IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'06 IS350 Auto Headlamp question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 11:42 AM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '06 IS350 Auto Headlamp question

My wife had a meeting today in a different building and she had to park inside a parking garage. When she came out about 2 hours later from the meeting she noticed the HID's were still on. She said the car turned over slowly but did start up. While driving back to her building she said the car made a couple of ding noises but there were no notifications on the dash or on the Nav Screen to indicate what they were for. She normally parks outside at work with a Lexus sunshade in the window. At home it is garaged and the lamps come on when she pulls in the garage but they have always shut off before.

I was nearby so went to her work and took her car and brought it home. No issues for me with starting and no out of place dings/beeps.

I checked the battery connections (both tight and clean) and put my meter on it. Running at 12.65v with everything off. I also checked the door switches thinking maybe it didn't register her leaving the vehicle and therefore didn't shut off the lights. Driver side was tight and clean. Backed out the bolt (ground) and checked for corrosion. Looked clean, put on some dielectric grease and torqued it back down. Pass side one had a bit of corrosion on the threads but I cleaned it off and greased it and torqued it back down.

We've had the IS for almost 5 months now. 90k miles on it, previous owner had battery and alternator replaced with Lexus parts not too long ago.

I did a quick search and didn't see any other IS owners reporting issues with the automatic headlamps remaining on, but I may just be searching the wrong terms.

Is there anything else I should check that may be causing them to remain on?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-14, 12:20 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

That's an issue I've not encountered on here before. For now I'd recommend turning off the "Auto" mode.
Old 06-24-14, 12:43 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think it may have something to do with the sequence of events that triggers the lights to automatically turn off. Personally, I never use the AUTO option because there have been a couple of times where I inadvertently messed up the sequence, which caused the lights to stay on.

If I remember right, you have to do the following in order for the AUTO function to work properly:

Turn the car off.
Open the door. You should hear a mechanical sound.
Close the door.
Lock the car with the keyfob or the button on the handle.

If you mess up the sequence, for example opening the car door, then turning off the car, or locking the door, then unlocking it and opening it because something was left inside, then closing and locking the door will mess up the AUTO function and the lights will stay on. You can test it to be sure, but I'm pretty sure this is what's happening.

On a somewhat related note, if you have your headlights on low-beam, they will always automatically turn off as long as you don't toggle a different lighting option once the car is off. IE If you happen to turn off the car, then turn low-beams to parking lights, your parking lights will stay on. Another thing to note is that you can force the headlights to turn off by hitting Lock on your keyfob a second time. If the lights don't turn off, they will stay on until you manually switch them off on the turn signal stalk.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-24-14, 02:12 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used techstream to disable the feature where the lights stay on after you exit the car.

When I turn off the car and open the door, lights go off. I like it much better this way.
Old 06-24-14, 03:08 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I think it may have something to do with the sequence of events that triggers the lights to automatically turn off.
It is entirely possible that this is the cause. I'll ask her when she gets home, but she may have opened the door to check the parking job and left it open while she turned the car off. Seems like a plausible scenario. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-24-14, 03:11 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by getafewliv
I used techstream to disable the feature where the lights stay on after you exit the car.

When I turn off the car and open the door, lights go off. I like it much better this way.
Yes this way I like.

My '07 Sport Trac and our '03 300M Special both have a delay that I could set through the on board menu from 0 to 2 minutes for the lights to remain on after the car is turned off.

Might be time to invest in a Techstream now. Would already have one to disable the DRL's had the previous owner not already taken care of that issue.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-14, 04:54 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Yeah, I'd agree that would be the BEST permanent solution.