IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Usage of paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 04:30 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Usage of paddle shifters?

I made a YouTube video on how to use paddle shifters for the people who don't know how to use it and someone said that paddle shifters aren't supposed to be used that much. Is that true? Because I've used my paddle shifters either every day or every other day. He brought up how there's no physical clutch to change the gears unlike in manual transmission which explains the shift lag between gears. I thought it was because the IS doesn't have DCT and that's why it shifts so slowly. What's the correct answer? Thanks!
Old 06-19-14, 04:40 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a bit interested in over usage of the manual "gear shifter" (ie gear limiter) is harder on the transmission or no difference at all.

I tend to knock my shifter into manual mode when I need to slow down a bit and don't want to use the brake, or if I am coming to a stop I will sometimes downshift as I brake.

I can't see it being any harder on the car since it is all electronic and computer controlled.
Old 06-19-14, 05:06 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The paddle shifters should be called "gear limiter" because it can only limit to the highest gear you are in while the automatic transmission is still doing its normal job.

Even thought it is not true manual shifting, it does offer some benefits. I use it quite a lot in the following situation.

1. Sport mode and limit to 2nd gear in autocross. In autocross, the speed rarely exceed 60 mph so staying in 1st and 2nd gear gives me the max torque to zrrrooooom.

2. Passing cars on daily driving. I sometimes just tap on the left to "limit" the gear to a lower gear and then press on pedal. I get more torque @ higher RPM this way and then i tap the right to let it go back to 6th gear for smooth driving. I can engage the paddle shifter immediately in the normal "D" mode on my 2012 IS250 while I must put on "sport mode" on the 06 IS350.

3. Going downhill without using the brake that much. I can keep the speed constant by limit the gear to 4th. This is not recommended though because it does put some stress on transmission (running higher RPM). It is cheaper to fix the brake than the engine. However, occasional usage is fine.

4. Want to hear the exhaust and intake sound zrrroooom zrooooomm. I love the sound at 3rd and 4th gear passing 3000k RPM. It is lovely lol.
Old 06-19-14, 05:34 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely ever used the paddle shifters in my almost 8 years of ownership. The only thing I use is to downshift to pass. My ecu automatically limits the gear when going downhills, so I never need to use it for that. The lag really kills it for me. Anyways when I want to shift gears I will drive a manual transmission car. I guess it can be harder on the transmission if you don't know how the shift which can make the car very jerky (I am not sure if you can mechanically over-rev the engine).
Old 06-19-14, 06:56 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2012IS250
I made a YouTube video on how to use paddle shifters for the people who don't know how to use it and someone said that paddle shifters aren't supposed to be used that much. Is that true? Because I've used my paddle shifters either every day or every other day. He brought up how there's no physical clutch to change the gears unlike in manual transmission which explains the shift lag between gears. I thought it was because the IS doesn't have DCT and that's why it shifts so slowly. What's the correct answer? Thanks!
What exactly do you mean by a video on how to use them? One side shifts down, the other shifts up... Seems pretty straight forward.

On a side note, I like our paddle shifters much more than the BMW style. On theirs, both sides have an up and a down.
Old 06-20-14, 11:26 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Pleas link to your YouTube video so we can properly critique it.
Old 06-20-14, 11:44 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

This thread will clarify the paddle shifters that the 2IS is equipped with, which FSportIS pretty much said.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rts-shift.html

The one post on that particular thread sums it up.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
you don't shift it. Ever. That's the point.

The paddles aren't shifters.

If you're in drive. going 10 mph, in say 2nd gear, and put it in S-4, you're still in 2nd gear. Eventually as you speed up the car will automatically shift to 3, then 4, and stop there because your top gear limit is now set to 4. You never shifted it.

If you're in drive going 60, you're almost certainly in 6th... if you now move to S-4 you have told the fully automatic transmission it's no longer allowed to use 5 and 6, so it will automatically shift to 4.

If you then paddle down to 3 you're not shifting to 3, because the paddles aren't shifters. You're simply locked out 4th gear in addition to 5 and 6, and your car will then realize it's not allowed to be in the gear it's in, and then automatically shift to 3.

You never shift it. Ever.

Go test drive an IS-F in manual mode, you'll see a night and day difference as it actually has real paddle shifters that are lightning fast shifts, compared to the fully automatic ones you can sometimes convince the fully automatic transmission in the ISx50 to do. Further if you put the IS-F in say M-3, it's in 3rd. Period. It won't ever shift on its own. Put the ISx50 in S-3 and it remains a fully automatic transmission using gears 1, 2, and 3 as it feels is appropriate.
This can be confirmed by doing the same thing and clicking the DISP button till you see the Gear Position on the little display above the gauges.

The only car that have legitimate paddle shifters are in the IS F and the 3IS 350 and 350 F-Sport that have the 8-speed.
Old 06-20-14, 01:13 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

+1
Ya what everyone has said it is a gear limiter and not a shifter. Stupid Toyota transmission "paddle shifter".

To answer your question no its not bad to use them as long as you use them properly. If you use them and redline on the lower gears a lot then yes of course you are hurting all the internal components of your transmission and your engine in the long run reducing its lifetime.

But even if you use them everyday and used properly then you are fine. Regardless if it has a clutch or not its as if you have any basic AT car and shift to a lower gear or on 4 cylinders you could also use OD to downshift "Overdrive" to climb hills or have a little control of the acceleration/feel. Its the same concept with the use of the isx50 shifter.
You'll be fine.
Old 06-20-14, 01:46 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Even if they aren't the most useful, I am still glad they are there... they look cool and less informed people seem to be impressed by them.
Old 06-20-14, 02:19 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it. I use fake paddle shifters to downshift to rev to bring smexy F Sport intake and exhaust sound to my ear every day all day long
Old 06-21-14, 09:04 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by knguyenk
The only car that have legitimate paddle shifters are in the IS F and the 3IS 350 and 350 F-Sport that have the 8-speed.
Actually, all 3IS models have legitimate paddle shifters, regardless of transmission. It is a significant improvement over the 2IS automatic models, even on low end IS250 models.

Jeff
Old 06-21-14, 11:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use them when it's snowing. Or when I want to kill my mpg's...
Old 06-21-14, 11:48 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Actually, all 3IS models have legitimate paddle shifters, regardless of transmission. It is a significant improvement over the 2IS automatic models, even on low end IS250 models.

Jeff
Ooh, that I didn't know that. That is a significant improvement to the auto transmission for the 3IS. I've learned something new today.
Old 06-22-14, 11:20 AM
flattire
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if there is a way to program the 2 gen IS's to have a transmission like the 3 gen IS's.. Because the 3 IS's transmission is so much more responsive to the driver and doesn't downshift for you when you step on it.
Old 06-22-14, 11:38 AM
minato
Pole Position

^^^ do a transmission swap with the 3IS

anything is possible !!!

Quick Reply: Usage of paddle shifters?