IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

In progress iPad Air dash mod

Old 04-23-14, 06:37 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's awesome that you went for it. I started watching re of their web show and the shop is talented and FUNNY!! It's looking pretty sweet as of now!
Old 04-23-14, 09:21 AM
djbuddha
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I'm very happy that I found the right guys out there to do it.

If you're interested in doing an iPad install like this, hit up Rafa. PM me for contact info. He's been doing iPads for I think about 5 years? (As long as SoundMan has been specializing in them).

I'll post more pics as I get them!
Old 04-23-14, 10:53 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by djbuddha
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I'm very happy that I found the right guys out there to do it.

If you're interested in doing an iPad install like this, hit up Rafa. PM me for contact info. He's been doing iPads for I think about 5 years? (As long as SoundMan has been specializing in them).

I'll post more pics as I get them!
That awesome man can he do a custom headrest mount for the GX?
Old 04-23-14, 11:13 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks cool, looks like it sticks out the dash more than flush with it so i gotta see how the final product comes out.

The only things that I don't like is
1. You kinda lose your Radio/CD player on screen (even though the non nav screen is super small). How would you know what radio station your on with out seeing it. Plus CD controls are gone after that. (unless they plan on building an app that controls that stuff). With that lost section, your whole lower cd section is useless. Does the App controlled radio control the CD section as well?

2. You are kind of limited to use only iPads with service attached (because we all know ipads are useless with out wifi). If there is an added GPS receiver that can be attached to it, it would be maybe worth being able to use Google maps. If you had a wifi only ipad, this would be worthless really other than music that is stored on the iPad. Or even a Bluetooth from other iOS device to iPad so that you can use it as a cellphone audio receiver.

Now I am not knocking the idea, I think its great fabing together these custom units. I am just wondering if they are figuring out the supporting necessities to make this mod fully useable with the car. Is it gonna have a docking station so that it charges while the car is on instead of battery running out potentially half way through your trip.

(sorry I'm a tech guy so I try to figure out all variables to make a project really worth it other than looking cool)

Last edited by NYKnick101; 04-23-14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 11:42 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you look at the pics he is molding over the cd player. If you have unlimited music available via streaming you should have no need for a cd player.

Also, I'm pretty sure no one would do this with an iPad that only has wifi capablities......you are absolutley correct, it would be kinda pointless.
Old 04-23-14, 01:27 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
That looks cool, looks like it sticks out the dash more than flush with it so i gotta see how the final product comes out.

The only things that I don't like is
1. You kinda lose your Radio/CD player on screen (even though the non nav screen is super small). How would you know what radio station your on with out seeing it. Plus CD controls are gone after that. (unless they plan on building an app that controls that stuff). With that lost section, your whole lower cd section is useless. Does the App controlled radio control the CD section as well?

2. You are kind of limited to use only iPads with service attached (because we all know ipads are useless with out wifi). If there is an added GPS receiver that can be attached to it, it would be maybe worth being able to use Google maps. If you had a wifi only ipad, this would be worthless really other than music that is stored on the iPad. Or even a Bluetooth from other iOS device to iPad so that you can use it as a cellphone audio receiver.

Now I am not knocking the idea, I think its great fabing together these custom units. I am just wondering if they are figuring out the supporting necessities to make this mod fully useable with the car. Is it gonna have a docking station so that it charges while the car is on instead of battery running out potentially half way through your trip.

(sorry I'm a tech guy so I try to figure out all variables to make a project really worth it other than looking cool)
I have that all sorted ... I'm also a tech guy .. When I get home I'll go into more detail!
Old 04-23-14, 02:00 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Ok I'm a geek I had to write this now lol

The app controlled radio behind the dash controls all the cd functionality via an app

The best example is right here:

So I'm obviously buying an LTE ipad ... BUT only because the GPS chip is in it. I'll tether from my phone (I have a 6 gb plan)

Here's where the magic comes in lol

Check out Kingston's MobileLite wireless reader. I actually have it in my car already and it's amazing.

This little thing is a wireless USB and SD card reader for iOS devices (and other devices via applicable apps or even the browser). It powers off the lighter with USB. It has a battery and when plugged in can even read hard drives when it's powered.

But if you use it, you lose internet access to the iPad right? No! The devices has a router built in and you can connect back to the iPhone for net access.

EVEN sweeter, if you have VLC for iOS.. Anything plugged into it comes up as a uPNP server in the app... Even hard drives. So yes, you can natively stream select non standard formats without transcoding (MPEG-2, xvid etc) to the iPad as VLC plays it natively. Some formats aren't supported with the uPNP server on the device. Maybe a future firmware update will fix that.

I'll demo it in a video soon, promise lol

Last edited by djbuddha; 04-28-14 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 02:20 PM
pchan0
Lead Lap

Why did you went with the air instead of a mini retina for a better flush fit? Can I check it out when you get it back from Soundman, I'm very interested doing this too!
Old 04-23-14, 04:22 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Nice i live right by soundwaves
Old 04-23-14, 10:32 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Originally Posted by pchan0
Why did you went with the air instead of a mini retina for a better flush fit? Can I check it out when you get it back from Soundman, I'm very interested doing this too!
I needed the iPad Air and didn't want to buy a separate one just for my car. Not to mention that I had a fly audio unit in the car and the mini's screen size wasn't a big enough jump for me. If I was going to put all the money in, I wanted it bigger.

We can arrange a meet up sure. Be patient as it may be a few weeks away. He has to finish it, plus ship it.
Old 04-24-14, 12:29 AM
djbuddha
Rookie

Originally Posted by ohiois350
That awesome man can he do a custom headrest mount for the GX?
I'll PM you his contact info. He does CRAZY custom work, you never know.
Old 04-24-14, 04:02 AM
jediroger
Rookie

Looks super clean and the video is hilarious haha.
Old 04-24-14, 06:44 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by djbuddha
I needed the iPad Air and didn't want to buy a separate one just for my car. Not to mention that I had a fly audio unit in the car and the mini's screen size wasn't a big enough jump for me. If I was going to put all the money in, I wanted it bigger.

We can arrange a meet up sure. Be patient as it may be a few weeks away. He has to finish it, plus ship it.
About that fly audio LOL
Old 04-24-14, 11:42 AM
djbuddha
Rookie

Originally Posted by SubieChik
About that fly audio LOL
It's the first generation unit. Throw a price at me if you really want it (working as is) (PM me)
Old 04-27-14, 08:42 AM
djbuddha
Rookie

Tomorrow Rafa will receive the trim pieces, so work will finally continue on this dash (I'm very excited!!)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In progress iPad Air dash mod