IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 09:11 AM
Jesse350IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer issues

So i recently dropped my 2006 IS350 off at my local lexus dealer.. There was a few recalls on the car something with the valves/gear? I'm not to sure what it was, i was not given much detail about it. I just said yeah because it was a free fix on a manufacture defect.. Well everybody knows the procedure how dealers work. Once they have your car in and taken apart. They start "finding" other things wrong with your car that "need immediate attention".. Well he pretty much told me my water pump was leaking, thermostat needed to be replaced and some belt. My spark plugs needed to be change. and all this was going to run me about $1,400.

I don't know weather to believe them or disregard considering i've had my car for some time now and it hasn't overheated so i just feel they are pulling my leg for extra services/funds that probably don't need to be completed. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!!
Old 03-13-14, 09:34 AM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, first off- how many miles are on your car?

Pop the hood and do some searching yourself? There is no way to know if you need these or not behind our computer screen, if you don't have the know how bring it to another mechanic...

Good luck
Old 03-13-14, 09:37 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles you have? Spark plugs should be replaced every 60k. Water pump and serpentine belts also have to be replaced periodically as needed. Not sure about thermo. Hes probably being honest is my bet dealers are just a little pricey
Old 03-13-14, 09:46 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

They just going by service on the plugs. As for water pump tell them to show you where it sign of coolant leak to indicate its bad. Buy it all yourself find a local shop you trust save you hundredths. Pump cost just over $100, plugs around $70,belt $15-30 depends where you buy it and thermostat idk price. The rest is all labor charge.
Old 03-13-14, 09:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Spark plugs should be replaced at 60k mi service. Water pump is a known problem area--lucky for me that I had the carbon build up done while the power train warranty was still good--'06 model would be too late.

These sound legit.
Old 03-13-14, 10:03 AM
Jesse350IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dfwjohnd
Well, first off- how many miles are on your car?

Pop the hood and do some searching yourself? There is no way to know if you need these or not behind our computer screen, if you don't have the know how bring it to another mechanic...

Good luck
I have 80k so im aware that those need to be replaced. however to change spark plugs and do an oil change would cost almost $400? I personally thought that was crazy high for a simple fix, but then again i understand they have to pay the techs to which is fine. I have popped my hood as well before taking the care in to do simple checks, Everything seemed fine. I'm just questioning his honesty because of the rep dealers normally have with situations like this.
Old 03-13-14, 10:06 AM
Jesse350IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
They just going by service on the plugs. As for water pump tell them to show you where it sign of coolant leak to indicate its bad. Buy it all yourself find a local shop you trust save you hundredths. Pump cost just over $100, plugs around $70,belt $15-30 depends where you buy it and thermostat idk price. The rest is all labor charge.
He told me the pump would be $240.a cap (cover) would be $30, coolant $40 and other cost i cant remember off the top of my head.. but at the end was $1400 for everything. I guess will have to get a second opinion and if that is the case just go back to dealer to get the issues fixed.

thanks!
Old 03-13-14, 10:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

spark plugs are easily doable yourself
Old 03-13-14, 10:57 AM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I also wrote up a DIY for the water pump. You can save a lot of money if you do it yourself. The spark plugs are a lot easier to do on the 350 than it is on the 250.
Old 03-13-14, 12:59 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You should be able to tell if your water pump is going bad. You can usually hear a rattling near the front of the engine. Also, if you look at the front of the engine block, you might be able to see some dried coolant (pink if it is OEM). Labour for the water pump is probably a good chunk of that $1400 quote.
Old 03-13-14, 03:53 PM
1000hp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
Pump cost just over $100, plugs around $70,belt $15-30 depends where you buy it and thermostat idk price. .
Pump is more like $160. Plugs are $140. Belt is probably $55. T-stat probably $30. (OEM prices)

They're finding things because they're in there looking at your engine. If you only agreed because it's free, you most likely never take it in for stuff you have to pay for, am I right? If you only take it to the lowest-bidder oil change place you're probably never going to know when you have something else wrong until it's too late.

Tell them to show you the leak. If it's leaking you should fix it. Don't pay more than an hour to 1.5hrs labor for the pump since they're already in there. Tell him you'll do the plugs for parts price only, no labor. And why are they recommending the thermostat?
Old 03-13-14, 04:26 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

my experience with the Lexus dealers, completely honest, but will do it the most expensive way conceivable. If you are concerned, take it to another mechanic.
Old 03-13-14, 04:45 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 1000hp
Pump is more like $160. Plugs are $140. Belt is probably $55. T-stat probably $30. (OEM prices)

They're finding things because they're in there looking at your engine. If you only agreed because it's free, you most likely never take it in for stuff you have to pay for, am I right? If you only take it to the lowest-bidder oil change place you're probably never going to know when you have something else wrong until it's too late.

Tell them to show you the leak. If it's leaking you should fix it. Don't pay more than an hour to 1.5hrs labor for the pump since they're already in there. Tell him you'll do the plugs for parts price only, no labor. And why are they recommending the thermostat?
CL discount from Sewell plug $79 and belt $31 cheaper than your price. As for waterpump you can go after market since oem crap failure issue anyways.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2208
Old 03-13-14, 05:08 PM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also get an OEM water pump off amazon for $105.
Old 03-14-14, 05:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse350IS
I have 80k so im aware that those need to be replaced. however to change spark plugs and do an oil change would cost almost $400? I personally thought that was crazy high for a simple fix, but then again i understand they have to pay the techs to which is fine. I have popped my hood as well before taking the care in to do simple checks, Everything seemed fine. I'm just questioning his honesty because of the rep dealers normally have with situations like this.
The sparks plugs are a labor intensive job, because some of them are hard to get to. $400 is probably a good deal; I have seen quotes of double that posted by other CL members.

Quick Reply: Dealer issues