IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Power Steering doesn't work after doing the IS-F Steering ECU mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 04:26 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I took yalls advice and drove down to the dealer on the stock ecu, then swapped it in the parking lot. Luckily they were able to get it calibrated without issue. I cant tell you how relieved i am! I just don't understand why im the first person to do the ecu swap and it provide no power steering assist at all until calibration. Plus what was with the other issues, who knows.
Glad that this has finally been resolved. Now go enjoy your new IS-F steering ecu mod!
Old 07-10-14, 06:14 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
This isn't reflashing an ECU with a new calibration file, it's just running the calibration procedure. Similar to zero point initialization, etc. TechStream Lite can do the EPS computer calibration.

Jeff

Jeff, Were you able to do is? When I played around with a professional diagnostic subscription to TIS using the junk cable the process was accessible. It was not however present on the clone software even for initialization. Maybe it was because the 2 codes were present and couldn't be cleared to start initialization?
Old 07-10-14, 11:03 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I've never used any clone stuff, just official TechStream and TechStream Lite units.

Jeff
Old 07-11-14, 04:10 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So what does the IS-F ECU do that makes all this trouble worth it? Sounds like a pain in the *** to me....
Old 07-11-14, 06:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

it updates the steering feel to what an 2011+ ISF feels like, and when you put the ECT button in Power the steering wheel will stiffen. Its not a PITA, OP didnt know about the calibration that you have to do with the techstream software. So bring both ECUs to the dealer, swap in the ISF one, get them to calibrate it and its done. Even some pre 2011 ISF owners swap to the 2011+ ISF steering ECUs and even for them its a noticeable upgrade.
Old 07-11-14, 07:07 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I took yalls advice and drove down to the dealer on the stock ecu, then swapped it in the parking lot. Luckily they were able to get it calibrated without issue. I cant tell you how relieved i am! I just don't understand why im the first person to do the ecu swap and it provide no power steering assist at all until calibration. Plus what was with the other issues, who knows.

Whats the scoop with the techstream cable, is this something I should look into?
I don't think that is the case, IIRC any time you install a new PS ECU you will lose PS until it is calibrated. You might be the first one who had the car not start and the dash light up like a chirstmas tree, but I'm sure you aren't the first to go without PS for a while.
Old 07-11-14, 08:08 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
it updates the steering feel to what an 2011+ ISF feels like, and when you put the ECT button in Power the steering wheel will stiffen.
Sounds dope AF
Old 07-11-14, 08:20 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats the scoop with the techstream cable, is this something I should look into?
Didnt notice you got this resolved, good stuff man.
How much did the dealer charge you to calibrate?

Also care to share with us the differences you feel after the ECU swap?

thanks
MEAHT
Old 07-11-14, 10:14 PM
240M3SRT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Didnt notice you got this resolved, good stuff man.
How much did the dealer charge you to calibrate?

Also care to share with us the differences you feel after the ECU swap?

thanks
MEAHT
Sure, they charged me 1.2hr labor at Toyota, $126, although it only took them about 30-40 min.

After having driven the car today I consider this mod a must. I have owned my IS350 just shy of a year and the front and rear sway bars was my first suspension mod, as well as the best money I have spent towards handling, however the steering always felt "finicky" to me, to the point where I vowed never to own another electric steering equipped car again, I was actually on the fence about selling my car over this. I consider the ISF ecu swap the mod that has given me hope for this vehicle. I do not consider the steering to be any heavier, or even to give more resistance to my inputs like I thought it would. Rather what I did notice was that the car is actually predictable now, it switches lanes at 75mph like a proper performance vehicle should, where as before it was like the steering was trying to second guess and over compensate for me...I never truly felt in control until now.

Btw, did I mention I am on luxury package shocks and springs? I think im about to pull the trigger on something a bit more fitting for my new ISF ecu, then we will see how things improve overall.
Old 07-24-14, 09:38 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

God damnit....

Well, I picked up my ECU from the dealer today and gave it a shot. Same issue, no power steering.

I had not been up to date on this thread, so I thought that the no power steering was a sign of a problem, maybe not? I tried calibrating with my chinese techstream, but had no luck. When following the directions, it said to verify that the PS light was on, but it never came on.

Ran out of day light and had to put the stock one back in.

I will give it another try tomorrow or Saturday.

Does anyone have directions on how to use Techstream to calibrate the ECU?
Old 07-25-14, 01:39 AM
felixt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Are you in Vancouver BC? I had the ECU for about a year now but I've been lazy to install and couldn't get my chinese techstream to work either, apparently it should be on the menu but I can't seem to find it either....
Old 07-25-14, 08:03 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by felixt
^
Are you in Vancouver BC? I had the ECU for about a year now but I've been lazy to install and couldn't get my chinese techstream to work either, apparently it should be on the menu but I can't seem to find it either....
Yeah, in Burnaby.

I am really hoping I can get this to work without having to pay more. Spending $350 was already more than I wanted to spend....

I found where you're supposed to calibrate in the menu, just couldn't get it working. Under EMPS, then utility is where you calibrate.

Did you have your new ECU installed when you were looking in techstream?
Old 07-26-14, 08:25 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

It appears it "might" work based on software and hardware versions.

The short answer from my experience was No. The clone TS would not clear the new PS ECM codes and allow it to run the programming script. I purchased a 2day professional diagnostic subscription to TIS and got access to what I needed. However, getting the cheap cable to work with the "real" TIS software was borderline impossible.

Last edited by mikellucci; 07-26-14 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 10:10 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

To clarify things, it looks like the loss of power steering is not an issue., but it seems to only happens to some people.

Not sure why I kept getting communication errors, but eventually my unit was able to successfully calibrate. After calibration completed, power steering came back and no issues since.

My 'PS' light never came on, even though techstream said it should have. I ignored the warning and continued without any issues.
Old 07-28-14, 10:30 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see your issue being resolved. Look like disconnecting the battery for 10-15 mins and reconnecting it back together with calibration at the dealership fixes the problem.

What difference do you feel when there is no power steering assist?? Also, the real question is, how does it handles now with the ISF ECU?

Quick Reply: Help! Power Steering doesn't work after doing the IS-F Steering ECU mod