IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best and Worst of the IS

Old 06-24-14, 03:36 PM
trblmkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was "officially" totaled today so I'm searching for a replacement, HOWEVER...what I LOVED about my '07 IS 350:

Beautiful
Jumped out from underneath me when I hit the gas!
Stopped on a quarter (I'd say on a dime, but we weren't able to stop in time to avoid colliding with the car that failed to yield...there is a limit, even for great brakes!)
Reliability! (Impt b/c Hubby said I could have a Beemer, but I'd have to pay for the parts...um, no!)

What Hubby loved:
Turning off the ETC (but not when I was in the car)
Playing w/the paddles
Reliability (fewer w/e's spend working on one of "our" cars!)
Beauty

We both had mixed feelings about the NAV. I liked it--esp in unfamiliar cities. He hated that the car insisted on being in park when inputting info.
Old 06-24-14, 04:10 PM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Whoever came up with the transmission algorithm that determines when it upshifts and downshifts should be shot! When I first drove my IS, I though it had a problem.
Old 06-24-14, 05:04 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I, however, love how smooth the transmission is, smooth on the street and tough on autocross You just have to tell it what to do and it will do it.
Old 06-24-14, 05:58 PM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Still trying to understand what autocross is...
Old 06-24-14, 07:10 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Pushing your car to it's limits and dodging cones.....basically. It's quite fun!
Old 06-24-14, 07:50 PM
teaguedp90
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my biggest problem is the dashboard and upper door panels. the material goes extremely soft when its hot outside but it also gets sticky and scratches with no effort or intention at all. sometimes i'll get into my car and if i'm not super careful and keep my fingernails supershort i'll take a piece of that black material under my fingernail. the only other complaint i have about the car is the headlight washers, one of the covers came off while i was doing 80-something down the highway and the only way to replace the cover the right way is to order another cover (~$35....no big deal) and to attach it correctly to the headlight washer i would have had to buy the assembly (~$350....no bueno). and i dislike the amount of power i have with the 250 (my fault for not buying a 350 and i wish it was easier to find a six speed manual. i miss my corvette with a six speed. i love the looks of the car and how clean it washes up, i love this forum for the sense of community and the amount of people willing to lend knowledge to someone who has had the same exact questions as other people which can understandably be annoying after a while. overall i love these cars and knowing i have an online resource to help me out with it makes me feel assured that i can't go wrong with owning a lexus.
Old 06-25-14, 01:25 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Pros-
Smoothness and quietness of a V6, but still with good mpg's, smooth-shifting transmission, low wind noise at speed, comfortable driving position and armrest, convenient paddles on the wheel and manual option on the shifter, proper and traditional positioning of "+" for shifting up and "-" for shifting down, good visibility out, sleek and clean styling front to back (car has aged well), lack of gimmicky styling inside and out, higher quality paint, dealer service and treatment has been astonishing, very reliable, holding resale value very well.

Cons-
No folding rear seat, review mirror still shakes like crazy when on the freeway and sunroof/windows are open (had tsb fix, but didn't fully cure it), slow to warm up in the morning and engine sounds like crap until it does, carbon build-up/rough idle coming to a stop will be something to live with forever (no real fix), transmission automatically goes to gear 4 when put in manual mode while on the freeway, tailpipe tips are too thin, radio station display is on the wrong side of center console, clock is outdated, tachometer and speedo positions are reversed, can't see the outside temp while watching trip computer features, radio data system (rds) feature won't stay on long enough to see the artist/song, steering is heavy in parking lots, gear shifter still leaves a white powder on the plastic cover plates (since new, still no explanation of where it's coming from).

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 06-25-14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-25-14, 09:45 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah, SubieChik is right, it is just pushing your car to the limit in a safe environment. It is all about car control. Me doing it here with IS350. It is very fun.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...b-for-fun.html

Originally Posted by Batistuta
Still trying to understand what autocross is...
Old 06-25-14, 09:52 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Steering is heavy in parking lot is not necessary a bad thing because it is road feedback that tells you speed is low, and lot of grip and traction available.

If you prefer light steering with less road feedback, try the all season tires that have less grip than the dedicated expensive summer tires. All season tires are generally more comfortable, quiet, and lighter on the steering wheel than good summer tires.
Old 06-25-14, 10:10 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoever came up with the transmission algorithm that determines when it upshifts and downshifts should be shot! When I first drove my IS, I though it had a problem.
I'm assuming you bought used:

Have you done a battery reset so the car learns how You drive?
Old 06-25-14, 10:13 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The algorithm is based on the driver's driving habits. So either you very unusual driving habits that were never accounted for in the algorithm or you bought the car used and the prior driver's habits are being used.
Old 06-25-14, 10:37 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Pros-
Smoothness and quietness of a V6, but still with good mpg's, smooth-shifting transmission, low wind noise at speed, comfortable driving position and armrest, convenient paddles on the wheel and manual option on the shifter, proper and traditional positioning of "+" for shifting up and "-" for shifting down, good visibility out, sleek and clean styling front to back (car has aged well), lack of gimmicky styling inside and out, higher quality paint, dealer service and treatment has been astonishing, very reliable, holding resale value very well.

Cons-
No folding rear seat, review mirror still shakes like crazy when on the freeway and sunroof/windows are open (had tsb fix, but didn't fully cure it), carbon build-up/rough idle coming to a stop will be something to live with forever (no real fix), transmission automatically goes to gear 4 when put in manual mode while on the freeway, tailpipe tips are too thin, radio station display is on the wrong side of center console, clock is outdated, tachometer and speedo positions are reversed, can't see the outside temp while watching trip computer features, radio data system (rds) feature won't stay on long enough to see the artist/song, steering is heavy in parking lots, gear shifter still leaves a white powder on the plastic cover plates (since new, still no explanation of where it's coming from).
+1 In addition to the cons,
We do not have a real trip-tronic transmission! Argg
Old 06-25-14, 11:29 AM
Kd0t
Driver

Am I the only one who doesn't seem to care that our cars have gear limiters instead of paddle shifters? I just wish our cars had DCT

I mess with my brother's 335i F30 with real paddle shifters for less than 5 minutes and I don't use it anymore.

PROS:
Quiet and comfortable, styling of the car (although some might say it's a little girly), high resale value

CONS:
Limited performance mods, dashboard and sunroof rattle, front seats are pathetically designed
Old 06-25-14, 12:53 PM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by darkdream
The algorithm is based on the driver's driving habits. So either you very unusual driving habits that were never accounted for in the algorithm or you bought the car used and the prior driver's habits are being used.
I did buy the car used but I reset it all by removing the battery. Didn't change a thing, the car is still lazy and upshifts way too early. It isn't normal to be driving in 6th gear at 40mph when the appropriate gear for that speed is either 3rd or 4th to keep it just under 2K rpm ... Also, if th ecar learns from the driver, it should learn from me. I've had it for over a month now. I don't feel it is doing that though.
Old 06-25-14, 12:54 PM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I'm assuming you bought used:

Have you done a battery reset so the car learns how You drive?
Yep. And I know it reset because I had done some custom settings like turning off the seatbelt beep. It went back on after ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best and Worst of the IS