IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting rid of the sooty stuff round the tail pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-14, 08:08 AM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting rid of the sooty stuff round the tail pipes

Regular car soap doesn't seem to shift the sooty build up round the tail pipes on my IS250c.

Windex vinegar does. Couple of squirts and it wipes off. It also takes the soot off the chrome ends, bit of polish and my almost flawless Lex is back to its former glory.

Only **** Lex cleaners like me will appreciate this;-)

Machog
Old 04-26-14, 12:01 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This buildup is common on all vehicles.

Exhaust tips should be polished and sealed as a part of a quality detailing routine.

All it takes is a little bit of metal polish like Chemical Guys Metal Polish + Protection or Optimum Metal Polish on a black all purpose microfiber towel to make them look great again.

Simply apply a small amount to the towel and work the polish vigorously over a small area, then wipe clean with another towel and repeat until the entire tip has been polished. If you've allowed the buildup to accumulate over a long period of time, you may require #0000 ultra fine steel wool, but it is always a best practice to begin with the least aggressive method (ie a microfiber towel) first.

Once the tips have been polished, it is a great idea to seal the to make routine cleaning much easier in between polishing. The previously mentioned Chemical Guys Metal Polish + Protection is a polish and sealant in one, therefore it accomplishes both steps at once. You may also use a dedicated metal wax like Collinite 850, or the more durable option of a ceramic coating like 22ple VM1 Rim & Metal Coating.

Be sure to check out the Club Lexus Detailing Sub-Forum for more detailing product recommendations and tips.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

-Zach