IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 IS350 AWD highway speed vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 01:19 PM
bmaez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 IS350 AWD highway speed vibration

Could you guys check to see if your passenger seat vibrates like this at highway speeds?

I've noticed my passenger seat vibrating awhile back but never really paid too much attention until I started taking weekly trips to Tucson from Phoenix. Now my butt falls asleep and I think I'm developing some lower back problems. I added some car history and have video taken on I10 coming back from Tucson headed to Phoenix but can't seem to upload so if interested please PM with an email address.

I bought the car to replace a Mazda 3 because I wanted a more comfortable ride. Within the year I noticed some clunking in the front of the car which turned out to be a front shock. I brought the car into Firestone for an alignment because Lexus didn't have record of an alignment being done at the shock replacement. We relocated from Tennessee to Arizona. My wife drove the car while I drove the truck and she had no complaints. All four tires have been replaced within 6 months with Continental DWS.

Since moving here in Sept last year I've been driving the car to work everyday for 30 minutes a day with most of my driving done on the local freeway....AZ 202 and I've taken it in for tire balancing at least twice as often as the manufacturer recommends because of steering wheel vibs.
Old 06-02-14, 06:54 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Vibrations at highways speeds are not normal. I had a similar problem with another car. Some places just don't know how to properly balance a tire. Find a reputable tire shop with good reviews and have them do the following:

1. Inspect all 4 tires and wheels, and make sure neither is out of round
2. Remove existing wheel weights and rebalance using road force
3. Inspect suspension for damage
4. Align to factory spec and share your results here

Good luck
Old 06-03-14, 05:43 AM
lancematic
Driver School Candidate

How any miles are on the car? I have 150K and I have the exact same problem, but I can sometimes get it to stop by hitting the brakes then returning to speed (approx 80mph). I am fairly confident it is either the fact that I am lowered on F-Sport springs with original shocks, differential needs servicing, or a slightly bent rim. I have had multiple sets of tires, wheels re-balanced, and multiple alignments with no change.

Not enough to warrant me to get it fixed right now, but it is a minor annoyance. Let us know if you find the cause of your vibration.
Old 06-03-14, 09:32 PM
bmaez
Driver

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
Vibrations at highways speeds are not normal. I had a similar problem with another car. Some places just don't know how to properly balance a tire. Find a reputable tire shop with good reviews and have them do the following:

1. Inspect all 4 tires and wheels, and make sure neither is out of round
2. Remove existing wheel weights and rebalance using road force
3. Inspect suspension for damage
4. Align to factory spec and share your results here

Good luck
Appreciate it...I'll get the tires rebalanced. This set has only been through Discount Tire but my previous set have seen both Firestone and Lexus.
Old 06-03-14, 09:34 PM
bmaez
Driver

Originally Posted by lancematic
How any miles are on the car? I have 150K and I have the exact same problem, but I can sometimes get it to stop by hitting the brakes then returning to speed (approx 80mph). I am fairly confident it is either the fact that I am lowered on F-Sport springs with original shocks, differential needs servicing, or a slightly bent rim. I have had multiple sets of tires, wheels re-balanced, and multiple alignments with no change.

Not enough to warrant me to get it fixed right now, but it is a minor annoyance. Let us know if you find the cause of your vibration.

I have almost 37,000 miles. I'll see what I can find out and share but you sound like you may have some brake component issues.

Thanks,
Old 06-04-14, 04:11 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bmaez
Appreciate it...I'll get the tires rebalanced. This set has only been through Discount Tire but my previous set have seen both Firestone and Lexus.
While they are re-balancing, also have them check that none of the rims is bent, especially if you remember hitting a bad pothole or curb. I've seen bent rims that can be balanced to a 0.0 on the tire balance machine, but still cause vibration at high speeds.
Old 06-04-14, 05:59 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was the vibration there before you got new tires?
Old 06-04-14, 10:16 AM
Kd0t
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
While they are re-balancing, also have them check that none of the rims is bent, especially if you remember hitting a bad pothole or curb. I've seen bent rims that can be balanced to a 0.0 on the tire balance machine, but still cause vibration at high speeds.
Yup, chances are a wheel is slightly bent. Happened to me on my old car.. Had it balanced numerous times and finally occurred to me. Good luck!!