushing/bracket that goes on the rear end of the front lower control arm. This part has nothing to do with a bent rear control arm.

Whether or not this part will help or not is not something anyone here can help with, but it is possible that it will help. Also do a search for worn edges of tires; if you do decide to replace the bushings do not order OEM Lexus parts, go to FIGS and order one offset bushing and one normal bushing.

Thats what the guy said was wrong. Though I don't know how much I trust him cause he kept saying i should rotate the front tires to the rear. (They're staggered) and thats the part number the computer came up with.

I was more so asking if anyone knows if that could be the cause or if anyone has had a similar issue with the car still drifting even though everything is within spec.
Old 07-16-14, 10:05 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The problem is most likely with the caster... According to the specs the caster is at: 7.5 LF 7.2 RF
The car will pull to the lower number, in this case the right... Ideally you would want the RF to be higher than the LF to compensate for the crown of the road... Say 7.5 LF 7.8 RF... Unfortunately this is not adjustable... I believe the tech was telling you that the RF arm is bent not the RR...

Look at the note on the bottom of the alignment sheet, it reads "RF lower control arm bracket"...
Old 07-17-14, 09:00 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mike33
I believe the tech was telling you that the RF arm is bent not the RR...

Look at the note on the bottom of the alignment sheet, it reads "RF lower control arm bracket"...
That is a description of what the listed part number is.
Old 07-18-14, 03:52 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Originally Posted by mike33
The problem is most likely with the caster... According to the specs the caster is at: 7.5 LF 7.2 RF
The car will pull to the lower number, in this case the right... Ideally you would want the RF to be higher than the LF to compensate for the crown of the road... Say 7.5 LF 7.8 RF... Unfortunately this is not adjustable... I believe the tech was telling you that the RF arm is bent not the RR...

I'll try calling the guy at the shop again monday. He drew up a little diagram to show me the arm has shifted from its normal spot. Hopefully I can get the drifting to stop as most of my driving is on the highway