IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 IS350 ENGINE STOPPED while driving on highway. Need your help..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 08:50 PM
BJLeaside
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 07 IS350 ENGINE STOPPED while driving on highway. Need your help..

Hello everyone,

First of all, I gotta say I very much appreciate all the valuable insights here on the this great forum.. I started doing mods by learning stuff from here.

I just had a very devastating experience with my 07 IS350 last night and I thought I should share this experience with everyone. Just so you know my car only has 80,000 km on it. Had every recall done at lexus dealerships and followed maintenance schedule. I purchased an ECP when I purchased a car which just expired last October... there goes my luck

Now to the point, I was driving on highway last night and all of sudden the engine literally stopped operating. The VSC check light and check engine light came on immediately. I barely managed to pull over on side road but the car wouldn't start. I started googling on my phone and tried all the tricks but it didnt work. Later the car started but the engine was making very weird loud noise.. like sth inside the engine was banging or knocking.. I ended up getting the following codes:
Camshaft sensor B, Camshaft exhaust sensor B, Crankshaft sensor B and multiple misfire...

I started getting abnormal engine noise a day before this happened but it was weekends and I was planning to take it to a mechanic on Monday. The car is basically not drivable at all.. as soon as I put it in reverse or drive the car dies.
Now looking back what happened last night... I could have run into serious trouble. I almost feel like I am lucky to be alive. I hope that no one here suffers from the same problem.

Has anyone had a similar situation? I also did a lot of research about similar problems but couldn't really find much info. Do you guys think it is best to take my car to the dealership although I dont have warranty on this car anymore?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time reading my post.

Last edited by BJLeaside; 04-15-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-14-14, 10:00 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Those noises you heard, was it a loud knocking noise that increases in sound when rpm rises? For example: when you start your engine, does the sound/engine noise increase significantly when rpm goes slightly higher?

Last edited by idoke1; 04-14-14 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-14-14, 10:53 PM
Sick350F
Driver School Candidate

What was the last thing done to the car? Hopefully it didn't lose all of the oil and engine seized up.
Old 04-14-14, 11:19 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OMG , have you done the camshaft recall?
Old 04-15-14, 07:25 AM
BJLeaside
Driver School Candidate

idoke1,

Yes... I believe the sound gets louder as the rpm rises.. When I was able to drive the car, the noise was getting louder as I accelerate and getting quieter as I let go of the gas pedal. Thank you for your input.

Sick350F,

The last thing that was done to the car was just both front and rear brake pads and rear rotors... I checked the oil and its good... still there.
Thank you for your input.

See5,
Yes, camshaft recall was done a couple months ago. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by BJLeaside; 04-15-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 07:33 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^check your oil asap. Upon looking at the condition of the oil, check to see if you have any small metal flakes. It make look like glitter in oil but check it and let us know.
Old 04-15-14, 08:12 AM
BJLeaside
Driver School Candidate

idoke1,

I actually looked for any metal flakes with the oil but the oil was good... my mechanic also confirmed that too..
Thank you idoke1.

See5,

Sorry my mistake... Just called the dealership and turns out it was a vvt gear assembly that was replaced. They said there is no recall about cam gears which I find it very funny.. I am located in Canada though..
Old 04-15-14, 08:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Chances could be that the recall done could have been a related incident to the failure...a huge question.
Old 04-15-14, 10:20 AM
BJLeaside
Driver School Candidate

mandyfig,

Yeah that is what I am thinking too.. I actually called Lexus Canada to file a report. Waiting for the manager to call me. They better realize how serious it is.... Thank you for the reply.
Old 04-15-14, 10:54 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That's disturbing.. When I had my car at the dealership for a water pump replacement, I asked them about the common carbon build-up issue for the IS250, and they had no record of such an issue. WTF Lexus Canada...
Old 04-15-14, 11:18 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
That's disturbing.. When I had my car at the dealership for a water pump replacement, I asked them about the common carbon build-up issue for the IS250, and they had no record of such an issue. WTF Lexus Canada...
Lexus of (Insert other Countries here) haven't had enough reports to process a state/country wide recall. Lexus of America on the other hand HAS had enough reports to do so. This happens a lot in other countries compared to America. There was a post a few weeks back of a guy who clearly had all the symptoms of the Carbon Buildup Issue but he was somewhere in the middle east and there are no recall reports of carbon issues in these cars at Lexus of (what ever country that was). I believe he had to pay the whole thing out of pocket
Old 04-15-14, 11:24 AM
sm1ke
Racer

I think that's unreasonable. While they are in different markets, they use the same engine, so shouldn't the recall apply to all vehicles with that engine?
Old 04-15-14, 11:38 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I think that's unreasonable. While they are in different markets, they use the same engine, so shouldn't the recall apply to all vehicles with that engine?
You would think so but its all a money game after that. The global recalls have to come from the big boys Toyota Motor Corporation. Anything under really depends on the market. I know UAE has some of the lowest number of recalls per vehicle because the majority of people there are wealthy enough to either fix the problem or buy a new one lol. They even have some recalls that aren't even available here in America.
Old 04-15-14, 11:53 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
You would think so but its all a money game after that. The global recalls have to come from the big boys Toyota Motor Corporation. Anything under really depends on the market. I know UAE has some of the lowest number of recalls per vehicle because the majority of people there are wealthy enough to either fix the problem or buy a new one lol. They even have some recalls that aren't even available here in America.
Yeah you're right, its all about the money. I wonder if some Canadians would resort to driving across the border to have the issue diagnosed by a US Lexus dealer. lol
Old 04-15-14, 12:20 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by BJLeaside
I ended up getting the following codes:
Camshaft sensor B, Camshaft exhaust sensor B, Crankshaft sensor B and multiple misfire...
Seeing this makes me think either there's a problem with the cam gear that you say they recently fixed...or, you have catastrophic camshaft failure. Has your 350 ever had the valve spring recall done?

Bottom line, TOW it to your selected Lexus dealer and have them pull the VIN. They should see what has/has not been done to it and work from there. It sounds like top-end damage to me.

DO NOT DRIVE IT!

GL!

Quick Reply: 07 IS350 ENGINE STOPPED while driving on highway. Need your help..