IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Down here in New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 03:00 AM
tiny2009
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, that's a good result. Great they found it had been completed so quickly.
Old 07-21-14, 03:07 AM
mrkim
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NZIS350
Hi all

Thought it would be worth seeing who's around here from NZ

Although available new from dealers in NZ, the vast majority of IS's (and a large proportion of all cars here) are imported from Japan as used imports. Although probably not as cheap as the US, it means we have access to the masses of cars that come out of the Japanese auctions each day (which can be up to 30,000/day).

Because they are JDM spec there are some issues such as Jap Nav systems, but also a few bits and pieces the US misses out on such as JDM rain guards and OEM remote starters.

I bought mine directly from the auctions so a few unknowns until it arrived. Main bonus was the Suruga Speed exhaust which I'm a fan of.

I posted more photos up in the roll call thread, but my 06 IS350 is below

Many other Kiwi's lurking here?
wait wait OEM REMOTE STARTER?! I WANT!!!!
Old 07-21-14, 03:21 AM
tiny2009
Rookie

A quick google on the remote start and it looks like the mysterious antenna I've got on my dash (and was too scared to remove) is part of the remote start kit. Previous owner in Japan must have lost/kept the remote. Close... but not close enough.
Old 07-21-14, 04:54 AM
mrkim
Banned

picture please... I must... see if I can get one... I like the whole remote start idea hehehehehe cause me lazy like that
Old 07-21-14, 02:57 PM
NZIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrkim
picture please... I must... see if I can get one... I like the whole remote start idea hehehehehe cause me lazy like that
Sure. The remote looks like this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...mote-start.jpg and yes there is an aerial on the dash which is the receiver.

It came with a full Japanese manual which makes little sense, but after pressing enough buttons the system works and will remote start.
Old 07-21-14, 05:33 PM
tiny2009
Rookie

Not sure what phone you have but try the camdictionary app. It might help translate some of it.

I had a look at a youtube video, does it read back the incar temp to you or something like that?
Old 07-21-14, 05:41 PM
NZIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tiny2009
Not sure what phone you have but try the camdictionary app. It might help translate some of it.

I had a look at a youtube video, does it read back the incar temp to you or something like that?
Not sure sorry. Will see what else I can figure out with it. All I've figured out i how to start it and than you can set a timer for how long it runs for. Will have a wade through the manual
Old 07-29-14, 03:55 PM
NZIS350
Driver School Candidate

Just wondering if anyone has tried removing the rear numberplate mount for the squarer Japanese plates? Mine sits on top ok, but it would be neater without it (unless there are holes etc underneath)
Old 07-29-14, 04:05 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Wow that OEM remote starter looks awesome. So jealous
Old 07-29-14, 04:41 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like both the front lip, rear lips and fog lamp. I never seen such kit nor fog lamp in person like this. Very nice! Real JDM yoooo Welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 07-29-14, 05:36 PM
Droth
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NZIS350
Just wondering if anyone has tried removing the rear numberplate mount for the squarer Japanese plates? Mine sits on top ok, but it would be neater without it (unless there are holes etc underneath)
Mine doesn't have the plate thing like yours so I'd guess it's fine to take off
Old 08-22-14, 06:13 AM
jaynz
Driver School Candidate

Just picked up a 2006 IS350 from Auckland today (same colour as yours NZIS350), and drove it back to Wellington on a single tank. Was a fun drive back!

Are there any translations of the Japanese display text? Guessing its not cheap to change it to english, but shouldn't be too hard to remember what everything does if there are english examples around somewhere.
Old 08-23-14, 09:16 PM
tiny2009
Rookie

Nice choice, what spec/extras you got?

I find I can get what I need from the Japanese headunit, navi wont work and you cannot change the Jap units to work with NZ maps.

Cost is $2-3k for a NZ new unit I think, depends on the unit to change to.

As I mentioned above, try the "camdictionary" app on your phone, that might help make some sense from some of the buttons.
Old 08-24-14, 12:18 AM
jaynz
Driver School Candidate

I think its the sports package. AFS headlights, auto-tilt side mirrors, memory seats, reverse camera but no sensors, 18" wheels & no sunroof.

Also found TV tuner today although guessing that won't work here, minidisk player (have to find some!), and HDD that is full of music, but not sure how to change what's on it.

Whats the little unit with an eject button in the glove box?
Old 08-24-14, 02:35 AM
tiny2009
Rookie

Originally Posted by jaynz
I think its the sports package. AFS headlights, auto-tilt side mirrors, memory seats, reverse camera but no sensors, 18" wheels & no sunroof.
Sweet, sounds great.

Also found TV tuner today although guessing that won't work here, minidisk player (have to find some!), and HDD that is full of music, but not sure how to change what's on it.
Nope, TV wont work. With some kit I think you can get it to work, I've seen it done with older Toyotas that had a Japanese TV. I had mine full with Japanese music, mucked around and eventually wiped the HDD, then did it again a few months later by accident (oops)

Do you have the Mark Levinson sound system?

Whats the little unit with an eject button in the glove box?
That's used for the toll roads in Japan, basically load a card and it tracks when you use toll roads.

Quick Reply: Down here in New Zealand