IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

...had the car 3 days and....

Old 05-23-14, 08:19 PM
dsigs83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...had the car 3 days and....

picked up my 08 is250 3 days ago. fully loaded, navy, BT, everything. knew i should have done a little more research which is 100% my fault but...

back tires were low, needed new ones in 6+ months, wrong. back right had a nail, needed 2 asap.

DTL worked, never thought about the HID bulbs (which this model has). went to work at 5am today and all the lights worked except the drivers side HID. went to get 1, turns out its the ballast. tried pulling it out, realized you need to pull the entire damn bumper off.

everything works great except the back brake pads are pretty much gone but the front pads are brand new. need new pads in the back. never felt anything, car stops on a dime...

went to tire kingdom for an oil change.

had the car blacked out, 5% all over. i LOVE this car, its absolutely beautiful. i get comment after comment about how sexy it is. what other items can go wrong... battery is good, front tires are new... ugh so frustrating yet every time i look at the car i feel like its worth it.

Old 05-23-14, 08:25 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Tires and brakes are regularl maintenance. The ballast does suck to replace but its not that common for it to fail. Just make sure you keep the engine in tip top condition. Is250 engines are prone to carbon buildup. I'm curious on the miles you have?
Old 05-23-14, 08:26 PM
dsigs83
Driver School Candidate

anyone know what ballast i need? not the best idea but im sure theyre stock, an old guy owned it before me.

Old 05-23-14, 08:28 PM
dsigs83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by idoke1
Tires and brakes are regularl maintenance. The ballast does suck to replace but its not that common for it to fail. Just make sure you keep the engine in tip top condition. Is250 engines are prone to carbon buildup. I'm curious on the miles you have?
i had tire kingdom run a test on a bunch of crap. everything came back perfect/good.

not sure what carbon buildup is. almost 69k miles. any help is appreciated !!
Old 05-23-14, 08:31 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont worry, its regular mainteance. Stuff happens.

Just picked up a Black 2007 Is250. Tint allround, love the look. When I bought it, I had to replace the front pads/rotors, front tires. Going to replace the spark plugs (I am at 61k miles) and I have engine light for Oxygen A/F sensor but I love the look of the Is250!!
Old 05-23-14, 08:35 PM
dsigs83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is250916
Dont worry, its regular mainteance. Stuff happens.

Just picked up a Black 2007 Is250. Tint allround, love the look. When I bought it, I had to replace the front pads/rotors, front tires. Going to replace the spark plugs (I am at 61k miles) and I have engine light for Oxygen A/F sensor but I love the look of the Is250!!
dont you have to remove the entire engine to get to the spark plugs? i havent really had a car i loved this much since my 00 camaro SS back in 2004. that car was in the shop almost monthly.

it did run low 13s factory. but the stress wasnt worth it. i REALLY hope this car doesnt pull the same crap!!

anyone know EXACTLY which ballast to buy and good pads? im gonna overnight it to myself and the guy i bought it from (a higher end dealer) his mechanic is gonna install it all free of charge (and reimburse me for hte ballast)
Old 05-23-14, 09:04 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dsigs83
dont you have to remove the entire engine to get to the spark plugs? i havent really had a car i loved this much since my 00 camaro SS back in 2004. that car was in the shop almost monthly.

it did run low 13s factory. but the stress wasnt worth it. i REALLY hope this car doesnt pull the same crap!!

anyone know EXACTLY which ballast to buy and good pads? im gonna overnight it to myself and the guy i bought it from (a higher end dealer) his mechanic is gonna install it all free of charge (and reimburse me for hte ballast)
The passenger side spark plugs are so easy to get too and replace. The driver side is a bit different as you have to remove the air surge tank to access the spark plugs on that side.

Heres a DIY:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...necessity.html
Old 05-23-14, 10:15 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't had any problems with mine yet but I have the same color. Great looking car!
Old 05-24-14, 01:53 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Welcome.

I know the feeling. Still remember washing the car every single weekend for 2 months after I brought her home.
Old 05-24-14, 05:26 AM
dsigs83
Driver School Candidate

Called Lexus. They won't sell it separate. Only with the headlight. $1250. What the ***....

I found a few on eBay byt none will let me overnight. I need it now.
Old 05-24-14, 05:29 AM
dsigs83
Driver School Candidate

And they said pads for the rear brakes are $80. Not sure what pads I should get or what a good price is????
Old 05-24-14, 05:07 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

And they said pads for the rear brakes are $80. Not sure what pads I should get or what a good price is????
If you're going to get new pads, might as well check the rotor too. The is rotors, some members say you can't resurface, other contributing members say you can. If it looks pretty thing get a new setup. There's plenty of trusted online vendors or if you're in so cal, there's a shop in the OC for blank, slotted or cross drilled rotors with pads for about 2 bills for front and back. Swap out the pads for some green stuff brake pads and you're good.
Old 05-25-14, 08:11 PM
dsigs83
Driver School Candidate

so i got bored and swapped the working bulb and the non working bulb. the drivers side was busted. not the ballast. love how people give advice yet know nothing.
Old 05-25-14, 08:22 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

If you haven't replaced the rear pads yet, get Akebono ceramic pads. They are fairly cheap and last forever. Akebono ceramic pads use to come stock on Toyota Camry's as front pads and I have seen people get close to 200K on them (usually 120K). I have a feeling they are the OE supplier for the dust free front pads on the IS as well.
Old 05-28-14, 11:14 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

so i got bored and swapped the working bulb and the non working bulb. the drivers side was busted. not the ballast. love how people give advice yet know nothing.
Love how people give advice but know nothing? I just re-read your first post, you stated it WAS the ballast that was the problem? If you're going to criticize the people who are providing the advice, gotta make sure you're giving the right issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ...had the car 3 days and....