IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Autocrossing with IS350 with Porsche club for fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 12:50 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Except for yours looks better FSportIS...due to SGM.
Old 06-05-14, 01:45 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Wow, indeed, it looks amazingly similar. Also, look at how surprisingly balanced both the IS even with speed lol.

Wow looking at your stats, you have awesome suspension upgrades. Damn, your car bulid is one of the best handling IS out there . How many times have you run with them and how is your car comparing to others especially the Porsche in the event? I have to admit those Porsche are fast in autocross.
I've participated with the PCA AutoX once and that was prior to my LSD upgrade. The Porsches at the event I went to were the usual mixed bag of Boxsters, Caymans, 911s, and a few GT3s. We also had a couple of non-Porsches in the event including an E46 M3, several miatas/S2000s, and a GT-R that was driven by (who I heard) was the current #1 ranked autocrosser in Florida at the time.

Needless to say, the guy in the GT-R outperformed everyone and the GT3s took the other top finishes that day. My IS350 and I (with the full F-Sport suspension system) fared pretty well with the group of Porsches and I was within the same time of the driver in the E46 M3. That event was also my realization as to what the IS really needed to sustain momentum around the corners like the M3 and it was a limited slip differential...

Originally Posted by Gville350
But mine has a cool shark fin antenna.
Old 06-05-14, 02:30 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You must be experienced autocrosser. I was slower than most of the Porsche. The group that run the Porsche have years of experience with competitive autocrossing and they were running on nice sticky tires too while I am more like a newbie comparing to them. They were all fast particularly the 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S. However, the modded Corvette on racing tires dominated the event and I heard that he usually finish top 3 in all these events.

You have shark fin antenna but I have ClubLexus decal. Bring it on
Old 06-05-14, 02:36 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Hell yeah, this color rocks. It is actually Blue Onyx Pearl though which looks similar to SGM in a way lol. This car, however, is so hard to keep clean comparing to my other white IS250. How do you keep this clean

Old 06-05-14, 03:49 PM
redspencer
OG Member

You must be experienced autocrosser. I was slower than most of the Porsche. The group that run the Porsche have years of experience with competitive autocrossing and they were running on nice sticky tires too while I am more like a newbie comparing to them.
Honestly, most of my track knowledge and experience came from these two sources:

and

Old 06-05-14, 03:58 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Wow, guess what!!! I read the book from the same author Ross Bentley. Are these two books any different?
Ultimate Speed Secrets: The Complete Guide to High-Performance and Race Driving: Ross Bentley: 9780760340509: Amazon.com: Books Ultimate Speed Secrets: The Complete Guide to High-Performance and Race Driving: Ross Bentley: 9780760340509: Amazon.com: Books

However, I did that after the autocross event. If i were to apply those concepts, I could have probably done so much better.

I have read through half the book and it has already been helping me tremendously. I knew the mistakes I made in previous autocrosses and the steps needed for improvement. I see gradual improvement especially in race simulation such as Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 with a steering wheels. I improved tremendously (~30 seconds to 1 minute) on Nurburgring track on the same car on the same race.

Anyone here also play Gran Turismo 5??
Old 06-05-14, 08:17 PM
Gville350

Blue onyx? Couldn't even tell. LOL!
Old 06-07-14, 08:06 PM
gdinero
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is a Porsche club in Texas too and they also do autocross. Refer to this website.
http://www.lsrpca.com/autocross_new.htm
Thank you!
Old 06-09-14, 11:35 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Haha, btw, saw another thread from you, you do good in your drag race. What is your range of time (slowest - fastest) in those 1/8 mile throughout your many drags

Blue onyx? Couldn't even tell. LOL!
Old 06-09-14, 12:21 PM
Gville350

Haha, btw, saw another thread from you, you do good in your drag race. What is your range of time (slowest - fastest) in those 1/8 mile throughout your many drags
On the same 1/8th mile track, ranges from 10.2 to 7.9...all in the same Honda Civic. 10.2 in mostly stock gutted Civic VX chassis, and then the 7.9 with BFG drag radials with boost (400whp). I miss kicking Corvette/Mustang *** at the track.
Old 06-09-14, 01:07 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Wow 7.9 damnnnn, you can kick some muscles car there with that Civic lol. So you ran with both the Civic and IS on that same track too? What is the time range for a stock IS you ran, and time range with a IS on some mods?
Old 06-09-14, 06:18 PM
Gville350

Yeah, my favorite ***-kicking was some douche in a Z06 Vette; talking trash about imports and such...you know, the usual. Then I called him out; and though he had me for the bulk of the pass, my turbo pushed me passed him right where it counted. He literally left right after that pass and didn't return that night!

Yeah, I've ran 99% of my passes at the same 1/8th mile track.

I've only ran the 350 with an intake (which is to this day the only "performance" mod on the Lex). So the times range from 9.5s to the 8.6 pass; the times vary so much due to the outside temps and the # of passes I make in a night. Difficult to make a good pass when 90 degrees outside.

Just a little taste of my 'lil fast hatch :

Wheel spin on dyno -

60-100 roll -

Last edited by Gville350; 06-09-14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 05:29 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Yeah, my favorite ***-kicking was some douche in a Z06 Vette; talking trash about imports and such...you know, the usual. Then I called him out; and though he had me for the bulk of the pass, my turbo pushed me passed him right where it counted. He literally left right after that pass and didn't return that night!
Reading this made my morning.
Old 06-10-14, 08:34 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah I always love it when I am at the track the the 1983 civic that looks like it got ran over by a monster truck is running circles around my IS350. Always a confidence booster! When they are set up correctly they are dam quick.
Old 06-10-14, 09:25 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

LoL, good to hear this, kick his azz and shut his mouth trash talking Essentially every car has potential, a Vette is fast but underestimating other cars especially modded ones is pure stupidity.

Also, I don't understand why some people and also a lot of critics don't give much credit and even bash imports particularly Lexus. On many car review sites or blogs, I almost always see BMW being the best handling machine, powerful and blah blah blah while the IS is weak source. Even worse, the IS is just overpriced Toyota sedan lol. Some are uninformed to the point they thought it is a 4 cylinder car that is as slow as a Prius.

I'm glad Lexus head toward the performance path by creating super car LFA and developing the RCF. Lexus also proved these two platforms on real world track such as Nurburgring and Fuji and even won some races. I hope this will change the general perception that Lexus in fact does have high performance cars. In a broader spectrum, it should give imports a better name lol

Quick Reply: Autocrossing with IS350 with Porsche club for fun