IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Popped Tires, Do i need to replace all 4 or just 2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 07:00 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Popped Tires, Do i need to replace all 4 or just 2?

Hi all,

I currently drive a 2008 is250 AWD. So my tire popped yesterday and to my luck i coudln't even put the spare on because my wheel lock was stripped. Aside from that I've been told that I need to change all 4 tires because its all wheel drive. I was wondering if I can just replace one tire or do I have to replace all 4 or maybe just 2? I'm not sure what the thread level is but i'll bring it to a mechanic to check. Also if I have to change one I'll just buy the same tire on amazon, but if i have to change all 4 I might go with something else. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I'm a college student so the cheaper the better!

Here's the tire I'm going to replace
Amazon.com: Continental ExtremeContact DWS All-Season Tire - 225/45R17  91W: Automotive Amazon.com: Continental ExtremeContact DWS All-Season Tire - 225/45R17 91W: Automotive

What are your views on these and are there any better or similar ones out there for a cheaper price?

Thank you in advance for all the help!
Old 06-05-14, 08:15 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

It just depends how low the trend is on your tires. If all are low, get all 4 tires.
Old 06-05-14, 08:29 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by idoke1
It just depends how low the trend is on your tires. If all are low, get all 4 tires.
So how much is consider good enough where I just need to replace one or 2?
Old 06-05-14, 08:49 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

I know that on a front wheel drive car, you should put new tires on the rear axle to avoid spinning out.
On AWD though, there is a tolerance, specified by the manufacturer, as to how much tread difference can exist btw the front and rear. Too much and you risk damage to the transfer case.

It comes down to diameter. If your fronts are worn down, and you get new rears, it will be like you are running a staggered setup of sorts. There are many threads where ppl with awd are running staggered. Perhaps check out a few to see what the tolerance is. My guess is that you want the diameters to be be exactly the same, even though the tires in the rear may be wider...
Old 06-05-14, 09:34 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by embolism
I know that on a front wheel drive car, you should put new tires on the rear axle to avoid spinning out.
On AWD though, there is a tolerance, specified by the manufacturer, as to how much tread difference can exist btw the front and rear. Too much and you risk damage to the transfer case.

It comes down to diameter. If your fronts are worn down, and you get new rears, it will be like you are running a staggered setup of sorts. There are many threads where ppl with awd are running staggered. Perhaps check out a few to see what the tolerance is. My guess is that you want the diameters to be be exactly the same, even though the tires in the rear may be wider...
AWD is a square setup so width of the tires isn't a real concern unless the OP was running staggered.

In my experience working with other vehicles, the rule of thumb is often to replace the tire that is on the axle of the tire that is blown out (e.g. if the left rear is blown out, then the rear axle tires are to be replaced). However, using the penny test (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=51) you can quickly determine if all four tires are to be replaced.

You never want to replace just one because the newer tire will have a larger diameter than the one on the other side and can affect the alignment (e.g. car pulling towards the side with the older tire, b/c of the smaller diameter).
Old 06-05-14, 10:45 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by embolism

Ok so what exactly is staggered?
Old 06-05-14, 10:46 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by knguyenk
AWD is a square setup so width of the tires isn't a real concern unless the OP was running staggered.

In my experience working with other vehicles, the rule of thumb is often to replace the tire that is on the axle of the tire that is blown out (e.g. if the left rear is blown out, then the rear axle tires are to be replaced). However, using the penny test (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=51) you can quickly determine if all four tires are to be replaced.

You never want to replace just one because the newer tire will have a larger diameter than the one on the other side and can affect the alignment (e.g. car pulling towards the side with the older tire, b/c of the smaller diameter).
If i replace 2 does it have to be the same model as the other 2?
Old 06-05-14, 11:00 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

There's a lot of smoke and mirrors about replacing tires on AWD cars. Unless your tires are completely bald (in which case you would be replacing all 4 anyway) you can just replace 2. That's what differentials and viscous couplings are for. You'll see all sorts of theoretical arguments about wheel rotation per mile etc, but nobody has ever shown that any damage actually occurs because of all these theoretical considerations.

You don't have to replace the tires with the same brand and model but its generally a good idea, as different tires on front and rear can cause braking and handling anomalies. Just don't put different tires on the same axle.
Old 06-05-14, 11:01 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by sktn77a
There's a lot of smoke and mirrors about replacing tires on AWD cars. Unless your tires are completely bald (in which case you would be replacing all 4 anyway) you can just replace 2. That's what differentials and viscous couplings are for. You'll see all sorts of theoretical arguments about wheel rotation per mile etc, but nobody has ever shown that any damage actually occurs because of all these theoretical considerations.
Great news, thanks! also is it taboo to buy used tired with 80% or more thread left?
Old 06-05-14, 11:39 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

only if they are winter tires, b/c older rubber in a winter doesn't perform as well as newer rubber, tread depth being equal

I'm running different front and rear tires cause I nicked one tire bad enough and had to replace the pair. I did look for used tires so I could eventually replace all 4 at the same time but couldn't find my size.

If you are going used, why not look for the same tire that you blew and just replace the one? It's asking a lot to find the same used tire with approx wear as your other side, but I'm sure it's possible.
Old 06-05-14, 11:54 AM
Allan1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Better get 2 new sets.
Old 06-05-14, 12:07 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

you can get away with replacing just that one if you are able to find a used replacement with the same amount of tread as your other "good" 3. the replacement tire has the be the same brand and model of course. you can find a used replacement on Ebay. a tread depth gauge would be helpful but if you don't have one you can just use your eye to get a good idea of how much tread your good 3 have and from there find a matching used replacement.
the DWS is a great tire. in fact I have a pair for the rear on my IS350. if you decide to replace them in pairs, then just as long as each axle has a matching set, you should be fine.
Old 06-05-14, 12:08 PM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by 90mx83
you can get away with replacing just that one if you are able to find a used replacement with the same amount of tread as your other "good" 3. the replacement tire has the be the same brand and model of course. you can find a used replacement on Ebay. a tread depth gauge would be helpful but if you don't have one you can just use your eye to get a good idea of how much tread your good 3 have and from there find a matching used replacement.
the DWS is a great tire. in fact I have a pair for the rear on my IS350. if you decide to replace them in pairs, then just as long as each axle has a matching set, you should be fine.
Thanks for reassuring me, I'll have someone check my threads soon
Old 06-05-14, 12:17 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Np. and its tread, not threads.
Old 06-05-14, 01:17 PM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by 90mx83
Np. and its tread, not threads.
Haha thanks, i wont make that mistake again. Also what tire size fits my car, I know i'm currently 225/45R17 91W, do i have to get tires at that size?

Quick Reply: Popped Tires, Do i need to replace all 4 or just 2?