IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 and IS350 Dashboard Defect Possible Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 11:05 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My front door panels were approved to replaced and all I owe is $99 in labor. Beyond happy! My advisor at the dealership took pics and sent them in to corporate. Guessing it may have something to do with the fact that I have gone to the dealership for service over the years since I have the platinum warranty.
Old 08-19-14, 01:59 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know the partnumber for the dash board on sewell?
Old 08-19-14, 02:41 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Does anyone know the partnumber for the dash board on sewell?
I don't think there is part number, but here is the link to it on the site. The one I selected is for an IS350, 2006 but should be the same for all of them.

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/4959.html
Old 08-19-14, 04:50 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^With the CL discount it is <$500; but w/o shipping.
Old 08-19-14, 04:54 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gville350
^With the CL discount it is <$500; but w/o shipping.
Forgot about that. My cart shows $435.34 for the dash. I thought that's not too bad until the lowest cost shipping choice was $160.78. If you're in a rush you can opt for FedEx 2 day for $1024.20 and if you absolutely need it tomorrow you can overnight it for $1367.74.

Those shipping rates are from Sewell to SoCal so YMMV....
Old 08-19-14, 06:53 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by is250gurl
My front door panels were approved to replaced and all I owe is $99 in labor. Beyond happy! My advisor at the dealership took pics and sent them in to corporate. Guessing it may have something to do with the fact that I have gone to the dealership for service over the years since I have the platinum warranty.
Which dealer, my door panels need replacing too
Old 08-21-14, 11:30 AM
MD99SC300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the lawsuit info, I went ahead and emailed Nari my info. I currently live in MD (will be moving back to Houston, TX in a few weeks) and bought my 2008 IS350 from someone up here who originally bought it in Florida. I didn’t notice any symptoms until recently with the summer heat. As other members have already mentioned, it becomes sticky and scratches easily as evident on my front passenger door panel that has numerous chips and scratches. Currently working with Lexus HQ and the Lexus Silver Spring dealership to get this paid for 100%. I was told by Lexus HQ to go to the dealer and snap some pictures so I’m headed to do that soon. We’ll see what happens.

By the way, anyone else had any luck getting this replaced by any Lexus dealers in Houston without going through Lexus HQ?
Old 08-21-14, 11:40 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts

Had an 08 but windshield was tinted so never had a problem but now ave 2011 and again tinted still like new
Old 09-23-14, 03:17 PM
HotMelt250
Driver School Candidate

Wow, I am so glad I found this page... I was researching online to see if anyone had been experiencing the issue of a melting/sticky dash board and side door panels.

I almost got in a wreck today due to this sticky residue!

When I left my home for work, I of course used my door handle to pull the door shut. I didn't realize that my hand transferred the residue to the wheel. When I made my left turn, I expected my wheel to glide through my hand, as it normally does, when coming out of the corner. Instead, as the wheel slid through my hand it caught the sticky patch and kept my car in a left turn. There was a car immediately next to me but slightly behind me(both lanes make a left) and as I crossed into his lane (completely cutting him off) he slammed on the brakes and hit his horn.

Nothing like a little adernaline to start my morning!!!! All jokes aside, I am worried this issue is going to catch someone else off guard, like it did to me, and cause a wreck. If the guy next to me was just a little closer or wasn't paying attention we would have collided.

Any suggestions on how to remove the sticky / tacky residue?
Old 09-24-14, 08:10 AM
mrfresh
Rookie

Originally Posted by teaguedp90
there was a TSB issued by lexus in december of 2011 but it only applied to 06-08 models under lexus comprehensive warranty (4-5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.) i know you there is also nhtsa.dot.gov where you can file a complaint. make sure you state that the shiny/sticky dash causes a safety issue with glare on the windshield while driving and a degraded dash can result in possible degradation to the passenger front air bag. or something along those lines.

Here is what I just emailed my service rep .... lets see how it goes :

As I pointed out to you in person after picking up my vehicle from Lexus Service yesterday, my vehicles is unfortunately the victim of the defective dashboard and door panel units that are notorious in these vehicles. The Lexus Valet Parking ticket was literally stuck to the dashboard after less than 24 hours of sitting in the sun at your service center. That is simply unacceptable, especially for a Lexus.

Besides the apparent poor appearance caused by the sticky interior panels and dashboard there are also serious safety concerns as well. I have noticed that while driving the shiny / sticky dashboard causes an extreme glare on the windshield while driving, to the point that I become blinded and have to pull over to the side of the road for fear of getting into an accident. My other safety concern is that this degraded dashboard could result in possible degradation to the passenger front air bag.

Due to these safety issues I hope that Lexus will honor their commitment and service my vehicle for the TSIB - L-SB-0144-11 to address the Defective Dashboard and Interior Panels.

( Please See Attached TSIB - L-SB-0144-11 )

I appreciate all your assistance.
Old 09-24-14, 10:51 AM
RapidFire
Driver School Candidate

Wow what a nightmare sorry to all affected I hope they make this right for you.

I was lucky enough to get a 2010 model which apparently has a different dash - reading through the thread though there was a post suggesting using Armorall isn't a great idea. Is that true? I've been using the Armorall Protectant spray on my dash (and the leather protectant on the seats) once a week after washing it.

No good? If not what is the better alternative?
Old 09-24-14, 11:02 AM
Machog
Driver

FYI, the dashes on the IS250c & 350 are made of a different finish. Here in AZ we get blasted by the sun 12 months of year and no sign of any degradation. Good luck with the law suit.

Machog
Old 09-24-14, 12:12 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotMelt250
Wow, I am so glad I found this page... I was researching online to see if anyone had been experiencing the issue of a melting/sticky dash board and side door panels.

I almost got in a wreck today due to this sticky residue!

When I left my home for work, I of course used my door handle to pull the door shut. I didn't realize that my hand transferred the residue to the wheel. When I made my left turn, I expected my wheel to glide through my hand, as it normally does, when coming out of the corner. Instead, as the wheel slid through my hand it caught the sticky patch and kept my car in a left turn. There was a car immediately next to me but slightly behind me(both lanes make a left) and as I crossed into his lane (completely cutting him off) he slammed on the brakes and hit his horn.

Nothing like a little adernaline to start my morning!!!! All jokes aside, I am worried this issue is going to catch someone else off guard, like it did to me, and cause a wreck. If the guy next to me was just a little closer or wasn't paying attention we would have collided.

Any suggestions on how to remove the sticky / tacky residue?
I use 1z Deep Plastic Cleaner on my dashboard, which helps with the stickiness. Apply when the dash is cool, never clean it when hot. This product has really helped with the sticky/shiny appearance. However, the ultimate fix should be from Lexus, which is a new dash made of a better material.
Old 09-25-14, 12:30 PM
skoota500
Rookie

After reading a few post on this issue, and realizing that my dash is doing the same. I called corporate to let them know of the issue and to see what they had to say about it. Basically, you call corporate (the 1-800 #) you tell them about your dash being defective, they will advise you to take your car to your nearest dealer and let them take a look at it. So, that's what I did. Got to the dealership and the service advisor tried to act like he had never heard of this dashboard problem. He even denied knowing about the TSB from 2011 (I was getting pissed). Next the service manager came out. I explained the same to her as I did the advisor. I told her I have already communicated with corporate. She told the advisor do not worry about sending pics to corporate, just go file the claim. He took some info from me and told me that it would take a couple days to hear back. The service advisor called me a couple days later, saying "Yes, we will help you with your dashboard" Lexus would cover half of the part and 15% of the labor my total cost was still around $1100. I have called corporate again to let them know of the price I was quoted. My claim is now being looked over by a manager at the corporate level. I shall here back in a few days, hopefully they call back with some better news because $1100 is ******* ridiculous for a defective part on a LEXUS.
Old 01-20-15, 05:40 PM
HaYnMogLi
Driver School Candidate

Live in Hawaii and when I leave my car in the sun it has the same problem. What is more irritating are the scuff marks.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 and IS350 Dashboard Defect Possible Lawsuit