IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulling to the Side

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 04:10 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Pulling the Trigger YES or NO

I am looking at a is350 LUX+NAV+ML, clean history, dealer serviced, no accidents from a Private Seller. After checking the car out and test driving it, I went to Northwest Lexus dealership and did a 1.5 hour 161 points inspection(for lexus CPOs). The technician said the car is good condition other than needing new rear brake pads($600...) and an alignment($125).

During the test drive, I noticed the car pulls to the right slightly if I leave the steering wheel untouched. And when I slam on the brakes, the steering wheel went 90 degrees to the left once and 90 degrees to the right on another occasion. The Lexus tech was not able to reproduce those symptoms, as the pull is slight and occurs more prominently at highway speeds. Rear pads are low, and the car is currenly on winter tires with 35% tread left.

My dad's mechanic told me that if the car still steers to the right after the 4 wheel alignment, I should stay away from the car? What do you guys think?

Last edited by jst17; 10-29-14 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-19-14, 04:26 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I say it could be the alignment but you never know.

Have them do an alignment and see what occurs

if it still pulls can be a bad tire a bad wheel or something more

also make sure when you do this you are on a flat road with no curvature
Old 06-19-14, 04:44 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 to it could be slight imperfections in the road, hence why one time it went one way and another time it went the other.

if you do the rear brakes yourself or at an independent shop, it will be much cheaper.

Maybe use it to try and talk the price down a bit. Then take the savings and pick up a new set of rims with summer tires.
Old 06-19-14, 05:27 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by getafewliv
+1 to it could be slight imperfections in the road, hence why one time it went one way and another time it went the other.

if you do the rear brakes yourself or at an independent shop, it will be much cheaper.

Maybe use it to try and talk the price down a bit. Then take the savings and pick up a new set of rims with summer tires.
I agree have the pads changed do the alignment save the cash instead of having the dealer do it have your dads friend do it and get new wheels

if one of the wheels has a bend then there's another factor into saving some money to bargain the price down.
Old 06-19-14, 05:29 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by getafewliv

I agree

instead of having the dealership do this why not have your dads friend do the rear pads if the shop is local !
Old 06-19-14, 05:35 PM
jst17
Driver

if the tire have even wear, and after the alignment it still steers to the right side. Could this mean that the car has been in an accident? Lexus said the car is structurally sound and didn't notice any signs of impact, but I was in the waiting room...maybe the technician just took the money and drank coffee for an hour and half, then checked off things on the list? XD
Old 06-19-14, 06:42 PM
jst17
Driver

got another 400 dollar off. Otherwise, seller wont adjust price if I insist on the alignment
Old 06-19-14, 06:43 PM
jst17
Driver

Default price adjustment

was asking $17,000. Now $15,200
Old 06-19-14, 06:55 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, I think you are over-thinking the situation. I haven't driven it, so I can't say for sure, but it doesn't sound like a major issue. That issue aside, it sounds like a great car at a great price.

Try driving it one more time, but on completely different roads, something newer and nicer and see if the issue still persists. When I first test drove my car, I thought it was pulling as well, but it was just the road.

Hell, my car even has a few accidents under its belt and it's still awesome. The accidents don't bother me at all because my car still drives like a Lexus and runs exceptionally well.

If it is everything you want, ie colour and features, then I say go for it!
Old 06-21-14, 10:50 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You should go ahead with the purchase, it is a great deal.

When you have the dealership in there doing the rear brake pads, have them check the calipers to ensure they're not seized up. That could cause a pulling to either side under different loads of braking.
Old 06-21-14, 12:18 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
You should go ahead with the purchase, it is a great deal.

When you have the dealership in there doing the rear brake pads, have them check the calipers to ensure they're not seized up. That could cause a pulling to either side under different loads of braking.
+1 sounds like a good deal!

Sound like the car just needs an alignment. No they can't just lie to you from the lexus dealer because if you find out that there was an accident they can be held accountable for that and legit dealers do not want or go through that route like some of those no name mom and pop shop on the side of the road, unless you sign off on the waiver.

When you accelerate or slow down as you let go of the gas and it still pulls could mean that one or more of the tires are low on air. Pulls on the right then right is low or flat and vice versa.
When you press on the brakes and it pulls only to one side, then its the brakes that have the issue.
When you press on the brakes and it pulls both right and left then it sounds like you need an alignment.
Granted you do all of this on a flat and not slanting to the curb (to accomodate rain for the run off) road.

If you can have them do it for you, you could claim "its a safety issue" and have them do the alignment and then test it again before you buy it.
Old 06-21-14, 01:35 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I say great deal, go for it. 58k for that year for that price is hard to beat. I paid 20k for a 2009 w/ 58k no ML and no LUX pkg but with all the other goodies
Old 06-21-14, 04:19 PM
jst17
Driver

pulled the trigger. thanks guys.

Does the Check Engine Light stay on forever(if the key is on and engine is off), unless you start the car, then it disappears?
Old 06-21-14, 04:24 PM
jst17
Driver

Did another 25 minutes test drive on different route today, and didnt notice any pulling, and pulled the trigger. thanks guys
Old 06-21-14, 04:27 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

that's normal for CEL to be lit with ignition in the ON position. Enjoy the car!

Quick Reply: Pulling to the Side