IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rotating staggered wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-14, 11:37 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotating staggered wheels

So searching ad googling there seems to be a mixed opinion on whether rotating directional tires on a staggered setup can be done.

I believe I can be done!i just don't get it when people say "it can't, just buy new ones". I think that's crazy, especially if you have some expensive tires, you're only using half the tire!

What are everyone thoughts?

I'm planning on going to a local tire shop and get my setup dismounted, switch the passenger side to the drivers, flipping the tire, then remounting. There's a whole thread on the BMW forums
Old 03-15-14, 11:40 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

seems like you have already made up your mind.
Old 03-15-14, 11:46 PM
rohanstar
Driver

The thread pattern on the tires are made to rotate a certain direction and when you flip them or rotate you can have handling issues
Old 03-15-14, 11:50 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dfwjohnd
seems like you have already made up your mind.
I have ....I travel from SD to LA at least once a month, so the miles and tire wear add up. Just got to LA from San Diego an hour ago. Thought I'd post my thoughts and see other peoples opinions...wasn't really looking for a "should I do it." But more of a "has anyone done this." Or a "I think ...(insert opinion here"
Old 03-15-14, 11:56 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rohanstar
The thread pattern on the tires are made to rotate a certain direction and when you flip them or rotate you can have handling issues
Handling issues. How so? What is the "certain procedure"? Front to backs?

I found a good read here but again, what are some "expert" / "experienced" thoughts?
Old 03-16-14, 12:01 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You shouldnt do it...

Your staggered so your rears should be much wider than your fronts... So u wanna run some narrow *** tires on your rear??? Also they r directional and need to be taken off and remounted to the wheels... You should only be flipping your rears with rears and fronts with fronts.

The fact that they are staggered should be the only fact you need which you already knew. Dont get the logic unless you are staggered by 0.5 but then again i wouldnt get that logic either.

This is just basic knowledge that people who purchase wheels should know before hand. Your gonna buy tires more often than a squared setup, rotation is goin to cost more if u dont do it yourself, looking good always costs more not matter what it is.

You coulda bought asymmetrical tires and then you'd just take the rears off and swap the wheels and mount. Same with fronts.

- and to answer the question about handling issues on a directional tire... If its rotation is in the wrong direction the tire will shred along the wall of the tire. Cornering, braking, accelaration will break down the tire and it will eventually blow out on you.

Just rotate the way you should and buy asymmetrical next time you need a set.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 03-16-14 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 12:06 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
You shouldnt do it...

Your staggered so your rears should be much wider than your fronts... So u wanna run some narrow *** tires on your rear??? Also they r directional and need to be taken off and remounted to the wheels... You should only be flipping your rears with rears and fronts with fronts.

The fact that they are staggered should be the only fact you need which you already knew. Dont get the logic unless you are staggered by 0.5 but then again i wouldnt get that logic either
To clarify....

I'd be flipping the tires inside out, dismounted and remounted. Moving the FRONT drivers side to the FRONT passenger side. My front is an symmetrical design. The REAR I'm not going to do, matter of fact I can't do. The rear is an asymmetrical directional. If anyone had a symmetrical directional rear, they can flip the tires, mount and dismount and the REAR drivers goes now to the REAR passenger and vice versa.
Old 03-16-14, 12:10 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

You shouldnt do it...

This is just a simple fact that people who purchase wheels should know before hand. Your gonna buy tires more often than a squared setup, rotation is goin to cost more if u dont do it yourself, looking good always costs more not matter what it is.
My jaw dropped.... I beg to differ. It's gonna cost more because of the different sizes, not because of what you just suggested. When I make a purchase, or put things on my car....I do my best to know what the hell I'm purchasing and what options I do have. Rotating directional symmetrical tires on a staggered setup CAN be done. You'll save money than buying new ones....but it'll still be expensive than a square setup because you'll have to pay for the mounting and dismounting every time you want to rotate
Old 03-16-14, 12:13 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

You shouldnt do it...

You coulda bought asymmetrical tires and then you'd just take the rears off and swap the wheels and mount. Same with fronts.
Please refer to the link I put on one or the replies....

http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-s...nal-tires.html

There's the link again. This thread i posted I think will be educational....

Last edited by g2bme; 03-16-14 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 12:19 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by g2bme
To clarify....

I'd be flipping the tires inside out, dismounted and remounted. Moving the FRONT drivers side to the FRONT passenger side. My front is an symmetrical design. The REAR I'm not going to do, matter of fact I can't do. The rear is an asymmetrical directional. If anyone had a symmetrical directional rear, they can flip the tires, mount and dismount and the REAR drivers goes now to the REAR passenger and vice versa.
^^^^^ this yeah you can do the fronts... It sounded like you were going to try and pull a standard rotation with them.
Old 03-16-14, 12:29 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Many people do this if they want to preserve the tire. I get about 20k on each tire without flipping them

. I always wanted to try flipping them at 15k then I would have another 15k+ to drive before my camber will ruin the tire completely.
Old 03-16-14, 12:35 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Whats your tire/wheel setup and how much camber you running? This is very common in slammed cars running cambered aftermarket wheels. They will Flip The tires as long as wires are not showing

Last edited by jadu; 03-16-14 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 01:07 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
Whats your tire/wheel setup and how much camber you running? This is very common in slammed cars running cambered aftermarket wheels. They will Flip The tires as long as wires are not showing
Not that aggressive, dropped on KW's not slammed. +3o front +38 rear. Pirelli system: P zero symmetrical front, p zero asymmetrical rear.
Old 03-16-14, 01:23 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow this thread is confusing. You label the thread rotating staggered wheels then talk about flipping tires! What a cluster f!ck this turned into...thankfully you kind of cleared things up. It's harder to find non directional symmetrical tires in the size 2IS require. If you can find them for front and rear tires then you can extend the life of the tires by flipping them. But as much as camber kills tires what kills them faster is toe that's out of spec.
Old 03-16-14, 08:39 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

To clarify everything, yes...you can dis-mount and rotate uni-directional symmetrical tires. Here is an example of such a tire :

The above tires I currently have on my 2IS and I've been to Discount Tire numerous time to get them to "rotate" them to extend their useful life. Actually I'm on my second full set.

Below is an example of an uni-directional asymmetrical tire that can not be rotated :

Keep in mind that the front and rear tires are staggered and cannot simply be rotated to the front or rear due to size differences; this can be fixed however by running a "square" wheel/tire setup.

Last edited by Gville350; 03-16-14 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Rotating staggered wheels