IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ebay LED DRL headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 04:16 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deleted...

Last edited by daileycon; 04-29-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 03:30 PM
SGMISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by daileycon
Those are the older ones, junk. The new sets on ebay are made my Sonar. I got my set yesterday. They actually look pretty good quality wise. I'm getting them installed next week. I got them from dt_moto
I guess, we will see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131477744249
Could you also post pic of how the LEDs on in sunlight? A friend of mine has the older junk ones and the LEDs look way too dim in the day.
Old 04-29-15, 05:05 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know of any projector, led, halo ebay headlights that match any of the oem they are made for. Halogen maybe.. but all others always fall short or at least have a higher fail rate and consumer complaints.

Oem or retrofit seems to be the only reliable headlight option even after all these years.
Old 04-29-15, 06:51 PM
SGMISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I don't know of any projector, led, halo ebay headlights that match any of the oem they are made for. Halogen maybe.. but all others always fall short or at least have a higher fail rate and consumer complaints.

Oem or retrofit seems to be the only reliable headlight option even after all these years.
Honestly oem hid headlight projector for the 2is/isf are pretty awful. It wouldn't be difficult or costly to Make a headlight with superior or equal performing projectors compared to oem.
Old 04-29-15, 11:48 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SGMISF
Honestly oem hid headlight projector for the 2is/isf are pretty awful. It wouldn't be difficult or costly to Make a headlight with superior or equal performing projectors compared to oem.
you are absolutely right... and still they haven't come up with a better version lol. The oem projectors are mediocre but the ebay sets aren't even that. I completed a LS430 retrofit on my GS with no prior knowledge of what a retrofit was. My sole resource was ClubLexus threads and PMs. If i could do it anyone on here could get into these and modify the oem set with a better projector, lens, cutoff.

I wasn't saying oem is superior just saying aftermarket headlights don't at least meet oem. Just baffles me that someone would spend the time and money on something that has been proven in countless threads to not be worth it.
Old 04-30-15, 01:45 AM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are absolutely right... and still they haven't come up with a better version lol. The oem projectors are mediocre but the ebay sets aren't even that. I completed a LS430 retrofit on my GS with no prior knowledge of what a retrofit was. My sole resource was ClubLexus threads and PMs. If i could do it anyone on here could get into these and modify the oem set with a better projector, lens, cutoff.

I wasn't saying oem is superior just saying aftermarket headlights don't at least meet oem. Just baffles me that someone would spend the time and money on something that has been proven in countless threads to not be worth it.
the issue is usually money, and not being able to justify the steep price tag OEMs come with. even when i took the plunge to get 2012s it was still in the back of my mind...but i knew it was the only legit option
Old 04-30-15, 03:53 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Just baffles me that someone would spend the time and money on something that has been proven in countless threads to not be worth it.
Because the lights and threads you are referring to are not the same lights as the new ones. Different manufacture. But if you are talking about the new ones, show me the threads and reviews?

To me $350 is worth trying these new lights before spending $2k for OEM. I just don't see your argument, no one is saying any of the aftermarket lights are better than OEM and its not your money so who cares.
Old 04-30-15, 07:23 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Because the lights and threads you are referring to are not the same lights as the new ones. Different manufacture. But if you are talking about the new ones, show me the threads and reviews?

To me $350 is worth trying these new lights before spending $2k for OEM. I just don't see your argument, no one is saying any of the aftermarket lights are better than OEM and its not your money so who cares.
Yeah I honestly didn't realize these were any different so I guess I will have to wait for your review and updates down the road.
Old 04-30-15, 08:28 AM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Yeah I honestly didn't realize these were any different so I guess I will have to wait for your review and updates down the road.
They will be installing them next week. I hope they are better but we will see. Someone has to be the guinea pig!
Old 04-30-15, 08:43 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

At some point, the price just doesn't make sense on an older car. At $2,000 it's about 10% price of the car (is the lights really worth 10% of the car), so might as well just get a newer year car with the lights.
Old 05-03-15, 10:31 PM
Touge
Pole Position

Talking

I saw these lights use a h7 for the low beam, so I assume a aftermarket h7 hid kit should work?
Old 05-10-15, 05:16 AM
jdubbsISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on someone installing these new style eBay ones?
Old 05-10-15, 05:33 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jdubbs350
Any updates on someone installing these new style eBay ones?
Yeah Same here, still curious about these.
Old 05-10-15, 12:47 PM
daileycon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tro209
Yeah Same here, still curious about these.
Got mine installed last week. Body shop told me they fit perfect and didn't have any issues. Picking it up tomorrow so we will see.
Old 05-10-15, 04:45 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fitment is not an issue according to people who've installed them in the past. The question is the quality as these LEDs tend to last a very short amount of time :/

Quick Reply: Ebay LED DRL headlamps