IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

windshield cracked

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 06:53 PM
tastfulmod
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield cracked

As I was driving my car this morning I heard cracking noises that I could not figure out where it was coming from. Turns out it was my windshield cracking. Upon further inspection I found that my windshield is cracking with no initial chip. I am starting to wonder if this is a defected glass. What do you guys think?
Old 03-05-14, 08:57 AM
tastfulmod
Pole Position

So my insurance company said that safelite is who they go through and they can do it for $295 so thats what the policy will cover. The stealership wants $1650 for oem replacement. Anyone have any experience with safelite replacements?
Old 03-05-14, 09:06 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently Toyota/Lexus windshields are prone to cracking. I had a little chip on my windshield, Safelite fixed it with epoxy and the chip cracked all the way across the next day. My insurance company would only cover aftermarket windshield. I searched around and found a shop which use Pilkington which is the same Manufacturer of OEM glasses.
By the way, you might want to order new side moldings and have them replace during installation. These are the major source of wind noises and they typically reused these.
Old 03-05-14, 09:12 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tastfulmod
So my insurance company said that safelite is who they go through and they can do it for $295 so thats what the policy will cover. The stealership wants $1650 for oem replacement. Anyone have any experience with safelite replacements?
It all depends on your insurance policy cause with my GF 250 they chose oem from Toyota. Didn't have to ask they just said it need to be order and took a few weeks.
Old 03-05-14, 09:16 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see why the insurance would not cover the OEM one.If it needs replacement they need to use OEM parts. you're now owning a civic. There is a reason why you pay a premium over a civic owner.
Old 03-05-14, 09:41 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I don't see why the insurance would not cover the OEM one.If it needs replacement they need to use OEM parts. you're now owning a civic. There is a reason why you pay a premium over a civic owner.
Because the OEM is over $1600 vs. After market of less than $300. Insurance is business to make money. How long do you think it would take them to recover the money if they pay for OEM (the premium on Comprehensive w/glass is a small portion of your overall insurance premiums). By the way, i am pretty sure Civic owners pay about the same for the glass coverage! I am not here to defend insurance companies but it is what it is. Most states allow insurance companies to use after market parts (as long the parts meets minimum requirement). If you want, shop around and find company that only replace with OEM parts (and I am sure you will pay for it too).
Old 03-05-14, 10:13 AM
tastfulmod
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Apparently Toyota/Lexus windshields are prone to cracking. I had a little chip on my windshield, Safelite fixed it with epoxy and the chip cracked all the way across the next day. My insurance company would only cover aftermarket windshield. I searched around and found a shop which use Pilkington which is the same Manufacturer of OEM glasses.
By the way, you might want to order new side moldings and have them replace during installation. These are the major source of wind noises and they typically reused these.

I called safelite and they said that the work order that my insurance company put out includes new oem rain sensors and new oem side moldings, the only thing is the windshield does not have a lexus "stamp" but guaranteed me that the quality will be the same and wind noise will not increase nor will I have any problems with my rain sensors and this is backed with a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-05-14, 10:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't go with Safelite or believe anything they say.
If you must go aftermarket ,go with Pilkington or PGW but oem glass is the best.
Stay away from Safelite.

This was posted here.

"There is a big difference between OEM and non-OEM windshields. The Lexus OEM windshield is specially designed and engineered to provide up to 45% of the structural integrity of the vehicle’s cabin (up to 60% in a rollover). The glass itself is thicker and uses special adhesives which also make it quieter. The OEM glass goes through a very different manufacturing process that entails a very stringent quality control that insures a much higher optical clarity and superior fit. There is also a hydrophobic permanent coating to repel water. There is a reason why the OEM glass is so much more expensive."

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-05-14 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-05-14, 10:39 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tastfulmod
I called safelite and they said that the work order that my insurance company put out includes new oem rain sensors and new oem side moldings, the only thing is the windshield does not have a lexus "stamp" but guaranteed me that the quality will be the same and wind noise will not increase nor will I have any problems with my rain sensors and this is backed with a lifetime warranty.
It is good that your insurance company requested to have the moldings replace. However, I dont think they will replace the rain sensor. What they might have meant to say is the windshield has the slot for the rain sensor.
Old 03-05-14, 10:44 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I wouldn't go with Safelite or believe anything they say.
If you must go aftermarket ,go with Pilkington or PGW but oem glass is the best.
Stay away from Safelite.

This was posted here.

"There is a big difference between OEM and non-OEM windshields. The Lexus OEM windshield is specially designed and engineered to provide up to 45% of the structural integrity of the vehicle’s cabin (up to 60% in a rollover). The glass itself is thicker and uses special adhesives which also make it quieter. The OEM glass goes through a very different manufacturing process that entails a very stringent quality control that insures a much higher optical clarity and superior fit. There is also a hydrophobic permanent coating to repel water. There is a reason why the OEM glass is so much more expensive."
Not sure where the original poster get his/her information from but honestly I cant tell the difference between my original windshield vs. Pilkington replacement. It was a bit noisy after they replaced it but the noise went away after I replaced the moldings. My wife 2014 RX350 OEM windshield has Lexus/Pilkington stamped on the lower left corner and my IS350 replacement windshield has Pilkington on the lower right corner.
Old 03-05-14, 10:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Not sure where the original poster get his/her information from but honestly I cant tell the difference between my original windshield vs. Pilkington replacement. It was a bit noisy after they replaced it but the noise went away after I replaced the moldings. My wife 2014 RX350 OEM windshield has Lexus/Pilkington stamped on the lower left corner and my IS350 replacement windshield has Pilkington on the lower right corner.

I don't know where that member here got his info but he is a knowledgeable poster.
I believe there is a difference with oem and aftermarket and the difference varies with companies.
I've read Lexus glass is made by Asahi Glass Corp in Japan.

Can we agree not to go Safelite?

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-05-14 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-05-14, 11:15 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Yes, Do Not go to Safelite. Find a better shop which replace with Pilkington or PGW
Old 03-05-14, 01:04 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

What some of you don't realize is that Safelite installs Pilkington windshields! How do I know? My wife had Safelite install a new windshield on her Chevy Cruze a couple of weeks ago and it is a clearly Pilkington-stamped windshield.

BTW, a new OEM Lexus windshield is MUCH less than $1k...try in the $700 range with CL discount :
Old 03-05-14, 04:06 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Not all Safelite install Pilkington. Ask me how I know? I just replaced my less than a month ago and went to a different shop when Safelite could not tell me what glass they use (but definitely NOT Pilkington)
By they way, ur screenshot is so small I can't really see. Last time I checked, the glass was about $950 plus over $100 shipping. Then you have to pay for labor to installation. Sure, the dealer has big mark up but it definitely wont be less than $1200-$1300.
Old 03-05-14, 06:01 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I guess it is up to Safelite and their supplier on what glass they get really.

But here's the link to Sewell showing the near $700 price tag for an OEM windshield:

https://www.clublexus.com/g/picture/325784

Quick Reply: windshield cracked