IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low Beam and Fog Lights Error

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 08:13 AM
Miikee26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Low Beam and Fog Lights Error

Hey. I've been having problems with my low beams and fog lights when I'm driving. When I make a right or a left turn one of them would go out and I would have to reignite it by turning the switch off and on. It goes out randomly there is not an order. Sometimes it's the low beam, sometimes the fog lights, and sometimes both. I have aftermarket HID bulb for my low beams without a ballast because my is comes with HID already and my fog light comes with a ballast because it doesn't come with HID. I've check the connections plenty of time so that can't be the problems.That's one problem.

The second problem is that my driver side fog light would not turn on by it self when I put it to auto mode. (When the lights turn on by itself depending on outside lighting). I would have to manually turn it on myself.

Any thoughts??? I need help ASAP!
Old 01-23-14, 09:14 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You low beams it might be that your OEM ballasts might not be compatible, I know OEM is 4-5k in color how high did you go with your aftermarket? I would say try your OEM bulbs and see if it happens with them... About your fogs thats pretty interesting
Old 01-23-14, 09:41 AM
tungc124
Driver School Candidate

What year and model is your car?

about the fog lights, did you have the fog light switch on? or you had to turn off switch and back on again?
Old 01-23-14, 11:01 AM
Miikee26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dannyboy26
You low beams it might be that your OEM ballasts might not be compatible, I know OEM is 4-5k in color how high did you go with your aftermarket? I would say try your OEM bulbs and see if it happens with them... About your fogs thats pretty interesting
I got aftermarket ballast for my fog lights because it doesn't come with HID.
Old 01-23-14, 11:02 AM
Miikee26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tungc124
What year and model is your car?

about the fog lights, did you have the fog light switch on? or you had to turn off switch and back on again?
I have a Lexus IS250 2010. I had to turn both my low beam and fog off then back on in order to get them to all light up again.
Old 01-23-14, 11:22 AM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Did you try your OEM bulbs with OEM ballasts for your low beams and see if the same problem
happens... IMO I would switch out OEM with a complete aftermarket HID kit that we mentioned in your previous threads. And for your fogs the only thing I can think of might be any type of movement you mentioned when you took turns, well I remember same thing happening to my previous car any bump and my lights would flicker and sometimes turn off, so secured the plugs a little tighter as well as ballast and no problems from there after
Old 01-23-14, 11:40 AM
Miikee26
Driver School Candidate

Did you try your OEM bulbs with OEM ballasts for your low beams and see if the same problem
happens... IMO I would switch out OEM with a complete aftermarket HID kit that we mentioned in your previous threads. And for your fogs the only thing I can think of might be any type of movement you mentioned when you took turns, well I remember same thing happening to my previous car any bump and my lights would flicker and sometimes turn off, so secured the plugs a little tighter as well as ballast and no problems from there after
I do use my oem ballast for my low beams because my car does come with HID compatibility. The only thing I did was switch out my old factory HID bulb for aftermarket HID bulb. On the other hand my fog lights was regular halogen. So I had to buy HID fog light kit. And I did tightened every single plug and it still flickers and turn off.
Old 01-23-14, 12:06 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

I looked up to see if you can match Aftermarket HID bulbs with OEM ballasts and a couple threads from infinity and Honda recommended switching both out... OEM is 4300k what are your bulbs now? Wish I could help you more on Fogs but maybe because one of your Low beams turns off it causes the fogs to turn off as well, because remember that you cant have fogs on without low beams on, my guess is thats why they go off at the same time... So your problem might just be your low beams I would focus more on lows first and that might fix the fog problem as well... How long have you been using your aftermarket HID bulbs?

Last edited by dannyboy26; 01-23-14 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 02:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You do not need to switch out your OEM ballast. Its probably the bulbs you are using. What brand are they?

Id stick with well known brands like Phillips, PIAA, etc. I'm running morimoto 5k with OEM ballast with no problems.

Same with your fogs, what brand HID kit?
Old 01-23-14, 02:25 PM
Miikee26
Driver School Candidate

I looked up to see if you can match Aftermarket HID bulbs with OEM ballasts and a couple threads from infinity and Honda recommended switching both out... OEM is 4300k what are your bulbs now? Wish I could help you more on Fogs but maybe because one of your Low beams turns off it causes the fogs to turn off as well, because remember that you cant have fogs on without low beams on, my guess is thats why they go off at the same time... So your problem might just be your low beams I would focus more on lows first and that might fix the fog problem as well... How long have you been using your aftermarket HID bulbs?
My HID bulb that I'm using now is 6000k. And I bought the bulbs from iJDMTOY. I've had it for more than a year now.
Old 01-23-14, 02:26 PM
Miikee26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
You do not need to switch out your OEM ballast. Its probably the bulbs you are using. What brand are they?

Id stick with well known brands like Phillips, PIAA, etc. I'm running morimoto 5k with OEM ballast with no problems.

Same with your fogs, what brand HID kit?
Both low beams and fog lights are from iJDMTOY.
Old 01-23-14, 02:39 PM
dannyboy26
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Miikee26
For your lows if you want to stick with 6k IMO I would purchase a complete kit bro... But if 5k give no problems than you can go that route get some quality bulbs and save some money as well and I bet once your low beams function properly so will your Fogs
Old 01-23-14, 02:49 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miikee26
I have no experience with iJDMTOY ... sorry. But I highly recommend swapping the bulbs to see if that solves the problem.

For your lows if you want to stick with 6k IMO I would purchase a complete kit bro... But if 5k give no problems than you can go that route get some quality bulbs and save some money as well and I bet once your low beams function properly so will your Fogs
I don't think you understand how HIDs work. Kelvin temperature (5000k, 6000k, etc) have NOTHING to do with what ballast you have to use, etc. The Kelvin rating tells you the color temperature that the bulb runs at, and how much light output you will get. As the kelvin goes up (4300k OEM -> 5000k -> 6000k -> 8000k), light output goes down. You can use ANY D4S bulb with our oem ballasts and headlights.

I would NEVER recommend swapping out the OEM HID system as the OEM denso ballast is better than any aftermarket one you can buy. Unless the ballast is going out, its the bulb. And if my ballast does go out, you bet I'm going to replace it with an OEM denso ballast - which I did do for my passenger side.

Again, you get what you pay for - I highly recommend getting quality bulbs. Low quality bulbs is where you start getting problems like described (randomly shutting off, etc)

Last edited by GiantsFan; 01-23-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 04:32 PM
Miikee26
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man. I'll look into that.
Old 01-23-14, 04:36 PM
Miikee26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I have no experience with iJDMTOY ... sorry. But I highly recommend swapping the bulbs to see if that solves the problem.

I don't think you understand how HIDs work. Kelvin temperature (5000k, 6000k, etc) have NOTHING to do with what ballast you have to use, etc. The Kelvin rating tells you the color temperature that the bulb runs at, and how much light output you will get. As the kelvin goes up (4300k OEM -> 5000k -> 6000k -> 8000k), light output goes down. You can use ANY D4S bulb with our oem ballasts and headlights.

I would NEVER recommend swapping out the OEM HID system as the OEM denso ballast is better than any aftermarket one you can buy. Unless the ballast is going out, its the bulb. And if my ballast does go out, you bet I'm going to replace it with an OEM denso ballast - which I did do for my passenger side.

Again, you get what you pay for - I highly recommend getting quality bulbs. Low quality bulbs is where you start getting problems like described (randomly shutting off, etc)
+1 that's what alot of people been telling me. You get for what your pay. I got my HID low beam for $80 a pair and same thing with my fog $80.

Quick Reply: Low Beam and Fog Lights Error