IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 02:37 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie559
I have the same issues as everyone else. VSC lights came on around 80k miles. Took to dealership n was told it was a sensor. Had it replace. Cost me a total of $600+. Been awhile so don't remember exact. As for the stutter part it comes n goes for me. As for the transmission oil, I tried to change my engine oil n accidentally drain the transmission oil. Lol...Anyhow, I called Toyota n they told me they can fill my tranny oil. Drove my car there with little to no tranny oil. I was told that it's ok as long as I don't go to fast. Anyways, Toyota fill it up for me for about $200+. Again don't remember cuz it's been awhile. So far I'm at 115k miles n no known issues besides the stutter part at stop but it's random. Btw, I own a 08 is250 rwd.
You can fill your own transmission oil for $21 for 2 quarts. It take about 1.7 quarts.
Old 04-28-16, 03:06 PM
LexHes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gville350
Going this route is probably for the best. I find (with transmissions), if something goes, there is more to follow. Best to just get a known good, used replacement.

Let us know how it goes...and the wedding too!
I did it... i bit the bullet. I plan on keeping the car for another 5-6 years or how every it lasts me.

Purchased a Reman Trans from Lexus today... Gonna have one of my techs install on Saturday.

Set me back a pretty penny but it was a lot safer than gambling on a used tranny from shipped from japan that has "under 50k miles" on it from Engine World.

I was hesitant to do it.. but only made the most sense if I plan on keeping the car. Engine was Rebuilt around 120k.

I'll keep yall posted!!!
Old 04-28-16, 05:39 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sewell's reman Lexus transmissions were around $3200 if I remember right...plus shipping. Curious how much you got yours for, just in case I ever need to get one.
Old 04-29-16, 07:18 AM
LexHes
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
Sewell's reman Lexus transmissions were around $3200 if I remember right...plus shipping. Curious how much you got yours for, just in case I ever need to get one.

I'm an advisor at a Subaru dealership, so the Lexus dealership across the ways gave me a few pretty sweet deal. $3k out the door. Hopefully they can deliver it today.
Old 04-29-16, 10:08 AM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

for those of you who got persistent cel and had to replace transmission- was the cel coming on and off before? in the past month or two my cel and vsc and all comes on for a day or two and then goes away. is this something that will get worse over time? maybe I should try to sell before a big repair?
Old 04-29-16, 02:13 PM
LexHes
Driver

Originally Posted by Parsa
for those of you who got persistent cel and had to replace transmission- was the cel coming on and off before? in the past month or two my cel and vsc and all comes on for a day or two and then goes away. is this something that will get worse over time? maybe I should try to sell before a big repair?
I have had cel issues on and off since 100k. sell it or start servicing your tranny now if you wanna keep it.

Also depends on codes being thrown though.
Old 04-30-16, 09:54 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

so my light came back on, got it read as p2757 tcc solenoid. debating on changing the solenoid and seeing if it works out well. if not probably get a used tranny (found some for 1k around 50k miles). do you guys think i should replace solenoid and hope for best or replace whole tranny since something else other than the solenoid will fail eventually? with the "new" tranny i get i will FOR SURE be doing fluid swaps this "lifetime sealed tranny" is some BS. i read somewhere on here lexus dealership will charge around $800 for labor to replace, i will get a definite quote from them as well as independent shops around me.

also thought of selling/trading the car, but cant think of ANYTHING else i would be pleased with around the same price range... germans unreliable, g35 interior sucks, genesis cloth seats,,,

anyone have a suggestion or experience replacing the solenoid if thats the ONLY code u had? thanks guys much appreciated
Old 04-30-16, 09:58 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

also - are all 2g rwd transmissions the same?
if so i will be getting the youngest one possible. i believe they are and can be all interchangeable in an 06
Old 05-01-16, 02:47 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

so my light came back on, got it read as p2757 tcc solenoid. debating on changing the solenoid and seeing if it works out well. if not probably get a used tranny (found some for 1k around 50k miles). do you guys think i should replace solenoid and hope for best or replace whole tranny since something else other than the solenoid will fail eventually? with the "new" tranny i get i will FOR SURE be doing fluid swaps this "lifetime sealed tranny" is some BS. i read somewhere on here lexus dealership will charge around $800 for labor to replace, i will get a definite quote from them as well as independent shops around me.

also thought of selling/trading the car, but cant think of ANYTHING else i would be pleased with around the same price range... germans unreliable, g35 interior sucks, genesis cloth seats,,,

anyone have a suggestion or experience replacing the solenoid if thats the ONLY code u had? thanks guys much appreciated
Change and TCC and see. Still cheaper then replacing transmission.
Old 05-01-16, 03:53 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

true but i dont want to change tcc and have to end up replacing transmission altogether later. is changing the solenoid labor intensive? i know the part is pretty cheap like 150
Old 05-03-16, 11:53 AM
LexHes
Driver

true but i dont want to change tcc and have to end up replacing transmission altogether later. is changing the solenoid labor intensive? i know the part is pretty cheap like 150

I just replaced the transmission on Saturday. I tried replacing the solenoid out but didn't work, actually made the condition worse.

The whole "sealed tranny" mess should be changed. I replaced the SLU solenoid less than 100 miles before I replaced the trans. When we drained the fluid again to swap the trans out, the fluid was nearly black!

I bought a reman box from Lexus to be safe.. Heard terrible stories about getting a used one so I was tired of gambling and just went the safe route. I have driven 250+ miles and I am back in my own car. F***ing LOVE IT. (after driving loaners and rentals for a month)
Old 05-03-16, 12:55 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Glad you're back to loving your 2IS once again!
Old 05-03-16, 05:53 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexHes
I just replaced the transmission on Saturday. I tried replacing the solenoid out but didn't work, actually made the condition worse.

The whole "sealed tranny" mess should be changed. I replaced the SLU solenoid less than 100 miles before I replaced the trans. When we drained the fluid again to swap the trans out, the fluid was nearly black!

I bought a reman box from Lexus to be safe.. Heard terrible stories about getting a used one so I was tired of gambling and just went the safe route. I have driven 250+ miles and I am back in my own car. F***ing LOVE IT. (after driving loaners and rentals for a month)
How much does use transmission and labors cost you? Thank
Old 05-04-16, 12:31 PM
LexHes
Driver

Originally Posted by MWIS350
How much does use transmission and labors cost you? Thank
$3,000 out the door. Labor cost was $350. I am an advisor at Subaru. One of my master techs installed it for me.
Old 05-04-16, 04:18 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

advisor? what kind?
does that mean you can get me a good deal on a new wrx? lol

Quick Reply: Check VSC Light - need to replace transmission