Pioneer AVIC 8000nex

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 08:15 PM
dlcs500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC 8000nex

Hey guys,

I've been using CL for a few months now to answer any questions I have about my 2008 2IS regarding upgrades and what will fit in my car. But I just joined CL to ask this question because I could not find any answers anywhere online or anywhere here using the search function.

I am wanting to completely upgrade my sound system to where every part of it will make me thoroughly enjoy sitting in stop and go traffic to and from work

I have all of the components figured out except for the headunit. I was dead set on the AVIC 8000nex because it fits everything that I could ever want in terms of functionality, aesthetics, and the type of touch screen.

Does anybody know if it will fit in a 2IS? If it does fit, will I still be able to control my A/C? That's the biggest and hardest question I am trying to figure out right now... will I still be able to control my A/C?

If it does not fit, is there another headunit that can control the A/C?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any help that is given.

~DL
Old 07-09-14, 08:28 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will have to be a lot of custom work and it will not be cheap. Have people done it? Yes. Is it easy? No.

Is there anything specific about the stock head unit that you don't like or feel the need to change?

If you are going to change the sound system, you will have to go all out to make it worth it.

I have 2 subs and an amp added to my stock system and I find it sounds great.
Old 07-09-14, 09:01 PM
dlcs500
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by getafewliv
It will have to be a lot of custom work and it will not be cheap. Have people done it? Yes. Is it easy? No.

Is there anything specific about the stock head unit that you don't like or feel the need to change?

If you are going to change the sound system, you will have to go all out to make it worth it.

I have 2 subs and an amp added to my stock system and I find it sounds great.
If I had to choose a single feature that I do not like about the stock headunit would be that it does not support bluetooth audio streaming. That being said, that reason alone is not even close to being worth it to customize everything just for that. There are so many features that the 8000nex has that would make it completely worth it IMO. Bluetooth connectivity, capacitative touch screen (or whatever it's called), video player, multiple usb ports for connecting audio usb drives or phone for better audio quality (and to charge my phone at the same time). Those are just to name a few. I could go on and on about this headunit lol.

I am already planning on spending 6k when i decide to pull the trigger. And that will be when I save 6k If custom work is what needs to be done in order to put this headunit in, I would be willing to do it within reason. If it's going to cost me another 3 grand, I dont think it would necessarily be worth it. What kind of custom work would need to be done? I was thinking of maybe replacing the cd slot and buttons down there by the ash tray with aftermarket A/C controls so I wouldn't even need to incorporate the A/C controls with the headunit. Is that kind of what you were thinking?

Thanks for the response. Got me pointed in the right direction so far I think. Any more help would be just as appreciated.

~DL
Old 07-09-14, 09:10 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to CL. Most people have placed a motorized unit down where the cd changer is. It takes a lot if work and custom molding of the plastic trim. There was a kit that was supposed to come out and replace the center vents for a single din. Here's a guy that just posted. Read his thread and look at his other links and what he did. I did a 6K system too but I just went with the Fly Audio head unit to get DVD but that's what the shop hated the most also. The head unit was the weak link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...008-is250.html

Here are some people's custom sound systems for ideas. Mine is in there somewhere.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...our-setup.html

Last edited by Sffd103; 07-09-14 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-09-14, 09:16 PM
dlcs500
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Welcome to CL. Most people have placed a motorized unit down where the cd changer is. It takes a lot if work and custom molding of the plastic trim. There was a kit that was supposed to come out and replace the center vents for a single din. Here's a guy that just posted. Read his thread and look at his other links and what he did. I did a 6K system too but I just went with the Fly Audio head unit to get DVD but that's what the shop hated the most also. The head unit was the weak link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...008-is250.html
Thanks for the link! I'm gonna read it right now.

Would it be possible to do what your talking about, but instead move the stock unit down to the cd slot area and put the Pioneer one in the factory place? I really love the navigation on the avic 8000 so I would want that to be in the factory location.

Thanks for the reply!

~DL
Old 07-09-14, 09:41 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Originally Posted by dlcs500
Thanks for the link! I'm gonna read it right now.

Would it be possible to do what your talking about, but instead move the stock unit down to the cd slot area and put the Pioneer one in the factory place? I really love the navigation on the avic 8000 so I would want that to be in the factory location.

Thanks for the reply!

~DL
I don't think it's possible, but I guess anything is possible. I don't know who could do that.
Old 07-09-14, 09:57 PM
dlcs500
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I don't think it's possible, but I guess anything is possible. I don't know who could do that.
Haha! Ya, I thought it sounded a little crazy, but I still thought I should ask.

I really like that setup that guy has with the tablet, but I think the integration would be much more simple with the 8000nex headunit. So now what I am thinking is maybe I could swap the headunits out plain and simple and then replace the cd changer and buttons with the non-navigation HVAC controls that he has in his 2IS. Obviously it will still take some custom work and obtaining the correct parts, but I think that sounds pretty reasonable and realistic IMO. At least more so than my last idea.

What do you think?
Old 07-09-14, 10:25 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Originally Posted by dlcs500
Haha! Ya, I thought it sounded a little crazy, but I still thought I should ask.

I really like that setup that guy has with the tablet, but I think the integration would be much more simple with the 8000nex headunit. So now what I am thinking is maybe I could swap the headunits out plain and simple and then replace the cd changer and buttons with the non-navigation HVAC controls that he has in his 2IS. Obviously it will still take some custom work and obtaining the correct parts, but I think that sounds pretty reasonable and realistic IMO. At least more so than my last idea.

What do you think?
If you're willing to take it on, then go for it. That's past my technical skills. Good luck though.
Old 07-10-14, 07:44 AM
dlcs500
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all of the help you have given me. I found this on eBay that I'm going to get so I can control the a/c without a touch screen. I'll fabricate it so that the a/c controls take the place of the cd changer.

Going to have to figure out how to post pictures before I can show you.