IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Typical Maintenance Costs for IS250/350

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 08:36 AM
patrickd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical Maintenance Costs for IS250/350

Was wondering what are typical maintenance costs you guys have paid for getting your 2nd gen IS250/350 serviced. I know there will be range of costs depending on the service being done, whether its at Lexus dealership or a outside mechanic, but i wanted to get a rough idea of cost for maintenance such as:
-New tires
-Brake Pads
-Oil change
-Water Pump
-Rubber Belts/Hoses
-Spark Plugs
These are just a few that i thought of. Are there any other maintenance i should be concerned about? i currently have a 98 camry so my maintenance/service costs have been relatively cheap.

Thinking about buying a used 07 IS250 off a family member. It has 45k miles on it. It doesnt have all the bell and whistles but comes with wood trim, HIDs, heated seats, moonroof, otherwise pretty much stock/base. Was originally asking for 18k. When i declined, they came down to 17k. Shall I pull the trigger or is it still too much for a seven year old car? the car is in pretty good condition, has been driven well, and has been garaged for the most part.
Old 03-19-14, 01:50 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It all is going to vary on where you go to get your maintenance done, does name brands matter, and how often you do maintenance. I have a full race shop to my disposal so keep in mind that my numbers are a bit skewed but I can give you a good baseline on what to pay for parts only

-New tires- Anywhere from $400-$1000 (depends on the brand of the tire)
-Brake pads- $60 front $50 rear
-Oil Change - $25 every 5k miles
-Water pump- Havent done it yet but what ever the price of the water pump is.
- Belts - Same thing, price of the belts. Actually the easiest job here really
-Spark Plugs - $60 bucks
-CV Boot kit - $25 and there are 8 boots awd and 4 rwd (inner and outter)
-Differential oil- $25

Add labor on top of all those from a shop of your choosing and you got your maintenance cost. Everything varies by brand of course. I don't use the cheapest brand but i choose my items appropriately, Mobil 1 fluids, NGK spark plugs, duralast brake pads, etc. My advice, start getting your hands dirty because that will save you the money. Most shops see lexus and they assume you have the money, or will sell you on stuff you don't need. Every few months I take off every wheel and inspect as well as the engine bay. something you should begin to practice.

Last edited by NYKnick101; 03-20-14 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-20-14, 07:39 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As people on the forum have said, don't go in and ask for the "30,000 mile service" or you will get charged for things you do not need. Check the manual for what you need to do.
Old 03-20-14, 08:22 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 2010 IS250 so I'll tell you what I paid so far:
Syntetic Oil change (Lexus dealer) - $86
Breaks (Toyota Dealer) $400 (replace pads front/read and resurface rotors)
Break flush (Toyota Dealer) $110
That's the final price with taxes included. I changes the filters myself. Hope it helps
Old 03-20-14, 09:12 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think everyone has covered the basic already. However, I don't agree new tires being $400 unless they are low quality one. A good set of 4 can range from $700 to $1500 such as Continental DWS, Hankook v12, Michelin Pilot Super Sport etc

I would also add coolant flush at every 100k miles.
I'm not sure if this is relevant but detailing to me is also one type of maintenance. Full detailing wash, clay, polish, wax every 6 months or so.
Old 03-20-14, 09:12 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Aside from this some dealers offer a maintenance deal where u pay up front for x amount of miles. Of course it doesn't include brakes or anything like that tires....Although some also offer lifetime brakes at least Jm Lexus does ... Figure the basics, theyre reliable cars
Old 03-20-14, 09:27 AM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned my 2007 IS250 for about 5 months now. It has about 104k miles. Since then, i have spent about $50 for synthetic oil and oem filter. Had to replace water pump, that was about $120 with coolant. I was able to do it myself. If you're a "hands on" guy, you can really save yourself a lot of money doing it on your own. Plenty of DIY's on this site for most of the maintenance jobs.
Old 03-20-14, 10:09 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
However, I don't agree new tires being $400 unless they are low quality one. A good set of 4 can range from $700 to $1500 such as Continental DWS, Hankook v12, Michelin Pilot Super Sport etc
It really depends on type of tire and where you buy from. Like i said in my post, my numbers are a bit skewed because I buy everything through my friends race shop where he gets things whole sale, not retail prices and I also put them on myself with the tire machines saving my self the $250 labor and disposal fees. Other than that, the going rate for a Goodyear Eagle GT's online are about $95 per tire at a 225/45/r17 which puts you just below $400 (maybe more for shipping depending on where you buy it from), and they are amazing tires in my book. Store markup can be anywhere from 35-50% to make profit off of it so its anywhere from 135-150 per tire in your local tire shops maybe even more. You can buy a high performance tire like the michelin Pilot supersport, and all those other brands you mentioned at $250 a piece because they are great tires, but when our cars are getting about 15k miles to a full set (which i drive about 15k+ a year), you don't want to be spending $1500 annually on tires.

Originally Posted by Serifiyah
I've owned my 2007 IS250 for about 5 months now. It has about 104k miles. Since then, i have spent about $50 for synthetic oil and oem filter. Had to replace water pump, that was about $120 with coolant. I was able to do it myself. If you're a "hands on" guy, you can really save yourself a lot of money doing it on your own. Plenty of DIY's on this site for most of the maintenance jobs.
Agreed!!

Last edited by NYKnick101; 03-20-14 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-20-14, 10:51 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

NYKnick101, you are lucky to be able to buy tires at wholesale price from a friend. Not everyone is that lucky though so yeah your number of $400 is really on the extreme low end. I disagree with your earlier post so that OP will not have an impression that tires will only cost $400. Will your friend sell tires may be a bit more than whole sale but less than retail so I can buy from him lol?

Performance tires really run around 1,000 + or - and by far this is one of the major stiff maintenance cost if someone is looking for better handling.
Old 03-20-14, 11:06 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
NYKnick101, you are lucky to be able to buy tires at wholesale price from a friend. Not everyone is that lucky though so yeah your number of $400 is really on the extreme low end. I disagree with your earlier post so that OP will not have an impression that tires will only cost $400. Will your friend sell tires may be a bit more than whole sale but less than retail so I can buy from him lol?

Performance tires really run around 1,000 + or - and by far this is one of the major stiff maintenance cost if someone is looking for better handling.
Yeah I tried to include that brand is also a huge determining factor on price but I will edit that post. Also if you and a few buddies have to all get tires at once, you can call vendors to get tires at discounted prices for large orders. When I was in the stance scene for a while, I would order 2 sets of tires at a time because I would get 3 months out of a set until you see camber wear. Only thing that sucks about ordering one large order is getting your friends to pick up their tires in a timely fashion and not having 7 sets of tires in your living room lol.

And yes performance tires does run you around a $1k more or less but there is different tires that meet different needs. Ive gotten a decent set full set of tires for sub $4-500 shipped to my door but For better handling, you gotta pay to play!
Old 03-20-14, 11:22 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Haha, i can't imagine having 7 set of tires laying all around the living room. The rubber gonna smell lol. What tires are you running with $500 budget that provides "ok" handling, comfortable and last 30k miles or more? I'm talking about 18 inch staggered set up (225/40R18 and 255/40R18).
Old 03-20-14, 11:35 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

I'm on Achillies ATR Sport tires at the moment and they are pretty good IMO. Very good wet and dry weather handling. Do alot of mountain driving in my area so i feel confident i every turn i make. Even in the deepest snow storm, I still was able to get around very well. After 10k miles, it has yet to show any major signs of wear. I think I paid 360 shipped. I had Hankooks Ventus V2's before and they were done after about 12k miles. They handled REALLY well in dry and wet but didnt last me long
Old 03-20-14, 11:53 AM
queboy89
Driver School Candidate

Here's my perspective, having dealt with both dealers and Firestone. I drive an '08 250AWD, for comparison.

New tires will cost about $800 to $1400 at Lexus dealers for OEM tires, which aren't the best tires available for their prices. Better tires can be had if you buy them at Tire Rack, or most other distributors. You can get better than OEM tires for about $200 apiece. Obviously, spend more, get more. If you use OEM tires as the standard (mine were the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 or Bridgestone Potenzas), you can get both better and cheaper tires.

Both the front and rear brakes on my car were handled by Firestone. They use Wagner pads, which are just meh. But it only cost me $300 total per axle. That also included new rotors (which do look like ****, but my old ones were totally worn).

I go to Firestone for oil changes. About $30-40 for synthetic blends.

It's starting to sound like my water pump needs to be replaced... or inspected. No idea on how much I'll drop on it though.

Spark plugs, transmission related parts, and coolants are long lasting on Lexus models. You'll want them inspected regularly, but it's possible for you to drive the life of the car without needing to replace them.

Finally, if you do a lot of self-maintenance, check out http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...S250-2008.html. Great resource for various parts, minus tires.
Old 03-20-14, 08:42 PM
patrickd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. From what I understand two of tires are still original. So I'd have to get those replaced at some point if I end buying the car. Don't know how much thread is left on those.
What you guys think about the $17k price? Fair or too much?
Old 03-21-14, 07:11 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

If you can get them down to 16 or 16.5, I think that would be a good deal for an 07 with 45k.

Quick Reply: Typical Maintenance Costs for IS250/350