IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Autocrossing with IS350 with Porsche club for fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-14, 11:25 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Autocrossing with IS350 with Porsche club for fun

I did an autocross with the Porsche club last month on May 4th, 2014 for the first time. I had so much fun driving hard on the IS as well as learning so much more about driving at the limit in a safe environment. Most of the Porsche members have years of autocross/track experience and some of them even compete in national level. I learned a lot about different race set up, racing lines, maximizing tire traction, smooth driving, weight transfer, squeezing the brake, slow in fast out, monitoring the tire pressure and what not. Overall, it was fun as hell.

It started early in the morning, everyone went through the tech inspection with their cars, then we had a meeting about some rules and work assignment. They also assign one instruction to each newcomer. Next, we walk the course and then we autocross. They had 5 or 6 groups. There will always be 3 groups on the grid running while 1 group will work. Everyone has 3 sessions: 2 practice and 1 final. Each session consists of 4 runs so total of 12 runs for the entire day. All runs are timed. Every run was a blast lol.

I saw bunch of Porsche including the 911 Turbo S, couple BMW (M3, 335i), Sti, Evo, Honda S2k, Ferrari, Corvette, Mustang, Miata but only 2 lexus (IS300 and mine IS350).

I love the IS350 so much more after this event. This car is so much fun to drive especially with the F Sport suspension (springs/shocks/sway bar) upgrade.

Anyways, here are the pictures and video:

Autocross map:

Me in my IS350
IMG_6542 by Mike Knudsen Photography, on Flickr

The IS300 guy recorded the video and this guy drove very fast lol. I'm not sure if he is on this forum.

Last edited by FSportIS; 03-25-15 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-04-14, 11:56 AM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...who was the fastest?
Old 06-04-14, 12:03 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I believe it was the modded Corvette on racing tire driven by a pro and he is usually the fastest in many of these events.
Old 06-04-14, 07:03 PM
gdinero
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks awesome, I want in! Any Texas events???
Old 06-04-14, 07:46 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like fun. How much does it cost? And where in CA do they have events like these at? I go to Thunderhill track in Willows and it cost about $200/event.
Old 06-04-14, 08:18 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a pretty impressive autocross track. Most of the autocrosses around here are a big circle around a parking lot. Compared to real track days they are just not as fun due to the very small course with sub 60 sec lap times. If we had an autocross track like that I think they would be way more fun. Glad you got out and pushed your IS a bit. So much fun.
Old 06-04-14, 08:20 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, and thats a pretty sweet course. Looking forward to my first auto-x on 7/13 with BMWSCCA. Any tips for first timers?
Old 06-04-14, 08:54 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

This looks like fun. I've always wanted to track my car. Another member recommended brakes be checked often and good tires. How did you do on the track?
Old 06-05-14, 09:23 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Your picture from your PCA autox event looks strikingly similiar to mine from my PCA autox experience.
Attached Thumbnails Autocrossing with IS350 with Porsche club for fun-6202108104_9c6615dd56_o.jpg  
Old 06-05-14, 09:35 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I believe there is a Porsche club in Texas too and they also do autocross. Refer to this website.
http://www.lsrpca.com/autocross_new.htm

Originally Posted by gdinero
That looks awesome, I want in! Any Texas events???
Old 06-05-14, 09:40 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

It costs me $85 to register or $65 if you have a Porsche and a member of them. They also let you borrow helmet for free but I bought one thinking I will autocrossing a lot anyways. This is in Irvine organized by Porsche club. They run this on a monthly basis. Here are their calendar. They are very nice people and welcome non-Porsche members to join for fun too.

http://www.pcaocr.com/?page=1&cats=1

Originally Posted by smokyis350
That looks like fun. How much does it cost? And where in CA do they have events like these at? I go to Thunderhill track in Willows and it cost about $200/event.
Old 06-05-14, 10:01 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yeah, this area is pretty big and it is not a parking lot so there is no lighting pole that might get into the way. This seems to me like an empty airfield.

Yeah, the IS is so damn fun to drive. With this F Sport springs/shocks/rear sway bar, this car prone to oversteer when I pushed it hard with trail breaking and feeling the g force in corner is just amazing. The traction control keeps beeping at me sometimes when the car oversteers. But damn, the IS350 is so powerful in 1st and 2nd gear, it just zroooooommmmm 0-40 almost instantly.

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
That is a pretty impressive autocross track. Most of the autocrosses around here are a big circle around a parking lot. Compared to real track days they are just not as fun due to the very small course with sub 60 sec lap times. If we had an autocross track like that I think they would be way more fun. Glad you got out and pushed your IS a bit. So much fun.
Old 06-05-14, 10:13 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Here are some big tips I learn from others and my own experience:
1. Look way ahead and try to memorize the course and drive in your head. You need to know WHERE you are going before you can go fast. The car goes where your eyes see. This is by far has the BIGGEST impact on your lap time. Trust me on this!

2. SLOW in fast out. You get to slow down in tight corners so you can turn because our tires have a limit. You can't go full throttle and turn in tight corner at the same time. If you do so, you will spin out easily.

3. Get most of your braking done in a straight line so your car is much much more balanced when you turn. You need to BRAKE. Lot of new comers have problem with this.

4. Squeeze the brake by progressively giving it more force. Do not slam your brake or else you will spin out.

5. If you drive the IS in autocross, put it in sport mode and limit your gear to 2nd.

There are other techniques I discover along the ways but if you can master the 4 tips above especially #1, you will improve a lot.

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Nice, and thats a pretty sweet course. Looking forward to my first auto-x on 7/13 with BMWSCCA. Any tips for first timers?
Old 06-05-14, 10:24 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Yes that is right. In many autocross event, they almost always inspect your car over several items such as brake, tires, different fluids (to make sure no leaking) and make sure all the items are secure and not loose before they let you run.

The IS did not have a class to compare to in the Porsche event so I really don't know where I am standing. They put all the non-Porsche cars in a X class and it could be silly to have a Ferrari on racing tire competing with this IS lol.

I focus more on having fun and drive the IS at the limit as much as I can do. I did a lot of trial and errors on lots of different techniques to see what works and what does not.

Originally Posted by idoke1
This looks like fun. I've always wanted to track my car. Another member recommended brakes be checked often and good tires. How did you do on the track?
Old 06-05-14, 10:29 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Wow, indeed, it looks amazingly similar. Also, look at how surprisingly balanced both the IS even with speed lol.

Wow looking at your stats, you have awesome suspension upgrades. Damn, your car bulid is one of the best handling IS out there . How many times have you run with them and how is your car comparing to others especially the Porsche in the event? I have to admit those Porsche are fast in autocross.

Originally Posted by redspencer
Your picture from your PCA autox event looks strikingly similiar to mine from my PCA autox experience.

Last edited by FSportIS; 06-05-14 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing with IS350 with Porsche club for fun