IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lost My Keys, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 01:15 AM
flomtony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost My Keys, please help!

Hey guys, im in quiet a dilemma. I've lost my only smart key i had! The car has been sitting for about a week now. I've already found a smart key through sewell but they want $60 just for the blank key fob and another $20 to cut. I know locally I can get it cut much cheaper.

I've also found this on ebay, can anyone tell me if this would work? It would save me a ton of money as this has already set me back a couple hundred bucks. Thanks for the help in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNCUT-LEXUS-REPLACEMENT-SMART-REMOTE-EMERGENCY-KEY-BLADE-BLANK-INSERT-FOB-/200941368928?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AIS250&hash=item2ec909f660&vxp=mtr
- Tony
Old 01-15-14, 01:28 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, this will work. Just make sure your local locksmith has a laser etching machine. These aren't the usual run-of-the-mill tumbler lock keys.
Old 01-15-14, 01:30 AM
flomtony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Uda880
Yes, this will work. Just make sure your local locksmith has a laser etching machine. These aren't the usual run-of-the-mill tumbler lock keys.
Awesome, Im going to order one now. I've called up a couple places that have confirmed the can do the lexus keys. Thank you!
Old 01-15-14, 04:29 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Do you still have the electronic part of the fob? The mechanical key will get you into the car, but you won't be able to start it.
Old 01-15-14, 05:14 AM
Meguerra
Driver

Default Master Key there are two types single sided and double sided

2006-07 ISx50 have double sided Master Key's part# 6951530300. 2008-13 ISx50 have single sided Master Key's part# 6951550260. Meaning only one side is cut as opposed to both sides on earlier model ISx50's. Like Bichon said it will only unlock and lock the drivers side door, glove compartment and trunk. If you lost the Key Fob/Transponder then it gets much more expensive and this is what you need to start the car. If you buy it new it will run about $105-$150 and the dealer can program it to your car for around $60-$70. If you buy a used one they run from $35-$60 depending on the condition and will cost more to get it programmed to your car because they have to wipe all other key fobs/transponders previously programmed to the car to add any other used one's (previously programmed key fobs/transponders) and most dealers won't do used one's. Just make sure the master key on Ebay is the double sided type. Where are you located in Ca.? I may be able to help if your not to far away. I have one of these
that I used to program my used key fobs. P.S. I would disconnect the negative side of the battery to prevent it from totally draining it if it hasn't already.

Last edited by Meguerra; 01-15-14 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 05:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Good point. I highly suggest that you bite the bullet and order a set of keys. It sucks.

I am in the same situation, I only have 1 set of keys. What I need to do and I suggest you do as well is get a transponder key (Valet key) made from either your local locksmith or Sewell. This will in the long run save you the misery and $$. The Valet key will come pre-cut to your VIN but will have to be programmed. There is a DIY on how to program, I have done it for my SC. The Sewell Valet key is a Lexus key and it is guaranteed to work. There’s risk with aftermarket Lexus keys. Ask me why I know. Been there done that.

Or else get a whole set of Key FOB. 2 better than 1.
Old 01-15-14, 05:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$80 from Sewell seems dirt cheap to me. I had to pay more than that for a run of the mill Honda fob from my local dealer for my old Pilot.
Old 01-15-14, 05:46 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig

I am in the same situation, I only have 1 set of keys. What I need to do and I suggest you do as well is get a transponder key (Valet key) made from either your local locksmith or Sewell. This will in the long run save you the misery and $$. The Valet key will come pre-cut to your VIN but will have to be programmed. There is a DIY on how to program, I have done it for my SC. The Sewell Valet key is a Lexus key and it is guaranteed to work. There’s risk with aftermarket Lexus keys. Ask me why I know. Been there done that.

Or else get a whole set of Key FOB. 2 better than 1.
The second gen IS is completely different from your SC. Smartkey equipped vehicles don't have a valet key. When you valet the car, you push the trunk disable button in the glove box, lock the glove box, remove the mechanical key from the electronic fob, and then give the electronic fob (without the mechanical key) to the valet. Also, unlike your SC, programming a new key is not a DIY -- it requires a Techstream computer and a security professional account on TIS.
Old 01-15-14, 06:09 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Yup just did my research and there's is no VALET key for the IS. You have to either get a Smart Key or the regular Key FOB. I am going to ask my dealer if he can cut me a break on a set of Key BOB for the IS this Friday as I am turning in my SC for a the Air bag recall.

I can not have just 1 key for the IS.
Old 01-15-14, 03:21 PM
flomtony
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and orderd the new key from Sewell.

Originally Posted by Meguerra
2006-07 ISx50 have double sided Master Key's part# 6951530300. 2008-13 ISx50 have single sided Master Key's part# 6951550260. Meaning only one side is cut as opposed to both sides on earlier model ISx50's. Like Bichon said it will only unlock and lock the drivers side door, glove compartment and trunk. If you lost the Key Fob/Transponder then it gets much more expensive and this is what you need to start the car. If you buy it new it will run about $105-$150 and the dealer can program it to your car for around $60-$70. If you buy a used one they run from $35-$60 depending on the condition and will cost more to get it programmed to your car because they have to wipe all other key fobs/transponders previously programmed to the car to add any other used one's (previously programmed key fobs/transponders) and most dealers won't do used one's. Just make sure the master key on Ebay is the double sided type. Where are you located in Ca.? I may be able to help if your not to far away. I have one of these Q00623-Toyota Smart Keymaker OBD for 4C and 4D Chip - YouTube that I used to program my used key fobs. P.S. I would disconnect the negative side of the battery to prevent it from totally draining it if it hasn't already.
I am in Orange County, would you be able to help me out with programming a new key? I just ordered the other key to actually open the car. The battery is probably drained at this point.
Old 01-15-14, 05:05 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi Tony,
Just a little remind you. $20 to cut our key is quite cheap. Keep in your mind that you lost all of your keys that mean they will need your VIN to pull information from factory and cut your key. local Locksmith could copy your key (required existing key) for about $15 but I don't know if they could cut key blade with out existing key for less than $20. Make sure to talk to your local locksmith or where you want to get it done!

Last edited by whitebeast; 01-15-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 05:07 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
$80 from Sewell seems dirt cheap to me. I had to pay more than that for a run of the mill Honda fob from my local dealer for my old Pilot.
$80 is for the cut blade only not include key fob.
Old 01-15-14, 07:55 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Originally Posted by flomtony
I went ahead and orderd the new key from Sewell.

I am in Orange County, would you be able to help me out with programming a new key? I just ordered the other key to actually open the car. The battery is probably drained at this point.
I live in Riverside County Temecula about 60-80 miles from you depending on your location in O.C. but you pay for my gas I will bring my device. So you can't even get inside the car? We will need access to the inside of the car and battery will need to be charged to use the Toyota Smart Key maker. I have a spare used key fob if you can gain access to the car by rigging up a wire coat hanger with a hook at one end to slip between the door and door jam work your way over to the door handle inside the car to unlock it. Just need to pull the handle about an inch out and it will unlock the door. Helps to have someone on the other side of the car to guide you.
Old 04-27-14, 07:20 AM
GaryRama
Driver School Candidate

Will a Toyota dealer be able to cut and program a Lexus key?
I have a LX 470, I live in Panama.
Old 05-07-14, 07:38 AM
KLEUNG21
Driver School Candidate

In canada, Lexus of Richmond Hill in Ontario charges about $85+ tax for just the metal part and key cutting.

however, a warning... they don't have their own laser keycut machine so they have to order it in.

As such, it take quite some time for the part to arrive. I was quite annoyed when their original 2-3 day quote for part arrival became 1-2 weeks.

I am in the process of complaining to Lexus canada.

Quick Reply: Lost My Keys, please help!