IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best and Worst of the IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 09:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Steering is heavy in parking lot is not necessary a bad thing because it is road feedback that tells you speed is low, and lot of grip and traction available.

If you prefer light steering with less road feedback, try the all season tires that have less grip than the dedicated expensive summer tires. All season tires are generally more comfortable, quiet, and lighter on the steering wheel than good summer tires.
There are many sport sedans and sports cars that have light steering at slow speeds, but still allow steering feedback on backcountry roads. Today's modern systems should be able to adapt to all conditions at all speeds. My heavy steering in the parking lot does not even reward me with steering feedback around the twisties. It's a lose-lose bargain in this particular car.
Old 06-25-14, 10:05 PM
waiman3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best: overall sporty package
Worst: Nav's UI
Old 06-25-14, 10:27 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Batistuta
I did buy the car used but I reset it all by removing the battery. Didn't change a thing, the car is still lazy and upshifts way too early. It isn't normal to be driving in 6th gear at 40mph when the appropriate gear for that speed is either 3rd or 4th to keep it just under 2K rpm ... Also, if th ecar learns from the driver, it should learn from me. I've had it for over a month now. I don't feel it is doing that though.
Most people will cruise their manual cars in 6th at 40 mph unless they know they will be slowing down soon. The car is programmed to cruise in 6th for fuel consumption because then people will complain about that. That you seem to be telling me if that you want the car to hold off on the shifting. Does power mode hold off on shifting gears for higher rpm (I forget since I haven't driven the IS350 much in the past two years let alone use the pwr button).
Old 06-26-14, 12:39 AM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the IS overall, especially ventillated seats, but my least favorite part would be how the dash can get sticky and dust sticks on it easily.
Old 06-26-14, 04:59 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
Most people will cruise their manual cars in 6th at 40 mph unless they know they will be slowing down soon.
I am never in 6th at 40pmh whether I am cruising or not. People actually do that? lol
Old 06-26-14, 05:29 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SubieChik
I am never in 6th at 40pmh whether I am cruising or not. People actually do that? lol
The transmission of this car does that.
Old 06-26-14, 05:30 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
He said people with manual cars.
Old 06-26-14, 05:39 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SubieChik
He said people with manual cars.
Oh I see, I doubt that this is true. Most people who buy manual know what they're doing
Old 06-26-14, 09:20 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 07 250. Had it for almost a year now.
Love:
Style, RWD, color (obsidian)
Hate:
Power does not match style or rather looks like engine should be a beast. Looks like a jungle cate but acts like a domestic cat. Can't be tuned much, wheels and other aesthetic don't count much to me.
I came from a 00' si and I could change everything from cigarette lighter to stroker kit. With this it's mostly I/E/H.

Love the style like everyone else just hate the fact that I can't make it "my" car.
Old 06-26-14, 09:37 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Best-
* Beastly 1st-3rd gear, with good tires the IS350 jumps off the line like my STi doing a launch. I swear if you're not careful you might give an unsuspecting passenger whiplash.. lol. The transmission also shifts VERY fast.

* Heated AND COOLED seats, amazing when it gets hot here in Socal. No more sweaty ball sacks!

* Factory stereo system. This thing ROCKS. Sometimes sounds like it has aftermarket subs with the way it hits.

* Rear power sunshade, power telescoping wheel, auto rain sensors, illuminated door sills, headlight washers and auto fold down mirrors from the luxury package adds a real touch of class.

* Amazing factory HID's, these thing turns night into day on a nice dark road.

* Build quality, I can't speak for the earlier years but my 2011's build quality is outstanding. Everything feels so solid and very premium. No rattles yet after 23k miles.

Worst-
* The "Lexus Lean", I guess it can be fixed with adjustable coilovers but it would have been nice if it sat level from the factory.

* Stock Steering, it's not bad but it's no 3 Series for sure. My 335i sport package had amazing steering feel and confidence, the IS350 comes close with my full F-sport springs/shocks/sways in body control but it doesn't quite replicate that magical BMW steering feel.

* No downshift rev matching, unfortunately it doesn't do it. Would have made for much smoother downshifts.

* "Paddle shifters" are a joke, they act like my 3 year old toddler. Never do what I request.
Old 06-26-14, 09:54 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is good for some drivers. However, steering assist and all that are computerized and take over some of the control we can with the car. It takes out the fun driving factor. I personally like the car that is more in my control especially on the steering wheel for the road feedback.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There are many sport sedans and sports cars that have light steering at slow speeds, but still allow steering feedback on backcountry roads. Today's modern systems should be able to adapt to all conditions at all speeds. My heavy steering in the parking lot does not even reward me with steering feedback around the twisties. It's a lose-lose bargain in this particular car.
Old 06-26-14, 10:03 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice list

the 335i especially with the sport package handles damn nice. The F Sport spring/shocks/sway bar upgrade will make the IS almost comparable. However, the 3rd generation IS with F Sport package, in my opinion, actually handle on par and even better than the Bimmer. I was invited in the Lexus event to drive the Audi, Benz, BMW and the new Lexus on couple autocross. BMW sounds the best and feel the most powerful but Lexus has the best handling, hand down. The Audi sucks in all aspects lol. I also test drive the the Lexus IS350 F Sport 2014 couple times @ the dealer when they were released back in July 1, 2013. The real paddle shifting is awesome as hell and handles so nice.

I am thinking about trading in my car for the IS350 F Sport 2014 soon

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Best-
* Beastly 1st-3rd gear, with good tires the IS350 jumps off the line like my STi doing a launch. I swear if you're not careful you might give an unsuspecting passenger whiplash.. lol. The transmission also shifts VERY fast.

* Heated AND COOLED seats, amazing when it gets hot here in Socal. No more sweaty ball sacks!

* Factory stereo system. This thing ROCKS. Sometimes sounds like it has aftermarket subs with the way it hits.

* Rear power sunshade, power telescoping wheel, auto rain sensors, illuminated door sills, headlight washers and auto fold down mirrors from the luxury package adds a real touch of class.

* Amazing factory HID's, these thing turns night into day on a nice dark road.

* Build quality, I can't speak for the earlier years but my 2011's build quality is outstanding. Everything feels so solid and very premium. No rattles yet after 23k miles.

Worst-
* The "Lexus Lean", I guess it can be fixed with adjustable coilovers but it would have been nice if it sat level from the factory.

* Stock Steering, it's not bad but it's no 3 Series for sure. My 335i sport package had amazing steering feel and confidence, the IS350 comes close with my full F-sport springs/shocks/sways in body control but it doesn't quite replicate that magical BMW steering feel.

* No downshift rev matching, unfortunately it doesn't do it. Would have made for much smoother downshifts.

* "Paddle shifters" are a joke, they act like my 3 year old toddler. Never do what I request.
Old 06-26-14, 10:09 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding the issue with when the transmission shifts, if you keep it in power mode, it fixes a lot of the early up shifting issues. Almost fixes it too well where I have had times where I will let off the gas and it will keep the rpms above 4k for longer than I think it should. But that probably has a lot to do with it knowing my aggressive driving habits.
Old 06-26-14, 10:32 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by keyframe13
That is true though after 40mph depending on your pace ( if you were accelerating or cruising) then it typically shifts to 6th.

I use to do that all the time on flat roads or downhill on my s2000. I averaged 30-32 when my car was rated at 18-24. Which was the nice thing on a manual you had control of the whole car.
Old 06-27-14, 04:10 PM
KaShiDC
Rookie

Pros
Look!
Lush feel
Luminescent dash

Cons
No foldown rear seat
Trunk functionality (or lack of) too cumbersome to open and close
Dings if you shut off before placing in park
Unavailablity of manual transmission (first automatic car I have ever purchased ;(
Sometimes nothing happens, even when you really step on the gas

Quick Reply: Best and Worst of the IS