IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OEM or after market windshield on CPO

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 06:35 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM or after market windshield on CPO

I purchased a CPO IS 350 from a dealer here in Texas back in Feb. At that time, the salesman told me the windshield would be replaced because it had a big chip. At the time of signing the papers, it hadn't been replaced and they told me they would do it afterwards. The finance manager told me that they always use OEM windshields on CPO vehicles. However, when I got the windshield it was an aftermarket. The guys who installed it told me that it was the same quality as OEM without the Lexus logo. After reading some of the threads on this forum, though, I'm feeling that I've been short changed and that they should've put an OEM.

I haven't noticed any wind noise and it appears to bead well, but i don't have a point of comparison with an OEM.

Is it worth bringing it up with the dealership and trying to get it replaced with an OEM windshield? Would I notice a huge difference? Does it affect the value of the vehicle?
Old 04-02-14, 06:42 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Make a stink. See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ower-left.html

Notice my post, #13.

OEM glass is different than Replacement!

Lou
Old 04-02-14, 07:04 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

I used to be an engineer at a Toyota factory, and the OEM glass was made by Pilkington. They just stamp Toyota on it and send it to the factory. I remember having to send back multiple batches of glass due to defects. It happens. Both PGW and Pilkington are tier 1 glass suppliers, and I would not hesitate to replace my windshield with either brand. Just be sure to order their OEM quality glass, as they have economy and standard lines available to the aftermarket. The OEM spec glass will include acoustic control laminate as well as UV blocking and tint at the top of the window.
Old 04-02-14, 07:36 PM
tboo72
Driver

OE is Lexus branded glass. OEM is non branded Lexus but made to the exact specifications as OE glass(PPG or Pilkington).. Aftermarket glass would be like Safelite which doesnt necessarily follow the manufacturers specifications.

I just had mine replaced with OEM PGW(formerly PPG), glass. Fits fine and no noise issues. Whats more important, in my opinion, when having the glass replaced is making sure the installer uses new clips and side modlings(plus a new gel pack for the rain sensor if you have that option). A lot of installers will try to reuse these things when they really should be replaced after being removed.

Last edited by tboo72; 04-02-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 05:21 AM
babaliont
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies.

The windshield is Pilkington (see pics) and it has the tint and laminate that synrgy350 mentioned. Also, they definitely replaced the side moldings. I don't know about the clips, but this dealer has a very good reputation so I would be surprised if they didn't use new ones.

So given this information, and according to tboo72's definition, it appears that I did get OEM glass and don't need to spend the time and energy to make a stink about it? Or should I?
Attached Thumbnails OEM or after market windshield on CPO-img_1317.jpg   OEM or after market windshield on CPO-img_1319.jpg  
Old 04-03-14, 07:27 AM
tboo72
Driver

Originally Posted by synrgy350
I used to be an engineer at a Toyota factory, and the OEM glass was made by Pilkington. They just stamp Toyota on it and send it to the factory. I remember having to send back multiple batches of glass due to defects. It happens. Both PGW and Pilkington are tier 1 glass suppliers, and I would not hesitate to replace my windshield with either brand. Just be sure to order their OEM quality glass, as they have economy and standard lines available to the aftermarket. The OEM spec glass will include acoustic control laminate as well as UV blocking and tint at the top of the window.
The green tint at the top of the window was an option. My original Lexus branded glass didnt have that. When I set up my replacement I was asked if I had the green band or not at the top.
Old 04-03-14, 08:29 AM
synrgy350
Rookie

Originally Posted by tboo72
The green tint at the top of the window was an option. My original Lexus branded glass didnt have that. When I set up my replacement I was asked if I had the green band or not at the top.
Thats really interesting, I assumed all vehicles had that standard, but I realize California models may have this standard compared to eastern states.

Babaliont, regarding your windshield, it looks to be a quality replacement, however I would verify if it has the acoustic control vinyl layer. All automotive front glass is laminated for safety, but Lexus specifies an additional acoustic laminate layer that is supposed to reduce road and wind noise. The PGW glass I had installed in my IS350 has a little symbol on it that looks like an ear. It also is marked with an "A" for acoustic. I would check with the glass installer to see if the "AS-1" marked on your windshield means acoustic.
Old 04-03-14, 02:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Your ONLY recourse was if you had IN WRITING the dealeship stating they would be replacing the windshield with an OEM windshield. Though that is still a good piece of glass, it's still not OEM.

GL!
Old 04-03-14, 02:56 PM
tboo72
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Your ONLY recourse was if you had IN WRITING the dealeship stating they would be replacing the windshield with an OEM windshield. Though that is still a good piece of glass, it's still not OEM.

GL!
Pilkington is OEM.
Old 04-03-14, 05:02 PM
babaliont
Rookie

I spoke to the installer. My windshield does not have the acoustic inner layer.
He stated that the Pilkington is virtually identical to the Lexus branded one and he's never seen an IS 350 with the acoustic inner layer. The way to identify it would be if it had an 'ear symbol', 'thunderbolt symbol' or the words 'ACOUSTIC' stamped on the windshield.

Can anyone with the original factory windshield confirm that they have these symbols on theirs?

I spoke the dealership and my sales guy will look at a few on the lot and confirm that the IS350 come standard with these or not. A cursory web search seems to indicate that only the high-end models come equipped with these.
Old 04-03-14, 05:35 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by tboo72
Pilkington is OEM.
OEM-replacement and true OEM from the factory...two different things. Yes, I've read that Pilkington makes the OEM windshields; but the stamp is the important part.

Originally Posted by babaliont
He stated that the Pilkington is virtually identical to the Lexus branded one and he's never seen an IS 350 with the acoustic inner layer. The way to identify it would be if it had an 'ear symbol', 'thunderbolt symbol' or the words 'ACOUSTIC' stamped on the windshield.

Can anyone with the original factory windshield confirm that they have these symbols on theirs?
Sure! And I don't know about you...but the symbol to the left seems alot like a "bolt" to me.

Old 04-03-14, 07:00 PM
babaliont
Rookie

OEM-replacement and true OEM from the factory...two different things. Yes, I've read that Pilkington makes the OEM windshields; but the stamp is the important part.

Sure! And I don't know about you...but the symbol to the left seems alot like a "bolt" to me.

What options do you have on your car? Do you have the ML sound system? I'm now totally confused. What is OEM and what is not OEM. Is only glass that has the "Lexus" stamp on it considered OEM? The finance manager never said 'Lexus' branded, she only mentioned 'OEM'.

I'll wait to hear from my sales guy tomorrow and then decide if I should take this issue up with the dealership.
Old 04-03-14, 09:40 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, the original Lexus windshield is kind of soft and pits easily...I would just keep the Pilkington glass if there is no excessive noise.
Old 04-04-14, 05:49 AM
tboo72
Driver

A Lexus branded windshield from the factory is called OE(original equipment) not OEM. Most are made at either PGW, Pilkington or Nippon Glass.

Pilkington, PGW, or Nippon Glass branded windshields are OEM(original equipment manufactured). Their windshields are to the exact specifications of the OE windshield, but not necessarily made by the company that made the OE glass & dont have the Lexus brand. If you have for instance a Toyota and get PGW glass replacement then most likely the original OE glass was made by PGW so your PGW replacement is called OEM glass. If you have a Chevy that used OE glass made by Pilkington & you use PGW glass then your replacement is considered OEME(original equipment manufactured equivalent). Either one is good. They follow the exact specifications of the OE glass.

Safelite is an "aftermarket" glass. Its made to fit your car but they generally dont follow the manufactures original glass specs. These are the ones you might run into issues with.

Last edited by tboo72; 04-04-14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-04-14, 12:04 PM
babaliont
Rookie

Default Update

So the sales rep got back to me with the 'spec sheet' saying it doesn't look like the original windshield had acoustic interlay. I told him that wouldn't be on the spec sheet. I also said that I was disappointed they had replaced my factory windshield with an after market one and I requested that he ask his manager if he'd be willing to replace it with a factory one.

At that point he stopped replying to me texts

I'm not sure at this point what recourse I have. I don't want to sour my relationship with this dealership as they have taken good care of me in other issues.

I think the windshield that I have is probably good enough and I should learn to live with it and enjoy the car.

Quick Reply: OEM or after market windshield on CPO