IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine swap! Is350

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 10:06 AM
itsivan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap! Is350

so the engine on my car is no good and nobody wants to rebuild it they say our engines have too many problems! I have a 2007 is350 I've been looking for an engine all over found one from a gs450h 2008 they said all I need to do is swap the exhaust manifold and switch flywheel. I just don't know how an electric engine going to work out will I lose or gain hp??
Old 05-28-14, 10:23 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

What happened to your engine?

1) IS350's engines dont have problems, really. IS250's have carbon build up issues (on some, not all).

2) Engine swap isnt very easy... at all. It's more worth your time to get another 350 engine (unless you can find someone willing to fix yours, depending on how bad it is).
Old 05-28-14, 10:30 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If engine swap is a must, it will cost you a fortune, you should better buy another used car instead. I don't see severe engine problem with IS350. What really happens to your car? Is it accident? Lack of maintenance and what not??
Old 05-28-14, 10:37 AM
itsivan
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
What happened to your engine?

1) IS350's engines dont have problems, really. IS250's have carbon build up issues (on some, not all).

2) Engine swap isnt very easy... at all. It's more worth your time to get another 350 engine (unless you can find someone willing to fix yours, depending on how bad it is).
Heyarms, sadly I blew my engine on my car out of nowhere the car is not drivable rattles no power coming out of it shuts off while driving mechanic said it's timing problem after changing some sensors had a cylinder misfire and other I canot remember! After they got changed still no power coming out and it sounds like crap! He recommended to just get a new engine! I've been feeling horsepower loss for a while. Car just doesent move at all right now.I'm in need of a replacement and I'm having trouble finding a motor for a good price. Does anyone know if I can cross the gs350 or gs450h..... Motor over to make a match. I'd assume I'd get a lighter price on a gs motor vs the is due to the fact that the gs350 was the entry model trim for a good 5 years. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-28-14, 10:39 AM
itsivan
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
If engine swap is a must, it will cost you a fortune, you should better buy another used car instead. I don't see severe engine problem with IS350. What really happens to your car? Is it accident? Lack of maintenance and what not??
I took care of the car good maintained wise! Only drove like a maniac but that's what a car is for!
Old 05-28-14, 10:43 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

You need an IS350 engine (2GR-FSE V6) in order for a swap to be plug and play. The GS350 uses the same engine, but you would have to swap your stock engine ECU to it (might require re-pinning?), as the ECU works with other functions throughout the car (and GS and IS are different). This is my understanding at least.

Whats further background on the engine problems though? How many miles? what was first symptoms and first "fix"? What sensors were changed? Dealer ever looked at it, or another shop than your regular place?
Old 05-28-14, 10:46 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by itsivan
Heyarms, sadly I blew my engine on my car out of nowhere the car is not drivable rattles no power coming out of it shuts off while driving mechanic said it's timing problem after changing some sensors had a cylinder misfire and other I canot remember! After they got changed still no power coming out and it sounds like crap! He recommended to just get a new engine! I've been feeling horsepower loss for a while. Car just doesent move at all right now.I'm in need of a replacement and I'm having trouble finding a motor for a good price. Does anyone know if I can cross the gs350 or gs450h..... Motor over to make a match. I'd assume I'd get a lighter price on a gs motor vs the is due to the fact that the gs350 was the entry model trim for a good 5 years. Any input would be greatly appreciated
gs350 uses the same engine as is350. I'm not sure about bolt on hardwares, and the gs450h engine even if it's a direct swap, the gs450h engine weight probably is heavier (front to back) than stock is350.
Old 05-28-14, 10:49 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Isf engine swap. Do it do it do it
Or 2jz
Old 05-28-14, 10:51 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Something smells fishy and this sounds like one of those times where it may be worth while to take it to a reputable dealer and pay for a proper diagnosis.
Old 05-28-14, 10:52 AM
itsivan
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
You need an IS350 engine (2GR-FSE V6) in order for a swap to be plug and play. The GS350 uses the same engine, but you would have to swap your stock engine ECU to it (might require re-pinning?), as the ECU works with other functions throughout the car (and GS and IS are different). This is my understanding at least.

Whats further background on the engine problems though? How many miles? what was first symptoms and first "fix"? What sensors were changed? Dealer ever looked at it, or another shop than your regular place?
Car is 07 98k miles driving regular check engine vsc and traction off came on heard a knocking noise! I started driving towards my mechanic in 2 miles started rattling and making noise after no power came out would not pass 3k rpm . Here's a video of the problem while driving and a start up too I just uploaded to my YouTube Chanel
Old 05-28-14, 11:00 AM
itsivan
Driver

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Isf engine swap. Do it do it do it
Or 2jz
Would be awesome but so much work and money
Old 05-28-14, 11:34 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you get the valve spring and cam gear recalls done?

Before you go to the expense of just getting a new engine, you need to take it to a dealer for another opinion.

There is a recall out there for the cam gear rattle that can cause an engine bolt to loosen and get caught up in the engine valves, causing massive engine damage.
Old 05-28-14, 11:46 AM
itsivan
Driver

Originally Posted by embolism
did you get the valve spring and cam gear recalls done?

Before you go to the expense of just getting a new engine, you need to take it to a dealer for another opinion.

There is a recall out there for the cam gear rattle that can cause an engine bolt to loosen and get caught up in the engine valves, causing massive engine damage.
Didn't look into that but I just found a rebuilder that charges 3300 to rebuild it i think it's my best bet eather way I need some better answers why this happened not just buy another engine
Old 05-28-14, 11:57 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Honestly, you need to take embolism's advice and still think about visting a Lexus dealership. The IS350 has had two engine-related recalls that COULD cause your problem :

1)Valve spring recall - from what I remember the springs could fatigue and break, causing you to drop a valve and lose compression in that cylinder and create quite the noise
2)VVT cam gear recall - recent recall where bolts in the cam gear can back out over time and could be what you're hearing rattling around behind the timing cover. That loose bolt will cause havok to the timing of the vehicle and cause devitation on the motor

What is your VIN code so I can help you pull your previous Lexus service history?
Old 05-28-14, 12:25 PM
DKIS350
Rookie

Id go with getting a second opinion. To throw a few parts at it and say you need an engine with little backing it doesnt seem right. What kind of codes are coming up with this issue?

Is that video the first time this issue happened? If it runs fine sometimes and then suddenly quits, theres more to it than just being a bad engine, and may not be the engine at all.

I had a customer come in with a car that would randomly do something similar (or so it seems with out knowing all the history of your vehicle). He thought he needed a new engine by the time he brought it to me, ended up being a plugged cat that only restricted the exhaust when it got hot enough. Didnt take my tech long to figure out, but this was after my customer himself already wasted money on new MAF sensor and coil packs that he didnt need.

Quick Reply: Engine swap! Is350