IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to make exhaust "pop"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 10:07 PM
flattire
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile How to make exhaust "pop"?

Right now I have a 2006 lexus is250 with m2 performance axle back and a resonator delete. Im just wondering if anyone has a set up where on downshifts their car's exhaust gives off a "poping" sound. Ive never seen an is250 or 350 shoot flames before or give that poping noise im looking for. Dose anyone know how to make this happen? Any input would be sweet. (if you have ever heard a Jaguar F type downshift you know what sound im talking about )
Old 06-18-14, 11:05 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not too sure but my brothers e93 335i and his f30 335i with Meistercraft exhaust pops ALL DAY
Just hitting 2.5k rpm and letting off the gas, it'll pop.
Old 06-18-14, 11:35 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My friend's subaru does the same. They call it exhaust backfire. Wastes a lot of gas I heard
Old 06-19-14, 12:21 AM
Boy1109
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all that POP better come equipped with HP to back it up. lol!
Old 06-19-14, 12:36 AM
sakumaxp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think what causes the pop is the way its tuned, to run rich (higher fuel ratio) then when you're on the gas fuel is being injected, then let off the unburned fuel will hit the hot exhaust and *POP* (backfire), someone please correct me if I'm wrong. also i think the pop is more prone on turbo cars, due to again the higher fuel. also i don't believe you can do it with stock exhaust.
Old 06-19-14, 05:23 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

install a 300 shot dry N2O set up and you'll hear a nice pop.
Old 06-19-14, 06:15 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

All my Subarus backfire. If the tune is off and you are constantly running rich and backfiring it could be bad and you could be wasting gas. But for the most part it just happens every once in a while and that is fine. Basically to put it simple if you give it a lot of gas and then let off really quick (usually between shifts) your dumping a lot of fuel that could otherwise be burned but it is not....it is prematurely igniting it and causing a pop and flame out the exhaust. I don't know if that makes sense...lol best way I could explain it.

Last edited by SubieChik; 06-19-14 at 08:37 AM. Reason: I'm retarded
Old 06-19-14, 06:34 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Go turbo problem solved haha..
Old 06-19-14, 06:41 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SubieChik
All my Subarus backfire. When you run lean it causes that not rich. If the tune is off and you are constantly running lean and backfiring it could be bad and you could be wasting gas. But for the most part it just happens every once in a while and that is fine. Basically to put it simple if you give it a lot of gas and then let off really quick (usually between shifts) your dumping a lot of fuel that could otherwise be burned but it is not....it is prematurely igniting it and causing a pop and flame out the exhaust. I don't know if that makes sense...lol best way I could explain it.
Do you mean the other way around?

OP
I guess the type of “pop” that you are looking is from running rich, backfire may occur for other reasons but you probably don’t want those.
When the engine is running rich, meaning that there is more fuel than air, usually when you let off the accelerator, this extra fuel is ignited by the heat of the exhaust; this is what causes the loud popping noise that sometimes comes with a quick flame.

You can try removing the CAT and running straight pipes from the headers, however it may be insanely loud, but you may be able to tune the exhaust with some mufflers.
If that doesn’t work get a Jaguar F-Type V8 or a Mercedes CLA45 AMG or maybe some turbo car with an aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by An2ny; 06-19-14 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-19-14, 07:05 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea I did....I thought I learned my lesson to not post before caffine
Old 06-19-14, 08:08 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by An2ny
Do you mean the other way around?

OP
I guess the type of “poop” that you are looking is from running rich, backfire may occur for other reasons but you probably don’t want those.
When the engine is running rich, meaning that there is more fuel than air, usually when you let off the accelerator, this extra fuel is ignited by the heat of the exhaust; this is what causes the loud popping noise that sometimes comes with a quick flame.

You can try removing the CAT and running straight pipes from the headers, however it may be insanely loud, but you may be able to tune the exhaust with some mufflers.
If that doesn’t work get a Jaguar F-Type V8 or a Mercedes CLA45 AMG or maybe some turbo car with an aftermarket exhaust.
Haha Poop.
Old 06-19-14, 08:30 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah An2ny and Saku got it correct...

Popping usually occurs when a vehicle runs too rich. Ideally what you want from a car is NO popping. You can usually expect popping from high performance cars like the Jag or turbo charged cars because they are tuned more for most reliable power out of its design but I doubt you will anything like that from a stock ISx50. Also larger injectors on stock cars can cause that as well (but there are no aftermarket injectors for the IS). An IS-F you can maybe get some popping but but our cars no unless your running a different tune (which currently doesn't exist) or turbocharged.

I think when E46m3 was running his twin turbo setup on his 250, he had that but was not very noticable
Old 06-19-14, 08:33 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL too funny. Just an “o” can change the whole sentence…
Old 06-19-14, 09:11 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Though I try not to, it is difficult to merge from where I work onto the main street. So if I goose it merging onto the main road in my IS350 when the engine is still cold, I'll get some pops out of the exhaust. It's a combo of the car cutting timing until the engine is at temp and the O2 sensors in their initial warm-up phase. On modified cars, it does have a lot to do with the tune and the mods themselves and whether the car is up to temp yet.
Old 08-16-16, 04:31 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thread resurrection but had to chime in. My is350 with Megan midpipe, resonator delete and Tsudo Axleback randomly makes some nice pops when I decelerate (usually when coming to a stop light). I'm not sure exactly how to make it do the sound, but I have noticed that's it's usually when I'm in manual mode slowing down in fourth and then dropping it into third gear or something like that. It just kind of does it when it wants too. Honestly though, I think the pop sounds cool and it's on of the reasons why I really want an ISF lol. Since the F blips the throttle on downshifts.

Quick Reply: How to make exhaust "pop"?